Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
What v8 is in your truck? 5.4 or the 4.6? 4 speed transmission too right?

What axle ratio do you have?
3.31:1 / 3.55:1 / 3.73:1 / 4.10:1

I think your truck is probably up to the task you just have to get used to revving it up and the poor mileage associated with that. We need more info on your truck to tell you for sure. And we need more specs on your trailer. Model and year or GVWR and what the weight is ready to camp.

Cheers
I am 85% sure mine is the 4.6, and yes, 4 speed transmission. I'm not sure the axle ratio....the dry weight of my TT is 6700.

gozagswoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #12
Site Team

Please read my truck comparison after having towed my 31' trailer with both a 1500/2500.

As for your post I would tow in the hills with OD off and in tow haul mode. On flat land in tow haul mode, the truck should find the right gear there.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ces-11464.html

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
snip... the dealer made it sound like we would pull that thing with ease. Well....I feel like my truck is STRUGGLING to pull this! Especially up any long or gradual hills...

Anyway...the wife wants me to start looking at F250's, or Chev 2500's. I don't know.

Thoughts??
Lesson #1: Never EVER listen to a trailer salesman regarding what your truck can do (or really much else for that matter; you know what they say about how to tell when a salesman is lying; his lips are moving). They're not in the truck business, they're in the trailer selling business. Most of them will tell you whatever you showed up in will tow whatever trailer you're looking to buy all day long, no problem. It astounds me how they stay in business sometimes.

If the wife says start looking for a bigger truck, I say don't wait another minute! When it came time for us to upgrade, I had to fight the wife every step of the way. She was all "but YOU SAID our truck could tow THIS trailer!" It finally took her actually seeing how much happier I was towing the trailer before she finally relented (yes, AFTER the new truck purchase). It also helped when I told her "sure, we can take the cast iron; don't worry about weight, it's not an issue any more, period. If it makes you happy, bring it. Don't worry, I'll let you know when you overload the trailer, but you'll NEVER overload the truck!"

If you're going to be using it, why not have the right tool for the job. If you can get by with what you have, that's sometimes okay in the short-run. In the end though, you'll remember the whole reason you bought the trailer in the first place, and it wasn't so you could wring your hands and worry about weight and whether your truck will survive the next trip. At least that's how it happened with me.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #14

You are likely to have a learning curve with this, so patience truly is a virtue. A new truck will not likely relieve you of turning those RPMs climbing hills. Most of that is just in the gearing. I regularly turn about 2700 RPMs on my diesel climbing. Before dropping money on another truck, see if you can borrow a friend's truck and see if you are more comfortable towing with it. You aren't describing any stability issues, so if the main issue is not being used to the increased noise and vibration of towing, that will come. Just remember to take all moves slowly, brake early, and keep it slow. Take short trips at first to get used to it.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I don't know what year the GM diesels came with a 6 spd transmission. I believe GM briefly had a 5 speed but the 6.0 gassers didn't get a 6 speed until 2008....maybe even as early as the 2007.5 when they went to the new body style.

I'm with you. I don't know exactly what years of anything else had what trans. But you simply said 2500 and 2008. Just wanted OP and any reader looking for info to know there was a 2007 that had a 6spd.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Please read my truck comparison after having towed my 31' trailer with both a 1500/2500.

As for your post I would tow in the hills with OD off and in tow haul mode. On flat land in tow haul mode, the truck should find the right gear there.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ces-11464.html
Thank you Crabman, very interesting and helpful thread.

One other question here, I read online in one or two spots that some models (I'm thinking it said late 90's??) of Dodge Ram had a lot of transmission issues when pulling things. I don't know if that's true at all, but have you all heard that Ram's are better/worse than others at towing??
gozagswoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #17

Pretty much all the truck brands had transmission issues at one time or another. If you are planning to tow, plan to, at some point, do some transmission work. Dodge's have had issues through at least 2006, Pretty much all Fords until 2003 or so have had issues (I have a 2000 F-350 and it toasted two stock trannies before we had one built for it. Since then, no issues). Chevrolet did a great thing with their Allison, but even they have some issues if the truck has been tuned. If buying used, just do some research and figure out which truck and brand's issues you can deal with the best. For example, a lot of people stay away from 2003 through 2007 Ford diesels because in stock form they have lots of expensive issues that affect reliability. In a half ton, in my opinion, you will likely have transmission troubles earlier because they aren't built to take as severe a load.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #18

Thank you Crabman, great read. Once you have towed with a 250/2500 you will never go back and the added torque of the diesel ...... finally did a programmer and now won't tow without that.
2007 Layton 245LF (sold)

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #19

I completely agree with that EDD. My only caution is that if you do a programmer to do gauges too to watch temps.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #20

Smile

We just returned from a trip to Montana where we crossed three mtn passes. My half ton did OK towing our 23 FB (dry wt 4700#) but I think I am on the ragged edge where a 3/4 ton would make the trip alot easier. Also may I suggest you consider a 4x4. With the types of places we all take a trailer, that is a good insurance policy you probably won't get stuck. IMHO.

2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote