Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #1

Disrespectful campers

This is what we have to look forward to camping in this country. Large group of people that had no respect for anyone in Glass creek campground Mammoth lakes Ca. They ran their generator all night thru quiet hours. Dumped their brand new Iconic trailer holding tanks in the campsite, piled all of their trash in the bear locker, decided to rip the fire pit out of the ground so he could hook up his trailer easier!?!? And they broke a few of the 8” post off at the ground between campsites. Apparently they consider their inappropriate behavior normal and now they bring their trashy ways to us.
Attached Thumbnails
6F74287F-C634-40BA-B4CC-727CCEA8289B.jpg   8AF38C98-2EBB-4DE6-B93C-1A517F58AE16.jpg   9CABF4C9-75EB-4743-B0CE-C2541C1AE9DF.jpg   1ECE2FB5-0591-456D-908A-4DC560FF211C.jpg  
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #2
Site Team

You will find them everywhere, country will not matter.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
CAG

I hope you got the license plate number and turned them in.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
You will find them everywhere, country will not matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I hope you got the license plate number and turned them in.
X2, Its a me first society and they are President and CEO of their local chapter!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:40 AM   #5
CAG

One thing that I did find out while talking with a National Park Ranger is that they generally take photos of camps, including vehicle license number so they have a record should something come up later. In Arizona it is not uncommon during hunting seasons and high peak summer days for Game and Fish to take photos of camps. They track you down and cite you later if you leave a messy or trashy camp.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
Site Team

That's good to know. Reporting them to a park ranger should start the ball rolling.

I reported a camper in a state park years ago and he was asked to leave for a major infraction.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:37 AM   #7

It sounds like they are among the new campers looking for something to do. I've read complaints like this on the WI state park FB group. This is happening all over the place this year.

As said, report it if you didn't already. Dumping the holding tanks is probably a fine if you got pictures of them doing it. I just looked and that CG is closed. When did all this occur?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #8

That’s terrible. That’s about the worst I’ve seen. We need the Rona to let up so these people can get back into the hotels.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I just looked and that CG is closed. When did all this occur?
Probably because of the fires.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
It sounds like they are among the new campers looking for something to do. I've read complaints like this on the WI state park FB group. This is happening all over the place this year.

As said, report it if you didn't already. Dumping the holding tanks is probably a fine if you got pictures of them doing it. I just looked and that CG is closed. When did all this occur?
X3 on contacting the park service and giving them the info. Good that you documented it with photos — provide those as well. And don’t be afraid to follow up to see if they took action. While there are idiots of all kinds, I’m definitely seeing the results of a wave of people who ran out and bought or rented fancy new RVs this year to escape Covid. They don’t know much about camping manners, let alone proper operation of the rigs. Just pray they find it’s not their thing by next year and go back to their condos in Maui and Acapulco.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #11

Its a sad state of affairs when common decency has gone by the wayside...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Probably because of the fires.
I figured that's why it closed but they don't state on their website. Because of that I was wondering when the photos were taken.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:05 AM   #13

This type of vandalism is normal for the human race.
I've seen my share of destroyed public lands and it is disturbing.

Then you risk retaliation or a fight if you say something unless your built like a MMA wrestler !
Old 09-17-2020, 04:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
This type of vandalism is normal for the human race.
I've seen my share of destroyed public lands and it is disturbing.

Then you risk retaliation or a fight if you say something unless your built like a MMA wrestler !
Not really, just speak softly and carry a big stick. The bigger they are the harder they fall.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #15

That generator would not have run very long. Small to medium leaks have been known to occur in fuel lines.

Camping is getting close to not being enjoyable because of others. And it doesn't seem age matters. We had people a couple weeks ago 2 sites over that were playing their music so loud we couldn't enjoy ours - and they weren't even outside where it was playing. Then you have the people that decide walking through your site is ok, and headlights all hours of the night. UGH! I'll stop now before I get upset about it, again.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #16
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
That generator would not have run very long. Small to medium leaks have been known to occur in fuel lines.

Camping is getting close to not being enjoyable because of others. And it doesn't seem age matters. We had people a couple weeks ago 2 sites over that were playing their music so loud we couldn't enjoy ours - and they weren't even outside where it was playing. Then you have the people that decide walking through your site is ok, and headlights all hours of the night. UGH! I'll stop now before I get upset about it, again.

Having had to defuse situations (police work) were someone tried to be the local enforcement officer, without that authority, I do not recommend trying to do it yourself or damage someone else's property. You're the one that goes to jail. We all like to think what punishment we would dispense but that is wishful thinking, or should be.

When I boondock, I am miles, and I mean miles from any other camper. Most RV parks I stay in enforce their rules.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post

Camping is getting close to not being enjoyable because of others. And it doesn't seem age matters.

Then you have the people that decide walking through your site is ok, and headlights all hours of the night. UGH! I'll stop now before I get upset about it, again.
I wish Minnesota had more rural BLM land to do more remote camping, but there is not much around here.

I do not think many people know how to use a headlight switch. Pending on where we are at, at night I tend to turn off my headlights in the CG, and slowly travel in camp with just the marker lights or the fog lights on. Both are easier on a pedestrian's eyes than the full headlights. I am going so slow, so it is enough light.

I have cleaned up a fair share of campsites, because of the mess people have left.

A buddy of mine has the trick to keep people from cutting through his site. He finds most of the time they cut through the back side, so he has a "Fart Machine" with a motion detector. He turns up the volume, and when it goes off, he looks that general direction. Sometimes he just looks, and sometimes, he says "really". He says it only has to go off once or twice and no one continues to walk through.

Now for us, we try never to camp in the center of a CG, we really like the outer loops as they tend to be a lot quieter.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #18

A couple of years ago I came up with the perfect solution to prevent people from walking through my site.

I have one of those 28" high orange traffic cones with this sign attached to it:
"Caution! Yellow Jacket hive here!" If necessary, I will put my IPod inside the cone that loops the sound effect of a swarm of bees buzzing.

Works like a charm!
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:45 PM   #19

Fart machine idea; makes me think my kids would have a blast with that and it would loose it's effectiveness. Haha, be funny though.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
A couple of years ago I came up with the perfect solution to prevent people from walking through my site.

I have one of those 28" high orange traffic cones with this sign attached to it:
"Caution! Yellow Jacket hive here!" If necessary, I will put my IPod inside the cone that loops the sound effect of a swarm of bees buzzing.

Works like a charm!
These days, a biohazard symbol and "COVID QUARANTINE" should work quite well ...

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote