Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2024, 03:56 AM   #1

Dirty Camper

I just realized how dirty my camper is. Black streaks, etc. It is a 2022, sitting on a lot since April of 2022, bought by me in October 2023. All that time and its not had a bath.

I only have a single day off between now and Monday. That's when I head out for the first time. I don't think I'll be washing down the entire camper on the one day.

I'm kinda embarrassed to be rolling into the campground with such an unsightly Jayco
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:31 AM   #2
Site Team

I use a small electric powered pressure washer.. I can knock mine out in a couple of hours. Just to get it clean. Now waxing, that's another day!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:41 AM   #3

Our camper storage is in a rural area. Periodically, I take it to a car wash that has tall bays designed for big trucks. I use the foam brush then give it a good hosing off. It costs a few bucks but does a good job.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:48 AM   #4

Clean the roof first, paying special attention to the gutters. You can clean the sides all day long, but the first rain will wash a small layer of dirt off the roof/gutters and cause those black streaks to come right back.

After cleaning from the top down, I use a little rubbing compound to remove the black streaks. Follow up those problem areas with a good wax to make it easier to clean in the future. Lots of people keep RVs in storage and the first trip is always a dirty camper. It happens.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 08:38 AM   #5

At home, I park under a black walnut tree. Messiest tree on the face of the earth. It drops or drips something all year long, and everything turns brown. During the fall, the back of the tt looks horrid, wash it and a few days later it is covered in brown splats. Walnuts hit the shed roof, and bounce into the back of the TT, looks like a paintball gun attacked the TT. I wash often, but at some points in time in the year I through up my hands and say who cares, and I go camping. I don't wash it again until spring as it is a loosing battle.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:32 PM   #6

I have always had good results with Simple Green. Get wet, spray Simple Green, brush, rinse and all is clean.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Clean the roof first, paying special attention to the gutters. You can clean the sides all day long, but the first rain will wash a small layer of dirt off the roof/gutters and cause those black streaks to come right back.

After cleaning from the top down, I use a little rubbing compound to remove the black streaks. Follow up those problem areas with a good wax to make it easier to clean in the future. Lots of people keep RVs in storage and the first trip is always a dirty camper. It happens.
I follow the same pattern. Clean the roof and then the rest of the trailer, followed up by Meguiar's Cleaner Wax for RVs/Marine - Available at Harbor Freight - https://www.harborfreight.com/32-oz-..._q=meguiar%27s. My trailer has aluminum siding and this works great, especially for black streaks. I apply it in the spring and it also makes cleaning much easier during the summer, and then I reapply in the fall to protect for the winter.

Thanks to LuckyDuck for pointing me in the direction of this!

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 02:24 PM   #8

I never clean from the top down, the detergent from the roof will leave even more black streaks on the side. if you start at the bottom up, once the sides are clean the roof draining off don't leave marks.

another tip, cleaning the awning. put awning cleaner mix in a pump up sprayer. stray it on bottom of awning, then close the awning. after about 15 minutes open awning and most stains rinse off.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:38 PM   #9

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the great tips!
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:53 PM   #10

A little spendy but if you only wash every year or are time limitedÖ..Blue Beacon truck wash. Iíve used them 3 times now. Once mid trip in Salina, KS and a couple times closer to home. Actually Salina may have been another brand. Anyway, I just ask them not to use the 3 million psi power wash wands.
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 04:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
A little spendy but if you only wash every year or are time limitedÖ..Blue Beacon truck wash. Iíve used them 3 times now. Once mid trip in Salina, KS and a couple times closer to home. Actually Salina may have been another brand. Anyway, I just ask them not to use the 3 million psi power wash wands.
Now that's a good idea. I'm going down I-95 in CT. I know there are 2 truck washes within 20 minutes of my destination.

I guess I'd just have to be sure they don't use high pressure on the camper.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2024, 12:43 PM   #12

Great recommendations.

I've owned ours since October 2023. Washed it for the first time maybe 3 months in at a do it yourself car wash. 5 minutes/5 dollars for initial rinse, 5 minutes/5 dollars for soaping brush, 5 minutes/5 dollars for final rinse. 15 bucks, 15 minutes. Dried what I could. This was a regular car wash for regular cars. The rig is 11.5 feet and they are usually tall enough.

However this past weekend I gave it its true first wash at home.

Bought this brush and it worked great:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JBZLLLY...t_details&th=1

Nice long pole. It was the first time I was able to reach the bunker top the right way. I didn't wash the roof first because it looked fairly clean. It's parked on the driveway on a slight incline and it has been raining for spring, so while it can be better, it was not bad.

As for the sides/front/back, everything took 2-3 hours. Washed the sides, back and front individually, drying after each section. Looked beautiful after. I used a simple house ladder to get to the top and dry off areas. There was no need to use the ladder for the brushing since I had the product above.

Just the brush and the bucket/soap/hose.

I do need to wax though.
Old 06-01-2024, 12:44 PM   #13

Black streaks

I have fought this here in Florida many times. I have tried simple green, maguires, camco black streak remover and several other cleaners. THEY donít get it done.
Reading many articles I have found the solution. LA awesome from dollar tree absolutely works. LA Awesome is almost a wipe on wipe off, no hard scrubbing. Second is soft scrub. I tried soft scrub before I found out about LA Awesome and it is a close second, but takes more elbow grease.
PS I bought the Mcquires and just didnít do a thing. That was another recommendation that didnít even touch the black streaks.
Grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 03:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiom View Post
Great recommendations.

I've owned ours since October 2023. Washed it for the first time maybe 3 months in at a do it yourself car wash. 5 minutes/5 dollars for initial rinse, 5 minutes/5 dollars for soaping brush, 5 minutes/5 dollars for final rinse. 15 bucks, 15 minutes. Dried what I could. This was a regular car wash for regular cars. The rig is 11.5 feet and they are usually tall enough.

However this past weekend I gave it its true first wash at home.

Bought this brush and it worked great:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JBZLLLY...t_details&th=1

Nice long pole. It was the first time I was able to reach the bunker top the right way. I didn't wash the roof first because it looked fairly clean. It's parked on the driveway on a slight incline and it has been raining for spring, so while it can be better, it was not bad.

As for the sides/front/back, everything took 2-3 hours. Washed the sides, back and front individually, drying after each section. Looked beautiful after. I used a simple house ladder to get to the top and dry off areas. There was no need to use the ladder for the brushing since I had the product above.

Just the brush and the bucket/soap/hose.

I do need to wax though.
My favorite store Harbor Freight has an extension pole with wash brush and it hooks to your hose, on sale for $14.99. I got up early yesterday and went to the store. They had ONE and it was mine!

I just got back from a four day trip on Friday. I'm happy I didn't wash the camper, because the spot I camped at was shaded, but those trees were all shedding those stringy tree things. Then it rained one night, so it all made an incredible mess on the camper and truck. I was sure to bring a small step ladder, so I was able to use a small broom to clear the slide as much as possible.

Yesterday I used the new extension brush/hose thingie to wash the camper. It made easy work of it. The black streaks are very faint now, but still sort of there. I used Professional strength DAWN pots and pans detergent. It worked well at cutting right through all the dirt.

Tomorrow, iIf they follow through, I have a guy coming over to lay a cote of wax on the camper and give it a buffing. A woman who serves at my restaurant, it is her husband. He is a professional detailer. He's been detailing cars for decades. He's going to do it. There are some jobs that just aren't worth my time and effort. Especially if they don't interest me. Waxing and polishing on a nice day is not my 'thing.' That's one of the jobs I like to farm out to someone else.

I didn't feel like climbing a ladder yesterday to address the roof or the top of the awning. So, I washed and sprayed the awning underside, then stood up in the camper doorway, holding the hose. I pulled the awning in, one revolution at a time. Each time pulling the awning in, hosing off the upper part as it rolled in toward me. It worked out great.

Tomorrow I'm getting up there and washing the roof. It needs a good cleaning.
Old 06-01-2024, 03:56 PM   #15

Dirty Camper…. I clicked on the thread thinking this was gonna be one of those fireside stories of the escapades in a camper with a pineapple light hanging on the awning….��*♂️��
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 04:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
My favorite store Harbor Freight has an extension pole with wash brush and it hooks to your hose, on sale for $14.99. I got up early yesterday and went to the store. They had ONE and it was mine!

I just got back from a four day trip on Friday. I'm happy I didn't wash the camper, because the spot I camped at was shaded, but those trees were all shedding those stringy tree things. Then it rained one night, so it all made an incredible mess on the camper and truck. I was sure to bring a small step ladder, so I was able to use a small broom to clear the slide as much as possible.

Yesterday I used the new extension brush/hose thingie to wash the camper. It made easy work of it. The black streaks are very faint now, but still sort of there. I used Professional strength DAWN pots and pans detergent. It worked well at cutting right through all the dirt.

Tomorrow, iIf they follow through, I have a guy coming over to lay a cote of wax on the camper and give it a buffing. A woman who serves at my restaurant, it is her husband. He is a professional detailer. He's been detailing cars for decades. He's going to do it. There are some jobs that just aren't worth my time and effort. Especially if they don't interest me. Waxing and polishing on a nice day is not my 'thing.' That's one of the jobs I like to farm out to someone else.

I didn't feel like climbing a ladder yesterday to address the roof or the top of the awning. So, I washed and sprayed the awning underside, then stood up in the camper doorway, holding the hose. I pulled the awning in, one revolution at a time. Each time pulling the awning in, hosing off the upper part as it rolled in toward me. It worked out great.

Tomorrow I'm getting up there and washing the roof. It needs a good cleaning.
Nice progress!

How did you like the pole thing? I was originally looking into a pole that could connect water to it, but all the ones I came across on Amazon had mixed reviews and people said they were flimsy. But yeah, that was my original intent. Congrats on washing it!

I agree, if it's a good price, hiring someone w/ experience to polish and wax might be worth it. I've never done it before, either.
Old 06-02-2024, 07:08 AM   #17

We are new to the fifth wheel experience. I have been experimenting with some products and found that the 303 black streak remover works pretty good after washing. You spray it on leave it for a couple minutes and wipe it off. I really like this brand of bug remover also.
Mlstritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 07:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadieWingZ View Post
Dirty Camper…. I clicked on the thread thinking this was gonna be one of those fireside stories of the escapades in a camper with a pineapple light hanging on the awning….��*♂️��

'Great minds think alike'

I giggled when I wrote the title to the thread.

It's a beautiful day and what makes it more beautiful?
I'm not the one waxing the camper.
I know a very nice man who does it for a living and I was happy to throw him the work.

You can see his feet at the other end of the slide out.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 9.07.47 AM.jpg  
Old 06-02-2024, 07:15 AM   #19

Now that’s funny!!!! Thanks for good laugh…
Mlstritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 07:27 AM   #20

Talk about a serious swerve from a thread topic, LOL, All these smooth sided campers benefit cosmetically long term with a good waxing . But that's truly is a job for people and even youth that do it fulltime with the proper equipment. I would add that there are several great silicone applications in lieu of most wax products that cost more anda bit better to seal the surfaces and do not allow airborne black marks to lay in the protective coatings. But its recommended to be applied in the shade.