Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #11

So far I have only took the TT on one trip, and that was last summer. We have a well for water and a septic for waste at home and use TT the same way we use water/septic at home. If it is yellow let it mellow, if it is brown flush it down.

I do agree about conserving water, however consider that using potable water to help drain the black tank is not a huge waste. Almost all water from the Grey tank will contain detergents, etc. from the shower and main sink...........not considered the best water to be drained or put in a septic. Using potable water to drain your black tank helps with removing solids properly whether traveling or not, but more importantly helps with the septic that most people probably abuse in the campground. Using water than does not contain detergents, bleach, etc. will actually help with the breakdown in the septic tank that you are draining in to.

I never fill my black when emptying but I do add a little water so that any solids are "floating" before draining.

Just my 2 cents.

Huntsvillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:06 PM   #12

I wish RV toilets were automatically setup to flush from the grey tank. This would keep us from flushing good water, and help the grey last longer.

2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #13

I agree with mcfarmall and clubhouse. The use of water however you want is a nonissue.
Greenies have wasted billions of gallons of water needed by farmers and growers in California to keep some small fish from becoming extinct. That is insanity. I don't think water can be wasted, it recycles itself.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #14

If the park is on a well and drain field septic system it is pretty much a zero sum game. The waste comes from public systems that over flow to rivers and hence to the ocean.
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #15

Drinking water is produced by extracting clean water from the ground or by cleaning surface water. Ground water polution sources are not affected by the use of ground water, nor is there a connection. So, conserving ground water will have zero impact on it's condition and do nothing to reduce the polution of it.

We are not running out of water. Earths water content is a constant.

The reason for this responce is not suggest that we go out and waste any resource including water, but to say that the world is still mostly water and will be so until the end of days.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #16

First I did not rant as I am at work, but I do understand where you are coming from. The one that I do not fully understand is the flushing of the black water tank out multiple times every trip. I flush the tank once a year at most, and most people would not consider my flush much of a flush. I just fill my tank partially full of clean water (because it is easy), an open the drain and let it go. I only do this at the end of the season. Then let the tank go as dry as possible for winter storage.

We do not camp often with full hookups, or really any hookups. So I would say we do conserve water, as I do not dump our tanks during a 5 day stay, and our 23B has small tanks. I am always shocked when I hear people say that they have to pull the blue tote to the dump station 2-3 times for a weekend. Of all the camping chores, and there are not many, dumping station runs are my least favorite to do.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #17

How is it being wasted. My water comes out of the ground from a well and goes back in the ground and Mother earth filters it on the way back down..
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
How is it being wasted. My water comes out of the ground from a well and goes back in the ground and Mother earth filters it on the way back down..
On ground water I agree. If it's city water then it has to be cleaned up before you use it. But water can't be seperated into Hydrogen and oxygen by simple use of it so it's still water as long as the laws of physics stand. It can be steam or ice or water but it's always H2O and always has been.

Note: You can burn Hydrogen in the presence of Oxygen and produce water, or use electrolysis to seperate H from O. Neither of these is a current problem.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #19

I wish that I could automatically use grey water to flush the toilet. In fact there are systems that allow this. Unfortunately they are not allowed because of code, complexity, and cost. Code does not allow a pressurized non-potable water to be interconnected to a potable water system. There are check valves but they can fail and you may not know. Add to this any automatic system would require a separate pump, screening and plumbing. You should not use a fresh water pump with grey water because of the high solids and debris content. This means you would need a demand pump that is "semi-trash" rated. As to schlepping a bucket through my rig to the bathroom to flush that is a non-starter for my family of 5. So all said and done I guess I will need to still flush with fresh water.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2007 Tahoe toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
As to schlepping a bucket through my rig to the bathroom to flush that is a non-starter for my family of 5.
Luckily, I have a separate door for my bathroom, so total travel with bucket of grey water is about 15 ft outside and about 1.5 ft inside.

As an alternative to pumps and what not, why not have a selector valve for grey water waste to be routed into the black tank? It would be nice to have the sink water go into the black tank most of the time, and have the shower water go into the grey tank. But have a valve so you can choose which tank the waste water goes into... just thinkin' in text here...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote