Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2022, 07:22 AM   #1

Disaster averted

Check your spring shackles frequently people.
I had some routine work on the trailer brakes of my Jayco Eagle this week. This is what they found, one of the shackles (if you don't know what they are google it) was worn almost all the way through. All 16 of them were badly elongated.
Disaster waiting to happen in just a few more miles.
2016 5th wheel had 20,000 miles on it.
Replaced this cheap, inferior metal with more robust shackles and wet bolts.
Thanks to Motors in Motion in Gainesville, Ga. for catching this.
By the way, if you need under carriage work, don't wait forever for Camping World to get to you and then pay high prices. Check with any local company that sells and services landscape and construction trailers. They can't fix your RV Refrigerator, but they know a lot more about axels, suspensions and brakes than any RV dealer.

Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:07 AM   #2

Good Reminder.

Decades ago we lost the center equalizer on one side, while traveling in Montana. It was a simple stamped metal design. Have no clue when it broke that day, found it was we pulled into a rustic BLM campground. As we backed into our site, we noticed water under the TT. Determined the dropped suspension height caused use to drag the sewer lines as we pulled into the CG, breaking a few pipes and fittings.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:14 AM   #3

Glad you were proactive and able to catch the potential for disaster. I upgraded shackles and wet bolts and every trailer I've ever owned. I just brought my 2022 33RBTS home and have already order the CRE 3000 and shackle / Wet Bolt Kit. I also replace the OEM wheel bearings with Timkens right out of the gate!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:40 AM   #4

know problem...they shouldn't install those any longer when there are better solutions.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:09 AM   #5

We must cast off the shackles of yesterday.....
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/93cc111...6-1a0229941ace
Old 04-13-2022, 11:00 AM   #6

I strongly agree with all the above.
Wanted to get my trailer inspected (yep, we are in Pennsylvania, a state that requires inspections). Went to Camping World 3 months before the inspection was due. Said they wouldn't be able to get to it for 5 months. (Hershey Show was 3 weeks away). So, I went to Meyers. They couldn't get it oy for 4 months and may be longer depending on how many trailers they sell at the Hershey show. Hummph!
SO, I called AJ's Truck & Trailer Center and they said, could you bring it in on Thursday? (I called them on Tuesday) SURE, said I.
AJ's Truck & Trailer Center has been my go to place since then. They repack my bearings every other state inspection and at the inspection 2 years ago, I had them put on the CRE 3000 and shackle / Wet Bolt Kit.
I have been very happy with them and there is never more than a couple days wait time.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:27 PM   #7

When I recently upgraded my shackles and pins the old ones were worn into the spring eyes. Went to the local Jayco dealer they do not stock any springs. I ended up finding them at a local trailer repair shop. Only 35 dollars a piece. They also had a good inventory of other rv parts. This will be my go to place in the future.
Shokyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:39 AM   #8

Is this issue primarily with TT's or do class C or A also experience this?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 04:28 AM   #9

+1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Is this issue primarily with TT's or do class C or A also experience this?
My TT is new but I'm curious because this sounds like something I need to stay ahead of.
wordsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 05:44 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I strongly agree with all the above.
Wanted to get my trailer inspected (yep, we are in Pennsylvania, a state that requires inspections). Went to Camping World 3 months before the inspection was due. Said they wouldn't be able to get to it for 5 months. (Hershey Show was 3 weeks away). So, I went to Meyers. They couldn't get it oy for 4 months and may be longer depending on how many trailers they sell at the Hershey show. Hummph!
SO, I called AJ's Truck & Trailer Center and they said, could you bring it in on Thursday? (I called them on Tuesday) SURE, said I.
AJ's Truck & Trailer Center has been my go to place since then. They repack my bearings every other state inspection and at the inspection 2 years ago, I had them put on the CRE 3000 and shackle / Wet Bolt Kit.
I have been very happy with them and there is never more than a couple days wait time.
Smouse Trucks, Vans, and, Trailers here in western PA is similar. Huge facility but always very accommodating.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:49 AM   #11

Since we are shouting out local shops - Truck and Trailer Depot in New Windsor NY is my go to. Owners are outstanding and their customer service is outstanding. NY requires trailer inspections as well although most folks don't do it. I do just about all of my own maintenance and repairs but buy many of my parts from them. They have guided me through some things that had me scratching my head at times too!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:57 PM   #12

Leaf Spring failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Check your spring shackles frequently people.
I had some routine work on the trailer brakes of my Jayco Eagle this week. This is what they found, one of the shackles (if you don't know what they are google it) was worn almost all the way through. All 16 of them were badly elongated.
Disaster waiting to happen in just a few more miles.
2016 5th wheel had 20,000 miles on it.
Replaced this cheap, inferior metal with more robust shackles and wet bolts.
Thanks to Motors in Motion in Gainesville, Ga. for catching this.
By the way, if you need under carriage work, don't wait forever for Camping World to get to you and then pay high prices. Check with any local company that sells and services landscape and construction trailers. They can't fix your RV Refrigerator, but they know a lot more about axels, suspensions and brakes than any RV dealer.

Last July coming back from camping in our SLX 195RB the leaf snapped, the right wheel pushed through the wheel housing, knocked the dinette off the wall, banged into the frame and bent it, etc. Yes, the unit was totaled. Terrible ordeal. The only good thing was that insurance gave us more than we paid. Bad thing was we missed a September camping trip. Springs must be chinese as well.
artie p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:18 PM   #13

Glad you caught it!

We had a leaf break but were fortunate to have it happen near Trimont, Minnesota where Borntrager Auto Body towed it to their shop and installed heavier duty springs on both sides in a couple hours time and for a very low cost. When we got back home we had it checked at AB Spring Service where they made sure everything was better than ever. Great service from both these outfits!

Every spring I have an axle and alignment shop that specializes in trailers inspect, repack or replace the wheel bearings and check the brakes on my 16XRB.

We've been averaging 10-12,000 miles per year over the last five years and preventive maintenance goes a long way toward peace of mind.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:40 AM   #14

Replaced wet bolts and shackles on my 2014 Pinnacle last year. Not to hard to do yourself if mechanically inclined. The rear bushings on both sides were trashed and the holes to grease bolts clogged, other wise everything looked okay with about 20,000-25,000 miles on them. Plan to install Morryde x-factor leafspring suspension cross member this year and possible roadmaster shocks this year or next.
and
2 Zuchons or ( Beesh&*s) named Maggie and Bullet
silveradoboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 05:06 AM   #15

I'll throw a shout out to my shop, ME! Lol!
I think that was one of the first mods I did was change out my factory shackles and bolts to Moryde shackles and wet bolts. Mine didnt have a much for miles on it considering it was maybe a year old. I wasnt too surprised at how worn out they were when I made the upgrade though.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:51 AM   #16

Last year while getting bearings repacked, asked maintainer to check brakes, chassis too. I hope this is something they would see.
lrhogusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 06:25 AM   #17

I bit the bullet this year and had a local trailer shop replace everything under the chassis.

The places we camp require a lot of travel on washboard roads so initially, I wanted to strengthen the suspension to avoid a problem while out in the wilderness. Ironically, a leaf spring broke the night before service as I was bringing the trailer home to clean it out. Fortunately, I was not on the highway or tight road so had plenty of room to fix the spring.

Ended up upgrading the springs to 4,000lb springs to take the constant load of the trailer. Also added the MorYde crossmember kit along with new axle, brakes and tires.

Iron Bear Trailers in Denver did a fantastic job.
Ugeesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:19 PM   #18

I have a bunch of miles on mine. Two years after buying factory replaced my entire suspension for sidewall tire rub on slide. Which turned into the recall. I just replaced all bushings, shackles, wet bolts and added the crossmember to rear hangers. My extended warranty replaced the rubber spring torsion blocks. The left one was split half way thru. So counting with new build I have been thru three sets of everything except just two sets of leaf springs.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote