Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2022, 05:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
No problem with that, just make sure you aren't in the warranty period on your newer diesels, be it Ford, Duramax or Cummins. The dealers will NOT do warranty engine work. I ran into this a couple of years ago on my GMC diesel. Even the so called deletion units that plug into your obd port. Even bypassing DEF is recorded on your ECM.
Do want you want, just do it after any engine warranty's. Yeah, they do look.
That's all covered. I work at a dealer. Haven't done anything yet. But when/if I do, I'll do it myself. I have the H&S Mini Maxx tuner. This truck has 223,000 miles on it. I'd keep the EGR. A new vehicle may be in the future so no plans as of now.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
That's all covered. I work at a dealer. Haven't done anything yet. But when/if I do, I'll do it myself. I have the H&S Mini Maxx tuner. This truck has 223,000 miles on it. I'd keep the EGR. A new vehicle may be in the future so no plans as of now.
H&S is a good product. With you being out of warranty I'd definitely go for it.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
H&S is a good product. With you being out of warranty I'd definitely go for it.
That's what everyone is saying..
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:44 PM   #24

One thing I don't worry about, mine barely old enough to avoid, one reason I bought it.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:45 AM   #25

I went to Walmart and picked up 6 gallons of their brand. They had plenty of the stuff in stock, no signs of shortage there.. As i was cashing out, the clerk asked me if if checked the seals???? Nope I said. She checked each one, found one that had an open seal and got it replaced. I asked her what the deal was, she said they had problems with people buying them, refilling with water and returning. I asked her why they didn't check them on returns, she said they are now doing that but double checking because of the problem.. I wonder how many folks have filled their DEF tanks with water.. I'll be in the habit of checking the seals going forward.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:42 PM   #26

Last time I checked our NAPA Auto Parts store in Brea had 760 2.5 gallon jugs of BlueDef.
Randy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
I went to Walmart and picked up 6 gallons of their brand. They had plenty of the stuff in stock, no signs of shortage there.. As i was cashing out, the clerk asked me if if checked the seals???? Nope I said. She checked each one, found one that had an open seal and got it replaced. I asked her what the deal was, she said they had problems with people buying them, refilling with water and returning. I asked her why they didn't check them on returns, she said they are now doing that but double checking because of the problem.. I wonder how many folks have filled their DEF tanks with water.. I'll be in the habit of checking the seals going forward.

I have bought the super tech (wal mart) DEF and on most jugs I have bought their seals aren't applied correctly. One side is stuck, the other side is loose. I checked them with a refractometer, quality was fine. Used to cost $7.89 /2.5 gal, now $13.89. I found my local home heating fuel supplier carries 2 jug, 5 gallon cases for $22, probably not for long tho.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
I have bought the super tech (wal mart) DEF and on most jugs I have bought their seals aren't applied correctly. One side is stuck, the other side is loose. I checked them with a refractometer, quality was fine. Used to cost $7.89 /2.5 gal, now $13.89. I found my local home heating fuel supplier carries 2 jug, 5 gallon cases for $22, probably not for long tho.
WOW,, My first thought on your refractometer was $$$$.. A quick check on Amazon and i ended up ordering one.. $20 is defiantly good insurance to protect our 80K Diesels.

Like everything else, DEF is going up in cost. I agree the seals on Walmart brand are pretty lousy compared to Blue DEFF which has a heavy pull tab to break. I like how Blue DEF sneaked in a price increase by relabeling to Platinum. I'll keep using the Walmart brand and will feel more comfortable with the refractometer.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:03 PM   #29

Got some today at my walmart in Dallas and it was 16.xx. I was in Big Bend TX last week and it was 32.00 for the blue def 2.5
Old 06-10-2022, 02:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMTEX View Post
Got some today at my walmart in Dallas and it was 16.xx. I was in Big Bend TX last week and it was 32.00 for the blue def 2.5
Escanaba Mi Walmart Supertech DEF $11.38 for 2.5 gallons plus tax. Lots of it.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Old 06-10-2022, 02:39 PM   #31

Quote:
Something like this happened to one our scouts decades ago. His parents bought him a new tent for Christmas. No need to use said tent until the spring. First tent camping trip with the scouts, he opened the sealed box for the first time. It was full of trash. The person returning the tent did a good job resealing the box, to make it look OEM.

As for DEF, I bought my first jug last week. Sam's Club had pallets of it. I bought 1 jug. I bought the truck (used) 300 miles ago, The gauge has barely moved. It was a needle width over the 1/2 full level and now is just at 1/2 full. I have no clue how much I will consume. I do not want to stock up as I have no clue how much I will use in a year.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 02:59 PM   #32

I think I use about 1 gallon per 900 miles, down to 300 miles when towing.

If you don’t use any def you might check to see if your truck has the “def system delete” on it. Most my kids have def delete. They all still run great. I’m waiting until my warranty is done before deleting the def system.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
I think I use about 1 gallon per 900 miles, down to 300 miles when towing.

If you don’t use any def you might check to see if your truck has the “def system delete” on it. Most my kids have def delete. They all still run great. I’m waiting until my warranty is done before deleting the def system.
Calif requires all Diesels to be smog checked. They charge $55-$65 to make a 30 second check under the hood and under the chassis to check if the exhaust emission equip is in place. I know people that of done the delete kit, didn't save the equipment and spent near $5000 to get back on. If you do it, save everything you removed. Calf checks every two years.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Something like this happened to one our scouts decades ago. His parents bought him a new tent for Christmas. No need to use said tent until the spring. First tent camping trip with the scouts, he opened the sealed box for the first time. It was full of trash. The person returning the tent did a good job resealing the box, to make it look OEM.

As for DEF, I bought my first jug last week. Sam's Club had pallets of it. I bought 1 jug. I bought the truck (used) 300 miles ago, The gauge has barely moved. It was a needle width over the 1/2 full level and now is just at 1/2 full. I have no clue how much I will consume. I do not want to stock up as I have no clue how much I will use in a year.
If I’m not towing heavy I rarely need to put in DEF. Maybe around 2.5 gallons in around 2000 miles. Towing heavy in the mountains out west, 2.5 gallons every 700-800 miles. Towing 16000 lbs, it drinks it fast. My truck only has small tank compared to Duramax.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Old 06-10-2022, 09:54 PM   #35
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
A few days ago we went to Walmart and they had probably 150 2.5 gallon containers on the shelf. Who knows what's in the warehouse. I've not seen a shortage yet and we cover a lot of territory.
Walmart doesn't have warehouses, they have distribution centers. Their warehouses are rolling down the interstate like most other retailers these days. AI ( algorithms) is projecting when and where to direct inventory. What's being delivered to your local WM tonight likely only arrived at the DC yesterday. They don't warehouse anything these days ( no space for it) That btw is why diesel fuel costs more than gas now too, even though it's cheaper to produce. More trucks on the road, more demand.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Wow, that is low, very low that someone would do something like that.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:21 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Wow, that is low, very low that someone would do something like that.

Can’t trust those Ram owners. Shady crowd. Lol
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:40 PM   #38

On another note, be aware that diesel fuel purchases are being limited at some stations now. I ran into this on a recent trip to the gulf. $100 limit. Wonder what’s next?
2019 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring
Rongbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:49 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongbrown View Post
On another note, be aware that diesel fuel purchases are being limited at some stations now. I ran into this on a recent trip to the gulf. $100 limit. Wonder what’s next?
Have not seen that down south yet but $100. is only about 1/2 tank for me.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:32 PM   #40

I was able to run up $199 in Southern California. Next they’ll have loan officers on site at the gas stations.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote