Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2022, 02:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL9001 View Post

Probably not be wise to talk about that here or else this thread might get quickly shut down.
You are right. I'm done.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Got you beat by 10 years...1958 for me. During the week there were hardly any lines, except for the most popular rides...the "E" ticket ones. During the summer we went 3-4 times a week. Other days we would go to Knotts Berry Farm. Admission and parking were free and the longest lines were at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner restaurant, $3.99 if I remember correctly.
I went in ‘57 or ‘58 with mom n dad. I vaguely remember the tickets and have no clue what they spent but I remember being in awe of everything I saw and experienced, it was truly magic in my eyes.

Fast forward to ‘14, the Bride and I had purchased the 5th and decided an off season to WDW would be great. FW was awesome and the lines were manageable. We’ve visited a few other times and stayed on property and always enjoyed.

The last time was ‘18 or ‘19 with the G’son (and his parents). We had a cart, delux meal plan (which we had a blast with figuring out how to get the best bang-for-buck).
The current tales of WDW leave me sad and hesitant to visit again. Sad.
It’s not so much paying more, but the sea of humanity to deal with that puts me off. Spending 8 hrs in the park and potentially riding 6-8 attractions isn’t what a vaca is about.

The trip w the G’son we had the wristbands, even that was fun.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:18 PM   #23

I appreciate all of the responses. Lots of info that will help us plan our trip. It sounds like careful planing and paying attention to the details is more important than ever.

Thanks Again
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
I appreciate all of the responses. Lots of info that will help us plan our trip. It sounds like careful planing and paying attention to the details is more important than ever.

Thanks Again
You do need to keep checking as things are still somewhat turned upside down right now, post COVID. What the situation will be this fall is really anybody's guess. As was mentioned everybody's frustrations are currently in play coming out of the lock downs. The current state of affairs may not be an indication of what happens later this year, hopefully things will calm down.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:37 PM   #25

As a kid, I grew up in Anaheim CA. As I grew up in High School, many of my friends worked at Disneyland in the 70's thru the 90's. Lots of them worked at Knott's Berry Farm too (that was when the park did not charge admission).

After getting married, my Father in Law was getting ready to retire from Disneyland as a machinist (back when they had real retirement pensions fully funded at 25 years of service) but he worked there every day, behind the scenes of what the pubic would view above ground.

At least once a week, my ex-wife and I would meet her mom and I at the special gate that was for employees (cast members) and the employee family members. I was qualified as a family member thru marriage. We would have to have be "invited by the employee and be registered in advance of our arrival" and would meet my wifes parents inside the park where they gave instructions in advance. Most times we would meet at the Carnation Pavillion, since it had lots of tables and chairs that usually would be open to sit and wait for the rest of the family. Once we met up, we would go to dinner at one of the better places to eat. (usually the blue-bayou)

We never went there on a day when it was busy... usually when it was rainy, super windy or between the special promotions. Once a year we would go on a pre-scheduled weekday before Christmas as employees got a one-day 15% discount on plush/souvenirs if they were Full-Time and worked there for over a year. It was almost an "employee night at D-land" as if you wanted Official-licensed-Disney stuff, that was the only way to do it. Just a family mandated night of dinner and shopping!

I can remember the days when the Disneyland Sky Tram would be shut down for maintenance... my Ex Father in law would be working long hours, late at night along with an old guy (name redacted) who was the only one who could spice the cable ends to make it a single loop trying to fix that ride... or the stories when he was responsible for the Space Mountain ride when they would shut it down for 25 minutes and inspect the track with a hammer... banging it every 2 feet listening for a thud... hammer in one hand, welding stinger in the other...

Have I been below the surface at D-land... yes I have, but only for a short time... Is it worthy of a tour? It is a memory I have kept for a lifetime that few can talk about. Why is that... because you sign a NDA when you hire on with Disney, but I was never an employee and never signed a Disney NDA - so that might why you can read this, unless they serve me with another order.

I can say that during that time, we got to spend time at every Disney property - Epcot, D-land CA, D-land FL and all of the partner properties in FL like Universal during the 90's. I remember the ceremony when they started tearing up the parking lot for the ground breaking of "California Adventure" (Limited access event for press, dignitaries and full-timers"

Another thing to mention... being a "Cast-Member" back in those days was a tough job to get as a teenager... you had a squeakey-clean dress code, no mustache, no facial hair, no tatt's, no long hair.. . and then they started the drug-tests. You worked part-time for California's minimum wage. You did not qualify for any benefits unless you worked Full-time for 6+ months (hard or impossible when they reduced the park hours to less than full time in the fall/winter seasons)

Did I get hired as a Cast member... heck no, and am gratefull that I did'nt.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
As a kid, I grew up in Anaheim CA. As I grew up in High School, many of my friends worked at Disneyland in the 70's thru the 90's. Lots of them worked at Knott's Berry Farm too (that was when the park did not charge admission).

Did I get hired as a Cast member... heck no, and am gratefull that I did'nt.
At the same time period, i had 3 relatives working at Disney and enjoyed a couple December Employee family and friends day at Anaheim Disney, free of charge. No crowds, no lines pure fun.. Then as i grew older i took my family there for a long weekend of fun. We stayed at the Disney Hotel for 4 days (june). It turned into the most expensive and worst family outing ever. I think over the 4 days, we manage to get on 4 rides. We battled massive crowds, rude people and witnessed a few fights when folks feeling 'privileged' would cut in line. Today as our kids are grown, they have no desire to take their family's to Disney.. They learned from a bad expeerice to stay the heck away from there.. I've never been to Florida Disney, but i hear it is no better..... Disney will never flip my boat..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:11 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post

PS, we always camp in Loops 1-3 at the top near the ferry. Easy walking distance. If we don't take the ferry we just drive as the buses take forever at FW.
We've been to Disney 3 times, 1991, 2013, and 2015. All 3 times we stayed on Disney property, although never at FW. We would never consider using our own vehicle to move around Disney. FW is probably the hardest place to get around from there, though, no doubt. Get on the ferry, and get to someplace that you can ride the monorail, to the bus terminal and go from there.

It sounds like things have changed quite a bit since Covid, but in 2013 we were there from Christmas to New Years day. Disney actually shut down Magic Kingdom about 4 in the afternoon, because it was at capacity. Thank goodness we weren't there, but we were at Epcot later in the evening for fireworks, and that was the largest crowd I was ever in in my life, and Epcot is a BIG place!!
Old 04-09-2022, 08:00 AM   #28
Site Team

As a side note, I just came back from 3 days in Universal Orlando last week. Crowds were very mild and we had no issue walking on to rides as we wanted during our visit. This was our first time at Universal and I was very impressed top to bottom.

We are scheduled to stay at Ft. Wilderness in June and I'm going to take a few days to go back to Universal in addition to our time in Disney. We liked it that much. The only thing to mention is that the rides at Universal are a little more intense than at Disney and there were a couple that my 7 year old wasn't tall enough for quite yet. Their big coasters are 51" height minimum. Keep that in mind if you are traveling with younger children. There is still plenty to do there for their age bracket.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 04:13 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
.. I've never been to Florida Disney, but i hear it is no better..... Disney will never flip my boat..
It is not any better. Standing in line on a hot summer day in Florida (98 degree's with 100 % humidity) behind a guy who does not believe in using arm deoderant is not for me anymore. If the grandchildren want to go, the parents (my son and his wife) can take them.

I went back in the late 60's through the 80's when a Florida resident's pass was $200.00, and if you went at least 5 times a year, it was worth it (when you could get a 3 day "park hopper" for $32.00). Yea, I'm showing my age for sure, but todays prices make taking a trip to Disney a thing for the wealthy.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 01:58 PM   #30

Just came back. Did not stay at the Fort this time but off property which was a pain in the … WDW never changes, but saying that it was the busiest we have ever seen it and that’s with park reservations and capacity restrictions. Only did Magic and Hollywood waiting 2 hrs for many rides and not bothering if wait time was over 2. Heard to many people complaining about the new Genie system that replaced fast past so glad we didn’t drop any extra cash in Disneys pocket for this. Did try out some new food treats that were great hit. Bacon on a stick and cinnamon bun at Magic and Sausage dog at Star Wars Hollywood. Relax don’t rush and just enjoy
Sunshine67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 02:45 PM   #31
Site Team

So where is the bacon on a stick available? I have to try that.

Old 04-13-2022, 03:05 PM   #32

Things are gettin back to normal, little by little..

Hula-hoops are back out at Trails End.
Old 04-13-2022, 03:22 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Things are gettin back to normal, little by little..

Hula-hoops are back out at Trails End.
I'm on my 60 day countdown. Can't wait.

Old 04-13-2022, 03:26 PM   #34

Bacon on a stick was at stall in fronterland is melts in your mouth yummmmmmmm
Old 04-13-2022, 03:28 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine67 View Post
Bacon on a stick was at stall in fronterland is melts in your mouth yummmmmmmm
Just straight up bacon or is it coated with something like they do with the almonds?

Old 04-13-2022, 04:21 PM   #36

Very thick woven on stick with maple flavour. I would post picture but have no clue how
Old 04-13-2022, 05:09 PM   #37

Mortgage your house, rob a bank or two, sell some blood and a Porsche and you'll have about enough cash for a week. We Stayed there last July with daughter and two grandkids.
Even with "limited crowds" it was almost unbearable. Stayed in a cabin in Ft Wilderness and that was pretty good. P&J'Southern Takeout by the marina is the most reasonably priced place there. Fried chicken, cornbread and mac& cheese to kill for. Absolutely will need a golf cart for the entire stay!!!! That place is huge! Take a backpack with water with you into the parks because all food & drink costs as much as a used Gulfstream jet.
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 06:44 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine67 View Post
Very thick woven on stick with maple flavour. I would post picture but have no clue how
I'm going to have check on that. Thanks.

Old 04-13-2022, 06:51 PM   #39

We started going to FW in 2015. In fact that was what drew us back to DW. We typically go 2-3 times a year. We normally stay in the 16-1800 loops. It is about halfway between the ferry landing and the Outpost bus terminal (about one mile each way). Important to us because we walk to either one, depending on where we’re going . After setting up the TT, we park the truck for the duration and use the various modes of complimentary Disney transportation (watercraft, bus, monorail and Skyliner). Getting to the destination becomes part of the adventure. On many visits, we don’t go into any of the parks. We experience FW like it’s own destination as with any other nice campground (trail rides, movies under the stars, pools , tour the stables etc) You can always resort hop on DW transportation. They are very well themed and usually offer better dining than in the parks. Also, most everybody else is in the parks during the day so the resorts are less crowded. So we really love FW. However, in the past two years the prices have gone up so much that when fuel costs are factored in, we can stay at Shades of Green cheaper, which we’ve really enjoyed too. But, we’ll look forward to returning to FW eventually.
TAK14Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:47 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
It is not any better. Standing in line on a hot summer day in Florida (98 degree's with 100 % humidity) behind a guy who does not believe in using arm deoderant is not for me anymore. If the grandchildren want to go, the parents (my son and his wife) can take them.

I went back in the late 60's through the 80's when a Florida resident's pass was $200.00, and if you went at least 5 times a year, it was worth it (when you could get a 3 day "park hopper" for $32.00). Yea, I'm showing my age for sure, but todays prices make taking a trip to Disney a thing for the wealthy.
My biggest complaint is the price. Yes, staying at FW without attending the theme parks is nice (and cheaper), as the prices to attend any park is for the wealthy. Since I've "been there, done that", I'll use the money saved and visit other places in the U.S.A that I have not ventured out to yet.

BUCKET LIST (not in any order): Grand Canyon, smithsonian, Washington State, and Alaska.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote