Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2021, 06:46 AM   #1
DRP

Did Jayco cheat you and you didn’t even notice?

About 2 months ago, we shopped for a 2022 Jayco North Point 310RLTS. We asked for the MSRP window sticker so that we could look at the items included. This was a key part of or decision making process.

We purchased the brand new 2022. We initially discovered that there was no ladder. The dealership thought that it was simply a unit that did not have a ladder as part of the equipment. I pointed out that it is on the equipment list. The Jayco Regional Sales Manager later told me that they “had a run” of 2022 that didn’t have ladders and they had told dealers that they would arrive later. I called up and down the east coast. No dealer stated that they knew this. I was then forced to check every item on window sticker for accuracy.

I subsequently found that they cheated me on the Microwave. I paid for a convection microwave. They shipped it with a non-convection model. This is a substantially less expensive item.

It gets worse. I asked the Jayco Regional Sales Manager what size hot water heater should be in the unit. He said it was a 12 gallons hot water heater. The MSRP sticker says it should be a 12 gallon unit. Jayco told me if I didn’t believe him, then I could crawl behind the heater and see for myself. Guess what…..they installed a 10 gallon unit.

I am working through each and every item on the unit to see what else Jayco cheated my wife and I out of. I understand the supply chain issues, but I will not pay for something that is less than advertised. The Jayco representative seemed very dismissive of this issue.

It really annoys me because many of these units are purchased by senior citizens that may not be able to crawl into the pass through to check some of these items. I have never been more disappointed. Jayco should be ashamed of what it has done. I suspect that hundreds of units may have been sold without the items on the MSRP sticker and owners didn’t even notice. The dealerships should not be the bad guy because they were caught off guard by this 100%

If this has happened to you on a new 2021 or 2022 model, please PM me with your details. I am compiling a report.

Jayco’ s supply chain issues does not give them the right to cheat us out of what we thought we purchased.

Jayco…if you read this, don’t you dare claim that you are being defamed. The truth is an affirmative defense to defamation
DRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:18 AM   #2
Lep

I purchased a new 2022 this year and I'm surprised that I'm having some quality issues too. The auto industry is held accountable with the lemon law that protects the consumer but there's nothing to protect those of us when we buy an RV. Sadly this needs to be brought to the attention of gov officials as a last resort because its obvious they are not policing themselves. We need protection!!! And to make matters worse, a motor home costs several times the cost of a car/truck.
Lep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:31 AM   #3

The RV industry is getting away with murder in terms of Warranty issues & the quality of there builds . Some form of regulation on these guy's is defiantly in order. They should all be required to follow certain build guidelines like we see in home building. Pretty much what people are getting today is something that looks good then they really see what they have when the makeup wears off, which isn't very long.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRP View Post
Jayco’ s supply chain issues does not give them the right to cheat us out of what we thought we purchased.

Jayco…if you read this, don’t you dare claim that you are being defamed. The truth is an affirmative defense to defamation
Can't address the micro, but every spec I've found says 10 gal.

Number of Awnings 2
LP Tank Capacity 30 lbs
Water Heater Capacity 10 gal
Water Heater Type Gas/Electric DSI
Old 10-31-2021, 08:10 AM   #5
DRP

The Jayco site and my MSRP sticker for a 2022 North Point 310RLTS says 12 Gallons for the hot water heater.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRP View Post
The Jayco site and my MSRP sticker for a 2022 North Point 310RLTS says 12 Gallons for the hot water heater.
But you have to remember that the brochure and web site say they have the right to change specs without notice or liability. That is the same for almost all RV manufacturers. Would I like it "no", but it would be hard to fight in my opinion. It has been discussed here many times.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:28 AM   #7
DRP

The do have a right to change specs on their website but they do not have the right to change what is on the federally mandated Monroney Sticker. It is not a hard fight. All of MY items are being swapped out. My fight now is for others who may have been in the same situation. And I do have a regulatory agency that is looking into it. I don’t want to go into any more detail than that.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:07 AM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep View Post
I purchased a new 2022 this year and I'm surprised that I'm having some quality issues too. The auto industry is held accountable with the lemon law that protects the consumer but there's nothing to protect those of us when we buy an RV. Sadly this needs to be brought to the attention of gov officials as a last resort because its obvious they are not policing themselves. We need protection!!! And to make matters worse, a motor home costs several times the cost of a car/truck.
In many states including Arizona thr Lemon Law covers RVs. Ask me how I know.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Ohio's lemon law is very limited.

"Ohio RV Lemon Law covers everything from chassis defects to water leaks, to electrical issues. An RV that exhibits defects in the chassis and the driving/electrical/engine/suspension components is very likely covered if the defect is reported within the first year and 18,000 miles. Living and storage compartment defects are not always covered."

So that isn't going to help anyone who finds manufacturer defects 3-5 years down the road.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:55 AM   #10
Site Team

With TT's and other towables, how do they compute the 18k mileage?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:17 PM   #11

FYI: My brochure stated "EZ Drive with Billstein shock absorbers". I got cheap Sachs shocks and there is nothing EZ about driving it but Jayco says that they reserve the right to change specs.
jacquesmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:36 PM   #12
CAG

Quote:
Jayco says that they reserve the right to change specs.

Which you will find on most all builds right now and is their "out" for the inability to get all of the same parts that they used to get. You really did not get "cheated" out of anything since that line is in the paperwork. The option, as far as their concerned is take it or leave it.

Old 10-31-2021, 03:09 PM   #13
DRP

Quote:
Which you will find on most all builds right now and is their "out" for the inability to get all of the same parts that they used to get. You really did not get "cheated" out of anything since that line is in the paperwork. The option, as far as their concerned is take it or leave it.
This is not about what is on the brochure or what is on the website. They can change that. What they can not change is the equipment on the MSRP sticker that is coded against a specific VIN. I sincerely appreciate the responses, but I can’t stress enough that regardless of how we feel, the professionals that have taken this on for me are clear that brochures and websites can be changed but not what is on the MSRP sticker for that particular VIN.

I am simply asking if they are others with new 2021 or 2022 that had a similar experience, if so please PM me with the details.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:20 PM   #14
CAG

Let us know how that goes in court.

Old 10-31-2021, 04:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Calif Lemon Law does not apply to RV's Only motorized vehicles. I read on some other forums that Class Actions are becoming very popular against the RV Industry. Most of them are being settled out of court. I guess we as buyers are paying part of those funds.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:52 PM   #16

Lemon laws don't apply here. His stuff isn't broken, it's not the stuff he feels he was lead to believe he was purchasing.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:42 PM   #17

Good Luck,,,,,,,Remember all the time you will spend fighting this uphill battle you could be Camping and making Memories……..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:05 PM   #18

DRP, I sympathize with you and wish you luck. I agree that some features not matching the brochure is one thing; inferior equipment from what is on the MSRP list is closer to fraud, especially if there is no easy way to verify it. For instance, my gray tank is listed as 33 gallons, but it is behind coroplast and I can’t verify that. How would i ever really know? Everything else matched the list exactly — I checked when i bought it.

Substituting a 10-gallon WH for a 12-gallon one is not an even exchange, it’s a “take away”. Same for a microwave with fewer features. I would think the sticker list is an “implied promise” of what you are paying for. Good on you for pursuing this for those who aren’t as savvy about what they are buying. Keep us updated.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:24 PM   #19

So total damages a few hundred bucks?
Old 10-31-2021, 07:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
So total damages a few hundred bucks?
I’d think far more than that when you factor in time spent working with the dealer, Jayco, etc. Not to mention taking the rig in to have the correct equipment installed, loss of use etc.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco, ladder, microwave, water heater