Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2022, 07:13 AM   #1

Do you run your genset and A/C while under way?

And if you do, should your hot water and refrigerator be on the genset power or propane?
Ann-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:42 AM   #2

What class RV do you have? Is it an on board generator or a separate unit and what size is it? Lots more info needed to provide you with a solid answer.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:52 AM   #3

I do not run gen while driving. Havent found the need for the RV AC while driving.

Do use refer on gas, do not use water heater; while driving.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:27 AM   #4

Here in the Calif Sumer almost every motorhome i see pulling in gas stations for fuel has their generators and AC's running. I'v seen some 5th wheels (not many) doing the same. If i were in a motorhome set up though, i would be doing the same.. Especially in the hot climates. And if you have the generator running, may as well power up everything you can..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:09 AM   #5

Cool thanks.
Its a Greyhawk 30, virgin trip.
Ann-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:05 AM   #6

We don't typically run our rooftop A/C while driving, but there are only two of us and we both generally sit in the cab so the dash A/C keeps us plenty cool. If there were others in the back on a warm day, I would definitely start the generator and run the rooftop A/C to keep the coach cool. I run the fridge on propane and don't use the water heater while driving. I usually let the water heater run until we're ready to drive and it stays plenty hot during our driving periods. I have started the generator on occasion to run the microwave while driving...just to quickly heat up leftovers or something. No problems running the generator while driving so use it however fits your needs.
Old 07-24-2022, 04:50 PM   #7

Here in Florida and in a class A we often have to run genny and roof air to keep cool on days above 85 or 90. The dash air just won't keep up.
GMC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 04:56 PM   #8

We're on our way to Moab as I type. The generator is on and the AC is blowing.
It was something like 108*F there a few days ago.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:28 PM   #9

Here in Florida in the summer if it’s just my wife and I the dash AC is usually enough. If anyone is in the back I run the generator and one AC. Can’t tell the difference in gas mileage.
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:06 PM   #10

Do Not Run the hot water heater off of propane while in motion. The airflow will severely disrupt the flame and can cause the thermal cut-off to trip. (It is recommended to carry a few extra thermal cut-offs as they can trip without too much provocation, are inexpensive, and are easy to replace.)

We use the generator for AC all the time when underway as we have passengers in the rear that would otherwise bake. Plus its a great way to ensure the genny gets regular exercise.

As for the fridge, be aware that the fridge may go into an error mode while driving. I'm not positively sure what causes it, perhaps long and steep incline/declines. Once the red light starts blinking, you need to power off the fridge and turn it back on before it clears. Something to be aware of so that your food doesn't unexpectedly get warm on you.
ait109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:05 PM   #11

Note that most of the units being discussed are either A or Cs. We have a 5ver and although we haven't done it yet, we discussed running the onboard generator and a/c unit with our service guy. He said when we are about 30-45 minutes out, don't need to fuel up and no tunnels, feel free to start up the generator and the a/c. Like I said, haven't tried it yet.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
Note that most of the units being discussed are either A or Cs. We have a 5ver and although we haven't done it yet, we discussed running the onboard generator and a/c unit with our service guy. He said when we are about 30-45 minutes out, don't need to fuel up and no tunnels, feel free to start up the generator and the a/c. Like I said, haven't tried it yet.
Done it several times...exercises the generator and you arrive with a cool RV on a hot day.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-Marie View Post
And if you do, should your hot water and refrigerator be on the genset power or propane?
Check your states laws regarding traveling with propane on. There are states where this is illegal.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
Done it several times...exercises the generator and you arrive with a cool RV on a hot day.
You need to exercise it with a load anyway so why not. With my Sprinter chassis class C, I get approx. .5 better MPG with the generator and house air con with no dash ac verses just the dash ac. Your results may vary.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
Check your states laws regarding traveling with propane on. There are states where this is illegal.
Can you point me to specific state statutes where this is the case?

I know it's true for certain/specific bridges/tunnels but I'm unaware of it being accurate for entire states. If you have links, I'd love to put together an article on this topic for one of my sites.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:51 AM   #16

I'd probably turn my water heater off, to be honest. Fridge doesn't matter, the generator will put out plenty of power to power it and whatever else you're running.

We have 2 kids, so we need the house air on for them. I've since built up my battery bank + inverter and run it without the generator, but that's not practical for most people. Before that, generator ran on every drive.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:01 PM   #17

We always run the frig on propane while underway. Been doing it for years, never had a problem. I don't typically run the water heater but we have a "on demand" unit on our Seneca. If we needed hot water while underway, I would not hesitate to use it.

We do run the generator for AC in the rig wile driving when needed. Typically only need it if traveling in the heat of the day. We live in California so there are times when it has run for hours of driving in the desert, no problem. I will shut the frig off when fueling :-)
ralett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:06 PM   #18

I have a greyhawk. I always run the frig on auto so if the gen is on it is powered by the gen. I seldom heat water while driving (the tank stayed hot enough during a days drive) but would run electric if needed hot water while driving and running gen.
Old 08-12-2022, 06:31 PM   #19

Running Gen and AC While Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC70 View Post
Here in Florida and in a class A we often have to run genny and roof air to keep cool on days above 85 or 90. The dash air just won't keep up.
I've done it when it was so hot my dash AC would not keep my guests cool. But you need to expect the generator to cut out from time to time if it gets so hot that it does an automatic shut down.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
I've done it when it was so hot my dash AC would not keep my guests cool. But you need to expect the generator to cut out from time to time if it gets so hot that it does an automatic shut down.
Whaaaat?

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote