Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #1

Do You Regret Not Buying a Larger Unit?

DH and I are still struggling with what model/size of trailer to buy. We swing back and forth between 21 and 26 feet, mainly landing on models that are around 24 feet. But I worry we are going to small and will regret it later!

This got me to wondering if others out there regret not buying a larger trailer/5th wheel? And why you chose the size/model you have now.
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
Site Team

If I were to buy one today, it would be larger then the trailer I have. Kids are growing up.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Buy the largest you can afford and tow. Lesson learned here, I did a pop up then a hybrid then a full sized unit. I would have skipped the pop upland hybrid in hindsight.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #4

It's like a house, you fill the space you have. LOL

We just went from a 30 foot Coachmen to a 40 foot Eagle that will be delivered to our seasonal site in the spring. I know we're going to love the larger space but at the same time I fear we'll fill it up just as badly as the smaller space.

What I'm trying to say is consider what you'll be using the trailer for. The larger it is the more tow vehicle you need but at the same time you want to be comfortable, have room for guests, etc.

At some point during the consideration process you'll find the size of trailer that balances out your needs and wants, even if there are a couple of small sacrifices.
Oh, and I have a tent... Somewhere around here....
Rolling Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #5

Just bought a 2014 Keystone Cougar HC 35+ feet and now I see Jayco has a 39 footer. Darn- should have waited and bought that one..
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #6

Went from a 38' fiver to a 30' fiver. It fits all our needs and is much easier to tow around the country.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #7

We bought the X23B a little more than 2 yr ago as sort of a test. We'd talked the last few years about a TT and I thought I wanted a PUP but saw a hybrid at the dealer and latched onto that plus we could pull it with our existing 03 Expedition. We thought we'd try out something small-ish and if we like the lifestyle we'd upgrade. The hybrid is such a clever compromise between the towed length and the trailer space plus 2 queen-ish bunks. 5 people is a bit crowded but doable, four is "togetherness" and two is just about perfect. While minor, my biggest complaint is there just isn't much comfortable seating. This little TT has been great (we particularly enjoy the tent-bunks and the sound of the rain) but we've started eyeing a larger one. As part of the upgrade we've got a new TV with the intent to get a 5th this spring.
This was our first TT and I'm happy we started small. I'm pretty comfortable with the little TT and think the jump to a larger one will be less traumatic than if I'd started big. We don't expect to trade again so I'm picking something that I'm thinking we'll be happy with.
Our first trip with the hybrid was bringing it home from Orlando (RV Direct) to the Houston area. Bypassing New Orleans on I-12 in some construction with some pretty heavy traffic and a hard rain I thought I'd mess myself. I can only imagine my terror if I'd been pulling a 40' beast.
So, no regrets.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #8

it took us just 2 yrs to realize we needed more space. We had a 2011 26rls. We liked the layout but needed more space with our DD. She outgrew the J Steel sofa and then we had to breakdown the dinette every night. It got old real quick. We also needed a bit more space for her clothes. We ended getting a 29 RLDS. Those 3 feet make a world of difference. More space, storage, pantry, linen closet and extra wardrobe and a trifold couch for DD. It is the largest we can get to fit on the side of the house. Don't plan on changing at all.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #9

Our 28BHBE is 33.3 feet long from tongue to bumper, of course it would be nice to get to 38 or 40 feet
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #10

I regret not buying a smaller unit sometimes. The Swift 154 BH was the first one we looked at and would have suited our needs. It was much cheaper and lighter then the X213 and would fit in the driveway and campsites better. I could have bought a more practical tow vehicle as well.

I've always believed you should buy the smallest trailer (or car/truck) that will suit your needs rather then the largest one you can afford. Big seems impressive in the showroom but it's just a burden day to day.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #11
Site Team

Based on the postings I read on this and other forums, the question is not whether you should have bought a bigger trailer, but whether you should have bought a bigger truck; especially if you decide in the future to buy a larger trailer.

Old RVer's observation: "You can never have too much truck."

However, to answer your question, our 266 Eagle purchased new back in January of 2000 proved to be the perfect size for my wife and I. We go to the RV show every year and have yet to see anything that excites us enough to replace the 266, although, a few models have caused us to think about it.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #12

We started with a PUP camper and it was the biggest Jayco you could get the Acadia model, it was just myself and the dog, it worked great. Then came the wife and kids and all the toys that come with the family. Needless to say we outgrew the pup quickly. I upgraded to a Hybrid after that and looked at several models, we ended up getting the Jayco 23j and love it. I agree the only down fall of the hybrids is the don't have a ton of seating space but this one has more than most. I like the two queen beds also. You also have more living space in these foot for foot than you do with the regular tow behind trailers.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #13

We bought the Jayco that Both the Wife and I fell in love with. It worked out also that it was the biggest trailer that our Excursion could tow. So everything worked out for the best.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #14

Yes I do regret it, but only because the wife changed her mind and decided she liked the seasonal site.

But since she is the wife I'm sure her mind will be changed in a year or two, and ill still have a trailer I can park in my backyard
Old 01-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #15

The HW and I had decided on the smaller X20E hybrid. But when we looked at the larger version, the X23B, I thought this thing is huuuge!! Especially since we were upgrading form a PUP! But the determing factor, again for the DW, was the extra counter and drawer space the larger model had. So we went with the X23B and have been pleased with it so far!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #16

Like the saying "Big is not always better". Suggest you look at the rest of your life. If you aren't happy until you get the biggest house you can't afford, if you have to have the biggest flat screen in your group of friends, if what you buy isn't about what you want and what best fits your needs [and that means for the future too]; then by all means go for size.

If you can look back on your life and smile when you reflect on your choices, then use the same strategy when picking out the camper. Take a quiet evening and sit with the wife and each of you make a list of needs, wants, and absolutely won't deal with. Then compare each list and note the common items and discuss the others. Then work on a best choices list paying close attention to the "absolutely wont deal with" items and then go on line and check out the models and layouts. You might want to narrow it down to just one or 2 manufacturers based on experience and recommendations from people you trust. At that point you're ready to hit the road and visit some dealers. Don't go hungry! That means give yourself time to digest what you see and take the sales pitch for exactly what it is, getting the units they have in stock hooked to the back of your TV.

I speak from a recent trip down the same road on our return roadtrip from a 4 week trip south last winter. We were spending longer time in the 06 Keystone [28'] and both agreed that it was time to upgrade. We loved the old one and it had served us well, but it was time. We pretty much followed the above outline, except that we overnited at a CWorld and spent the evening / morning walking their massive indoor showroom. We weren't tempted since we hadn't narrowed down what we were looking for. The salesman tried to sell us a 5 year old 5er that was in decent shape but as we later found out our 08 crew cab silverado couldn't tow. So much for salesmen. Picked up some info and walked thru a couple dozen units and we were back on the road. 6 weeks later we ordered our new White Hawk 30dsre. It has proved to be the perfect choice and we would do it again if we had it to do over today.

I wouldn't be driven by size or impressed by features that you don't want or need. In our case it was extra beds or bunks. Its just the 2 of us and experience with houseboats and houses, was those things just take up space that fills with stuff that you have to tow around where ever your go in your TT.

Good luck in finding your new TT
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #17

First question.. How much space do you need to feel comfortable? Second question Where do you plan to camp? At 33' I cannot fit into a lot of my favorite campgrounds.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #18

Monday 1/6/14: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -11. Breezy, with a west wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -19. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Tuesday 1/7/14: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 0. West wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -5. West wind 5 to 15 mph.
Prodigy Brakes
robo59097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
Buy the largest you can afford and tow. Lesson learned here, I did a pop up then a hybrid then a full sized unit. I would have skipped the pop upland hybrid in hindsight.
x2

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #20

My recommendation is to analyze your needs and your wants

Look at the biggest trailer you would want, then find the smallest trailer that meets your needs. Remember, your tow vehicle is a key limiting factor. Don't compromise safety and think you can get by with an inadequate tow vehicle.

Find something in the middle that doesn't call for a lot of compromises.

e.g.
A bed that sits in the corner against two walls may add space in the trailer, but climbing over each other all the time gets really old.

Needing to break down the dinette table for the kids bed becomes a lot of work, bunks may work better.

Kitchen counter space is like real estate, very valuable.

Storage needs for me will be completely different than for you, what will you need?

A small trailer is easy to pull around everywhere, but may be more work each day than the larger trailer.

Holding tanks, more is always better, but will be heavier, how often will you have full hookups vs camping off the grid?

I like the size of my current trailer, at 30' long it works great for us

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote