Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #21

I threw the 4-way in the new trailer last night. I'll get the torque wrench on those lug nuts before during and after the first trip. I still need to test out the jack in the TV to verify it will work. I don't want to be "that guy". Been there, done that. And while improvisation may build character, I would rather just be prepared.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #22

Cross lug wrench and torque wrench with 18" extension and socket, and 5 ton bottle jack. If I'm out in the boonies and a tire goes flat, figure I could always swap them around to get to civilization and road service. Don't want to drive around with a flat dully.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #23

Have breaker bar and sockets for TT and TV. Also 5 ton jack and several 2 x 10 x 12 boards normally used under stabilizers.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #24

Along the line of being prepared, when we first bought our used TV, we had a 26S and got a blow out on the left rear tire while travelling through Ohio, on the Interstate, temperature 34 C. Before leaving home I had looked at the tires and they were still in good shape and I reviewed the tire changing scenario in the manual. The first issue was the lug nut anti theft adapter, found it, next the lowering of the spare. GM has a secondary safety catch that stops the spare from going lower than 6", if it doesn't release then you have to use the wheel chocks provided to support the bottle jack and then jack the spare up until it releases. That took 5 tries.

Ok, got it off and put the spare on. No replacement to be found, drove through to Nashville on the spare. I bought 4 new tires at Costco in Nashville. The anti theft lug nut adapter stripped and they couldn't get 2 of the wheels off. We spent a day and a half trying to get that done while driving with 2 new and 2 old tires on. Finally after going to the GM and the Chev dealerships across the street from each other in Nashville, their service people couldn't do it and then they closed for the day. We found Carl Black Chev Olds the next morning and they did it in 5 minutes charging an hour for labour. We were just happy to have it done. So the first thing I did was get rid of the anti theft nuts.

When the spare was returned to the underside of the bed it would not lock so I had to check it periodically to make sure it didn't lower on its own. Two years later I tried to remove the spare again to replace it. I tried 15 times in my own lane way and couldn't do it. I had to have it done where I go for service. They had a lot of trouble getting it off. Now I carry the spare locked in the box with a wire rope. If you have a GM then check the spare lowering system, lubricate and maintain it. The replacement part is not cheap.

I also carry a bunch of "just in case" tools and a compressor.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote