Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #1

Direct TV/Satellite set up ?

Ok Jayco owners, need some help. I am the owner of a 26BH Jayco. On the opposite side of entry near the back I have an input coax that says satellite/cable in. I am a Direct TV subscriber and was told I needed a satellite which I got (WINEGARD) and had a Direct TV guy come out today to get me the receiver. So far so good. Now, inside near the TV above the table I have a radio, male coax where I have cable hooked up to TV now for regular antenna and just to the left of that I have 2 coax male ends that are not being used?? So the guy said there is a splitter somewhere and because of that I cannot use the set up as because Direct TV will not work through a splitter?? Said I would have to re run cable??!! Can anyone tell me about this? Is it true? If so how do I do this so I can use satellite? HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE!
Coach33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #2

If the two male coax cables are on the same plate, they should be marked A and B. If so, if you want satellite, you connect your receiver to A and the direct tv dish is plugged into the outside cable/satellite connector. If you want to watch cable, you need to have a small piece of cable to go from A to B. Be sure you have the booster for the over the air antenna turned off (light is off). Then plug the cable tv coax into the outside cable/satellite connector.

There was a thread on this awhile back. You may be able to find more info with a search. Some one posted a detailed explanation with picture. I copied it to my hard drive, but don't have the information on that thread.
dfbonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:45 AM   #3

Let me see if I can remember. I’m old so I start everything by trying to remember. On the cable plate you are referring to that has two “male cable” cable connections; one brings the signal in from that outside connection you are talking about. The other sends signal through-out the camper to the other TV locations. If you connect the dish to the outside connection, you should be able to connect the Direct TV receiver to one of the two identified connections and have signal at the one TV location. If you wish Direct TV signal to any other TV location in the RV as well as the first location, you will have to install a splitter and short jumper cable at this location to send signal to the second male connection on that plate in order to send signal to the second receiver location. This is the same process one has to do when in a CG that offers cable TV in order to get signal through-out the RV.

My take on the topic
Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:29 AM   #4

1st I suspect the 2 coax connections on the plate are female and are looped with a short piece of cable that should have been provided in the unit. Connecting the outside port to a CG cable will feed cable into the RVs internal wiring and to all installed TV's. For Sat connect the dish to the outside port marked sat/cable and remove the short loop coax between A and B. Depends which way its wired, but in my White Hawk to connect a short jumper coax from A [top] to the back input on your receiver. Then run another jumper coax from the receiver out to TV to the B [bottom on the plate]. Turn the ant booster OFF and you should be good to go. Both [all] tvs connected to the internal coax in the rv will receive the same channel selected on the receiver. To watch a different channel on the back tv you will need to bring in a 2nd direct feed from the outside dish as you can't split sat signals on most receivers.

There have been a lot of posts about this topic over the last 2 years so you might want to do a search for more info.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:43 AM   #5

I can't promise that ours are exactly the same (26BH vs 27DSRL) but they seem to be similar in setup, so I can tell you how mine is configured. I also have the benefit of owning an '09 26BH prior to this and recall most of how it was setup at the time. The lone coax plate (usually also has a power booster switch) is for the aerial antenna primarily. On my old 26BH, that plate had a rear dual input coax behind it that I believe allowed coax or aerial to both pass to the front of the jack without use of an A/B switch, but this is the part I'm not 100% sure of my memory on. Regardless, we never used the aerial, so I yanked out the powered plate, capped the wires, and replaced it with a standard single coax plate. The upper connection on the dual coax plate on my TT is a direct line to the Satellite/Cable input on the back exterior of the trailer. This is where I connect my DirecTv receiver. The remaining lower coax jack on the dual plate is used to output to the front bed TV wall connection and to the curbside exterior TV connection point (I believe the 26BH does not have this option). With DirecTv HD, you're probably done at this first connection point as there is no coax out connection on HD boxes. With a SD box, you could use the lower output jack to send signal to the remaining TV's as long as you are ok watching the same channel in both places. If you're hooked to CG cable, leave the short jumper between the dual coax plate to have cable at both locations. It's a bit of a shame that Jayco doesn't have separate coax and satellite inputs on these trailers. It would certainly be much more useful in a lot of instances.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #6

Here's the better question - Why do we need a Doctorate in Electrical Engineering to be able to hook up Satellite in an RV??? I'm about to purchase my first rig and boy do I wish I could find an easy how-to resource.
csyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
I can't promise that ours are exactly the same (26BH vs 27DSRL) but they seem to be similar in setup, so I can tell you how mine is configured. I also have the benefit of owning an '09 26BH prior to this and recall most of how it was setup at the time. The lone coax plate (usually also has a power booster switch) is for the aerial antenna primarily. On my old 26BH, that plate had a rear dual input coax behind it that I believe allowed coax or aerial to both pass to the front of the jack without use of an A/B switch, but this is the part I'm not 100% sure of my memory on. Regardless, we never used the aerial, so I yanked out the powered plate, capped the wires, and replaced it with a standard single coax plate. The upper connection on the dual coax plate on my TT is a direct line to the Satellite/Cable input on the back exterior of the trailer. This is where I connect my DirecTv receiver. The remaining lower coax jack on the dual plate is used to output to the front bed TV wall connection and to the curbside exterior TV connection point (I believe the 26BH does not have this option). With DirecTv HD, you're probably done at this first connection point as there is no coax out connection on HD boxes. With a SD box, you could use the lower output jack to send signal to the remaining TV's as long as you are ok watching the same channel in both places. If you're hooked to CG cable, leave the short jumper between the dual coax plate to have cable at both locations. It's a bit of a shame that Jayco doesn't have separate coax and satellite inputs on these trailers. It would certainly be much more useful in a lot of instances.

I have a 2015 eagle Ht 5er And this is the correct way

+1
starcraft69 is offline   Reply With Quote