Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #1

Do tires really get flat spots from sitting?

If so, how long do they have to sit before that happens?

Thanks again, everybody,
OnTheGo
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #2

I'm sure they do. My truck had a problem with the original OEM tires that would flat spot on cool to cold days. The next morning I would have to drive about 6 - 8 miles before the 'bump bump bump' would stop. I replaced them with Michelin MS2 and the bumping went away.
2010 Jayco EXP 21M Hybrid

“This isn’t rocket science; it’s more like quantum physics.”
Topflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #3

I remember when Nylon bias plies first came out. After setting overnight, you not only heard the thump, thump, thump from the flat spots, you felt them.

Nowadays, most tires do not flat spot unless setting for extended periods (frequently, not even then). Generally, the better the quality of the tire, the less likely they will flat spot. Colder weather also makes tires more susceptable to flat spotting.

Flat spotting from setting long periods is more an annoyance than a problem. The two biggest problems from tires setting for long periods is rot and cracking. Tires setting on surfaces that hold moisture for long periods can cause rot where the tires have been in contact with the surface. Some surfaces, such as concrete, can also cause rot, even if seemingly dry. That is why it is recommended that one put wood between concrete and tires when setting for long periods.

Tires have to be "worked" to prevent dry rot which can cause cracking and tire failure. The flexing of a tire that is in use helps the plasticizers in the "rubber" compound work their way to the surface. When the tire is just setting, the plasticizers at the surface outgas and do not get replenished from within, making the rubber brittle and subject to cracking. That's why tires that receive little use may not last as long as tires that are frequently on the road.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #4

Living in Ontario (not that long ago) at -30 (-22f) I'd be up by 5am to clear the snow/ice off the truck, warm it up (after unplugging the block-heater) and head off down the road to work. At that temperature the tires would take a long time to get 'round' again and it would always be noisy ride! Anyway, I digress... I understand that tires, regardless of tread, are only "good" for about 6 years or so, before they weaken and the rubber begins to break down. M'Lady Fitzgerald explains it well!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote