Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #1

Directing drip from AC

Has anyone done this? Maybe a tube run across the roof to the side of your choice?

I want it to drip at either the front or rear gutter spout on the left (driver) side and unless I lean the trailer 3 degrees to that side it always wants to drip on the front right side leaving a puddle right by the door.
ScarabChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #2

From how i have seen how the AC's are built. You cannot connect a hose and running off to you gutter of choice. I try to have the tt out of level enough to control the run off..

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #3

That's what I have to do. As I said I have to lean the trailer 3 degrees to the left side to make it run to the left side.

I wonder if I can run a thin line of caulk down the middle of the trailer roof to prevent it from going to the right. Kind of like a dam. It may puddle slightly but should run to the other side.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #4

Does it drain from the gutter spout, or the "middle of the gutter"?

If from the spout, I have used a 1/4" cotton rope held with a clothes pin with pretty good success. Just use a small stake at the ground to control the drip. Another member (pretty sure here, but maybe on RV.net) uses 2 pool noodles. Slides on onto the spout, the uses a short piece of 1/2" pvc pipe to connect the two noodles. Not sure what you may come up with to get the drip away further, but hopefully these couple ideas help.

And I try to cheat the left to right level a 1/2" lower on the drivers side to eliminate this. But I also try to cheat 1/2" lower to the front to help keep water in the tub when taking a shower. Our tub/shower opening is to the rear of the trailer.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #5

It drips from the spout. I don't need all kinds of complicated rigs on the spout. I just want it to drip from the left side of the trailer without having to tilt the entire trailer 3 degrees. If the trailer is perfectly level it will always come to the right side. The side with the door where all the activity is.

I just don't know why they wouldn't have something built in to direct it away from the side of the trailer with the activity.

In my particular case the trailer is on the driveway and the left side is very close to the edge of the driveway so I want the water to drip in the grass, not on the driveway leaving it wet all the time.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #6

What about running some cotton rope/cord to act as a wick running from inside the A/C to the drivers side gutter. May not have to worry about it getting clogged and may be enough to steer the water that way.
DadRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:33 PM   #7

Yeah I guess the wick idea would work. I was looking for something more permanent though.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #8

I think the guy on "Love your RV" has some ideas on this topic. From what I can tell, he used some tubing as a guide for where he wanted the water to go and placed some 4 inch EternaBond tape over the tubing lengthwise. Note that the tubing/EternaBond was not used to hold water....it was used to channel it. The water ran alongside the tubing/EternaBond to the gutter.

EternaBond is pretty permanent. There's a way to get it up, but it's a LOT of work, so make sure it's where you want it to go before you stick it down.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote