Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2022, 04:43 PM   #1

Diamond Plate Dent

My daughter, God bless her, accidentally just tapped the left corner of my TT and put a two foot, top to bottom, one foot, side to side, dent into my front diamond plate rock guard. To me, it feels and sounds like plastic, not aluminum. Is it in fact plastic?
I was wondering if there is a quick and dirty way to pop that dent out, like with one of those dent puller glue kits I’ve seen on line? Or is this a big job? It’s not even a six month old trailer, and I hate to think of driving it like this next spring.
thanks,
frank d.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Our TT is 10 years older and has an aluminum diamond plate. We haven't been up close to the newer units to see if they changed material. I would guess it's still aluminum.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:57 PM   #3

Perhaps a picture or three would help with brainstorming some thoughts. I have repaired dents with the glue stick dent pullers (mainly hail dents) and I pulled what appeared to be a fairly large dent on my Chevrolet Sonic door simply using a suction cup... which I suspect may not work so well maintaining a suction on diamond plate.

Regarding the diamond plate, you can find different size sheets of it for sale on amazon and ebay and certain websites that are almost exclusively into that business. The aluminum diamond plates are able to be made very thin, so thin in fact that they roll it up and ship it in a rectangular tall box. I had purchased some for a section of my shop wall and it was easy to use.

As an example, not necessarily a recommendation.

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Diam...5059354&sr=8-3
Old 02-16-2022, 08:25 PM   #4

Pictures to follow tomorrow. I am almost positive this product is plastic and not aluminum diamond plate. Thank you folks for showing an interest in my dilemma.
frank d.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:49 PM   #5

you could always heat up something like a center punch tip and find an an inconspicuous spot or area and see if the hot tip penetrates. If it does, it's plastic..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:05 PM   #6

My trailer is a 2017 StarCraft (with Jayco part numbers) and the front “ Diamond Plate” is actually painted plastic. If you push on it hard enough you can push it inwards.

There are some tricks body shops use to fix the dented plastic bumper covers on cars and trucks. Search YouTube and you might find a solution to your problem.

When I bought my trailer I questioned the use of plastic…less weight was the answer.

UPDATE: Just searched YouTube myself…

https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAE...lastic+bumpers

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 05:22 AM   #7

I'd be suprised if it was plastic, as a dent the size you described would have cracked plastic I'd think.

Also, because of the diamond plate patterns in it, it will be very difficult to pound/tap out the dent and get the diamond patterns looking decent.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:08 AM   #8

A 1 foot x 2 foot dent will likely have the wood behind it damaged also (if there is any!) you may want to have a look inside.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:54 AM   #9

My 2016 TT has a plastic diamond plate. There is a wall plate inside that you can remove to look at the wall framing. Although the diamond plate is rounded, the inside panel plate may not be.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
you could always heat up something like a center punch tip and find an an inconspicuous spot or area and see if the hot tip penetrates. If it does, it's plastic..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
My trailer is a 2017 StarCraft (with Jayco part numbers) and the front “ Diamond Plate” is actually painted plastic. If you push on it hard enough you can push it inwards.

There are some tricks body shops use to fix the dented plastic bumper covers on cars and trucks. Search YouTube and you might find a solution to your problem.

When I bought my trailer I questioned the use of plastic…less weight was the answer.

UPDATE: Just searched YouTube myself…

https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAE...lastic+bumpers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I'd be suprised if it was plastic, as a dent the size you described would have cracked plastic I'd think.

Also, because of the diamond plate patterns in it, it will be very difficult to pound/tap out the dent and get the diamond patterns looking decent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
A 1 foot x 2 foot dent will likely have the wood behind it damaged also (if there is any!) you may want to have a look inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
My 2016 TT has a plastic diamond plate. There is a wall plate inside that you can remove to look at the wall framing. Although the diamond plate is rounded, the inside panel plate may not be.
It’s definitely a plastic facsimile of diamond plate. It seems many trailer mfg’s use this product as a rock guard wrap for its lightness, even more so than aluminum.

It is supposed to be around 64degrees here today, so I think I may have an idea to pull/pop the dent out when the plastic warms up. I will document the event with pictures for your(humorous)entertainment!😹
Old 02-17-2022, 10:17 AM   #11

Fingers crossed for a successful repair!

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 11:44 AM   #12

So I have a brainstorm last night that some really sticky duct tape would be strong enough to pull the dent out of this very thin and flexible plastic diamond plate rock guard.

How wrong could I be…because not only did the tape barely stick(industrial strength duct tape), the hot glue from a glue gun and dent puller kit barely stuck either!!! It crystallized and pretty much fell off the trailer. The glue stuck really good to the dent puller attachment. Took a quarter bottle of alcohol to clean the pieces of glue residue.

It’s like a giant slab of Teflon. 😂😹😂

Click image for larger version

Name:	920273CE-03D8-48C1-BDA8-6A9D4456275C.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	79073

Name:	0AD0E002-7CD1-4ACE-9CC9-661ACEB951C0.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	79074

Name:	273DAFB5-060F-40B5-B598-E19BC4ACD847.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	79075
Old 02-17-2022, 01:02 PM   #13
EJH

Try a heat gun while reshaping the plastic panel from the backside (assuming you have a way to access the back - might need to take some of the screws/panel off?). I have had success repairing large dents in plastic auto bumpers with heat and gentle massaging back to shape.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJH View Post
Try a heat gun while reshaping the plastic panel from the backside (assuming you have a way to access the back - might need to take some of the screws/panel off?). I have had success repairing large dents in plastic auto bumpers with heat and gentle massaging back to shape.
If I can access the spot from under the bed I may have a way to get to that frontal area. But I remember it was sealed, but I don’t remember if it is just with wood screws. A project for another day.😎.
Old 02-17-2022, 02:52 PM   #15

Thank you for sharing your misery. I'm sure to be more careful up front from now on!

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
Thank you for sharing your misery. I'm sure to be more careful up front from now on!
You know how it is…the first ding, scratch, dent in anything new is always the hardest to get over. I’m sure many of the seasoned folks here are having a good laugh at my expense over such trivia. As they should!
Old 02-17-2022, 03:44 PM   #17

I think you're right in line with the majority of owners. Every edge lift of a decal, scratch on a door, etc......you get the picture.....each one is like a stab from your grandmother's sister's long hat pin.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieSaysRelax View Post
So I have a brainstorm last night that some really sticky duct tape would be strong enough to pull the dent out of this very thin and flexible plastic diamond plate rock guard.

How wrong could I be…because not only did the tape barely stick(industrial strength duct tape), the hot glue from a glue gun and dent puller kit barely stuck either!!! It crystallized and pretty much fell off the trailer. The glue stuck really good to the dent puller attachment. Took a quarter bottle of alcohol to clean the pieces of glue residue.

It’s like a giant slab of Teflon. ������

Attachment 79073

Attachment 79074

Attachment 79075
No wonder Jayco went with Plastic Diamond Plate.. The stuff is cheap. You may as well replace the whole sheet for $75 Bucks.
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond...5147343&sr=8-8
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:32 PM   #19
Site Team

How about a Good Sam sticker over it?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieSaysRelax View Post
You know how it is…the first ding, scratch, dent in anything new is always the hardest to get over. I’m sure many of the seasoned folks here are having a good laugh at my expense over such trivia. As they should!

When I bought my new truck, one of the mechanics at work was checking it out, he said "nice truck!" Then he handed me a hammer and said "go ahead, get it over with, it might as well be dented by you."
mikeplaneguy is offline   Reply With Quote