Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


View Poll Results: Do you travel with the frig on?
Yes I do travel with the frig on. 382 57.53%
No I do not travel with the frig on. 81 12.20%
I travel with frig on but stop to turn off propane at tunnels 31 4.67%
I travel with frig on but turn off propane while fueling 51 7.68%
I travel with frig on and never turn off propane. 161 24.25%
I`m new at this so I`m on the fence 41 6.17%
Do you travel with your fridge on using AC/Inverter or generator?. 15 2.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 664. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
newbold1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Joelton, TN
Posts: 274
Do you travel with the frig on poll

I always travel with the fridge on. Someone will probably be able to find some obscure news article where a fire or explosion occurred as a result of doing this. But considering the thousands of travel trailers running everyday and probably many with the fridge going it seems like my odds are extremely good that nothing bad is going to happen. I've never heard of a travel trailer blowing up at a gas station because the fridge was running. Possible... I suppose. But I probably have better odds of winning the lottery and I don't see that happening anytime soon... so I don't sweat it. Rather have my food loaded before the trip and no concern that it will be ruined at the end of the drive.
__________________

__________________
Joelton, TN
2013 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7 Diesel 3.55 Long Bed
2013 Jayco White Hawk 30DSRE
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Mustang65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL area
Posts: 3,671
We dont travel with the LP tanks on. We just returned from a 6.5K miles out west. We leave the TT's inverter on while traveling and run the fridge on electric. It does not come on that often anyway and the batteries are fully charged at the next CG.
__________________

__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS
250Watt Grape Solar Panel, MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
1500 Watt Ramsond PSI, 2 Trojan T145 Batteries (260Ah)
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 1,354
I've never traveled with the fridge on, but I may try it sometime. My trips aren't really long enough to make a difference. Hour, hour and a half, max. Plus, my 8 cu. ft. Norcold seems to cool quickly. If a trip was more than 2 hours, I'd probably try it.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus
 
Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 4,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
We dont travel with the LP tanks on. We just returned from a 6.5K miles out west. We leave the TT's inverter on while traveling and run the fridge on electric. It does not come on that often anyway and the batteries are fully charged at the next CG.
X2
__________________

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2017 Jayco 24RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
glsimms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
Make sure you are bleeding your propane lines before trying to run your fridge on propane. A small air bubble could be keeping your fridge from lighting on propane or going out. You can bleed you lines by lighting the stove and letting it run for 30 seconds.
We've had to do this with our X23B a few times and it does work........
__________________
2017 Some Other Brand (SOB)
2013 Jayco Jay Feather X23B (She Gone)
2014 Ford Expedition
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
We dont travel with the LP tanks on. We just returned from a 6.5K miles out west. We leave the TT's inverter on while traveling and run the fridge on electric. It does not come on that often anyway and the batteries are fully charged at the next CG.
Please share more about how you are using you inverter; that sounds like an excellent way to keep things cool/frozen, LP off in transit, and provides the added benefit of having an inverter to use to not rely on my Genset every time I need AC power at non-elec sites. I have seen another thread were someone has plugged their 30A TT power cord into an inverter via a dog bone to power the TT AC system with out a genset, but you couldn't really do this while traveling. How is your inverter installed were it powers the TT AC appliances? Most inverter users I have seen just run extension cords from their front pass though to the areas they need power, but my fridge appears to be hardwired to the TT elec system not simply plugged into a AC outlet like my home fridges.
__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
troutslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NW AR (God's Country)
Posts: 1,846
Actually, not only do I not travel with the propane on or the refer on, I only turn the propane on when needed. So when the DW says, "honey, I need to bake chocolate chip cookies", it gives me something to do so I feel part of the process.
__________________
Skip

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus
 
Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 4,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Please share more about how you are using you inverter; that sounds like an excellent way to keep things cool/frozen, LP off in transit, and provides the added benefit of having an inverter to use to not rely on my Genset every time I need AC power at non-elec sites. I have seen another thread were someone has plugged their 30A TT power cord into an inverter via a dog bone to power the TT AC system with out a genset, but you couldn't really do this while traveling. How is your inverter installed were it powers the TT AC appliances? Most inverter users I have seen just run extension cords from their front pass though to the areas they need power, but my fridge appears to be hardwired to the TT elec system not simply plugged into a AC outlet like my home fridges.
My refrigerator runs on 12V, 120V or propane.
I put the mode to 12V, runs off the battery through the convertor.

Doug
__________________

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2017 Jayco 24RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 20
most all fridges from 2000+ are 3 way (AC,DC or LP). When driving if your not runnin your Gen for the Air Cond. then it's on DC. No need for most everyone to run propane unless nothing running and no shore power.
rosedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #50
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosedan View Post
most all fridges from 2000+ are 3 way (AC,DC or LP). When driving if your not runnin your Gen for the Air Cond. then it's on DC. No need for most everyone to run propane unless nothing running and no shore power.
I`m afraid many of them still do not have the 3 way fridges, at least not the Norcold in my Jayco. Mine is a 2010 and its only a 2 way, no DC.
__________________

__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.