Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2016, 08:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Well your reference to the traveler is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. My reference to "mobile" vs portable is where we are not on the same page. The traveler is a roof mounted system that is mobile in that it will work on an RV but not portable. Use of a portable is an important distinction since it allows for use on sun restricted sites by being able to set up the antanae a reasonable distance from the RV. Another point you may have made is that the traveler cost is on the North side of $1000 while most mobiles are half that. For that reason most people don't want to go with a roof mounted unit.
Understood, but a blanket statment that HD is not available in a "mobile" unit is misleading to an uniformed reader. That's all.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Thanks for this correction. Doesn't the Ka band use have something to do with the Swm thing? What I understand is that switching over from Ka would be a major redesign for Direct and they don't want to do it. At the end of the day, regardless of the technical reason, Direct tv customers are limited to SD when using a mobile antanae.
Researched my own answer. Ka use by Direct is unique to consumer sat tv world. Some years ago direct got into the Ka band usage with the acquition of some repurposed satalites and have launched more of their own. They use Ka for their HD programming. The SD programming is still on their Ku satalites. They are not launching any new Ku sats and plan on phasing out their use in the future, thus the discontinuation of SD broadcast.

For now this is similar to the VCR wars a few decades ago in which the "Beta" technology lost. Or more recently the Verizon vs Att cell technology and is why you cant switch a verison phone to work on the Att system. There are reasons why they use different approaches just as there are reasons why Direct and Dish are different. They both send programming via a receiver but there are both limitations and benefits of both. With sat tv use of mobile antantee the benefit is on the Dish side.

Only Dish portables can receive HD programming.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Understood, but a blanket statment that HD is not available in a "mobile" unit is misleading to an uniformed reader. That's all.
In this thread, the OP specifically is looking for a portable system [not roof mounted]. My use of the "mobile and not portable" term in the context of this thread is not confusing, however it is correct that Mobile vs fixed position does include the roof mounted rv units.

To clarify, HD is not available to Direct TV customers via a portable on the market today.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Thanks for this correction. Doesn't the Ka band use have something to do with the Swm thing? What I understand is that switching over from Ka would be a major redesign for Direct and they don't want to do it. At the end of the day, regardless of the technical reason, Direct tv customers are limited to SD when using a mobile antanae.
Wasn't trying to correct but offer more info as to why there currently is not a domed portable dish option for DirecTV like Dish and Bell have.

As for Ka band frequencies and SWM question, from what I know, there is no connection between the two. SWM did pose a number of issues when it was first introduced but that was more a hardware incompatibility with many receivers and LNB's currently installed than it was what frequency was being used to transmit or the dish size itself. But as the years have gone by, most dishes, LNB's and receivers in use today are SWM compatible so it isn't the issue it used to be. The Winegard G2+ is a good example of this. Although it can only do SD for DirecTV, it is compatible with all HD SWM compatible receivers currently in use.

As for DirecTV not wanting to move to Ka band frequencies, I can't speak to that for sure. But given that most newer sat's being launched by DirecTV are configured with more Ka transponders than Ku (DirecTV 14 has NO Ku band transponders) and instead have newer "reverse band" transponder arrays for 4K broadcasts, that just supports my suspicions even more. And although DirecTV 15 has some Ku band transponders aboard, I think they are more for non-US customers (Puerto Rico, Mexico or Central America) than for use in the US.

So unless there are some major improvements by companies like Winegard to figure out how to use the smaller dish sizes and still maintain acceptable signal strength for Ka band frequencies, I suspect the domed dishes for DirecTV will be obsolete in the next few years.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Only Dish portables can receive HD programming.
And Bell in Canada.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #26

Quote:
In this thread, the OP specifically is looking for a portable system [not roof mounted]. My use of the "mobile and not portable" term in the context of this thread is not confusing, however it is correct that Mobile vs fixed position does include the roof mounted rv units.

To clarify, HD is not available to Direct TV customers via a portable on the market today.
I appologize, I missed the stipulation regarding _not roof mounted_. I must have gotten my threads confused.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #27

Well, it appears that there IS a domed solution that can do both Ku and Ka, is SWM compatible, and can do DirecTV HD.

May I present the KVM TracVision HD7 for the bargain basement price of just over $10,000.00, is about 2 ft. wide/tall and weighs in at approx. 110 pounds.

https://www.amazon.com/KVH-TracVisio.../dp/B003DXR6NU

Kinda makes that tripod Slimline setup look REALLY GOOD about now!
Old 09-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #28

He must work for dish.
No one would recommend them!!!

Directv is MUCH better. Always has been and always will be.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
I appologize, I missed the stipulation regarding _not roof mounted_. I must have gotten my threads confused.
No apology necessary. Have only been trying to clarify to direct tv customers that the portables are SD only. The issue appears to be that Ka band requires a bigger dish to retrieve a strong enough signal for HD and Direct feels that it would be too big and heavy to be acceptable as a portable. Really not sure why the roof mounted units [direct and dish] are so expensive. In my world the portables are the only choice other than the tripod mounted units. I have both and use both for different appliacations. If I'm going to stay in one spot for over a week I may set up the tripod. Primary reason is that they are less of a target for growing legs. On the houseboat, the tripod on the roof is easy because it is easy to level and then all you have to do is swing it to the correct compass setting. If I were on direct I would only use the portable for stays of3 or 4 days. I like my HD and the slimline on a tripod is the ticket. Not an issue with Dish.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
He must work for dish.
No one would recommend them!!!

Directv is MUCH better. Always has been and always will be.
If you are referring to my posts, I am a Dish customer for a number of reasons. First and foremost Dish is much more RV friendly and the equipment is realiable and easy to use. The inability to get HD with a mobile is a show stopper for me. I can't afford to spend the $$$ for roof mount and if I could it would not work well for me as we prefer shade when we pick our sites. To each their own and there are a lot of direct customers so what can I say.

My RVs [TT and Houseboat] are mobile, portable, and 100% HD and my Pathwayx2 cost less than $350 including a vip211z receiver. It doesn't sound like Direct has a solution to HD via a portable any time soon.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #31

We use a simple 18" round direct dish and a tripod. I do have the swm system at home but it's too much hassle to set up repeatedly. A couple of H24 receivers and they lock on in a snap.
2002 Dodge 2500
2019 Ram 3500
Kevin and Beth is offline   Reply With Quote