Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #1

Dolly tow 2018 Toyota Rav4 FWD

Hello all and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

We purchased an EZE Tow dolly with hydraulic disc brakes and are hauling a 2018 Rav4 fwd. This dolly requires that the steering be unlocked so we had to turn the car on to accessory mode. We then disconnected the battery so that nothing would drain it during the drive from the factory where we purchased the dolly.

When we got home and went to remove the car from the dolly, we apparently followed an incorrect sequence and the steering locked up so tight that we almost couldn't get it off. We googled the issue and had to press the brake, push the ignition button while turning the wheel.

What I'm looking for is anyone who can help with the correct sequence or the best way to tow this vehicle on the dolly. I've called Toyota dealers to speak with their service dept, and they've been no help at all. I've googled and not found any help either.

Thanks for any input!
Kim
greyhoundexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #2

Why not visit your RAV4 service department?

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:08 AM   #3

I've called several different dealer service departments, and none of them have any input!! When the steering wheel was locked we called the local dealer, and the service guy suggested that we would have to have it towed to them because there was likely damage to the steering column! After a quick search we figured out how to unlock it on our own.

Just yesterday I tried calling another dealer and was hung up on 3 times. I'm trying to email the national Toyota website now
Old 10-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #4

Whar does the owner's manual say about towing with a dolly ot tow truck?
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #5

We tow a 2017 Rav4 FWD but we use the Demco Kar Kaddy. It is my understanding to lock the steering wheel. Maybe a difference between the 2 different brand dollies? This is out of the manual for Kar Kaddy.

Step 7.
Drive vehicle onto the platform - front forward -

until tires touch the wheel stops at the front of each side of
the platform and the platform tilts to a flat position. Make
sure the car is centered on the platform. Towed vehicle tires
must fit in wheel troughs without overhanging sides. Engage
towed vehicle parking brake.
Shift loaded car into “park”

and lock steering wheel with front tires in a straight position.
If the car does not have a locking steering column
the steering wheel must be tied securely with front tires
in a straight position.
chfraser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:00 PM   #6

I read the manual for the Eze Tow and it sure does say to leave the locking steering wheel unlocked. I don't understand this, I wouldn't want my towed vehicle/trailer to have more than one pivot point - doesn't seem like it would track correctly.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #7

They removed the Articulating Pin from the Eze Tow dolly design a few years ago as most manufactures do not have locking steering wheels any longer.

Without the articulating pin, the steering wheel needs to be unlocked for turns. Basically the front wheels are secured to the dolly, the vehicle pivots on the front wheels during turns.

If you go to their homepage at http://cartowdolly.com , there is a video that shows turns why the steering wheel needs to be unlocked. Starts about 2/3rds of the video time ……
Balibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #8

That does make sense since otherwise you would have a hayride style trailer (a cart if you will) and I suppose that wouldn't work too well when pulled at higher speeds or sharp turns.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #9

I did go online and watch the video showing the steering wheel turning while in turns. Pretty interesting. The Kar Kaddy wheels actually turn to track the motorhome. It is interesting watching it track the way it does.
We had a Camry Hybrid before the RAV4 and it did not like being towed on the dolly. Hit a bump and the horn would start honking for a few minutes. When we unloaded it, it would flash all kinds of codes and handled funny for about 1/2 mile. Then it would go back to normal. The Toyota shop did not have an answer for that. I guessed it may have something to do with the speed sensors on the wheels but don’t know enough about cars to figure it out.
chfraser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:31 PM   #10

i have a toyota camry 2003. i put it on my ez tow dolly and turn the ignition off, but dont take the key out. the steering wheel doesnt lock and it works very good. hope it works for you.
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Whar does the owner's manual say about towing with a dolly ot tow truck?
It's pretty vague, just states that dolly towing with front wheels up is fine, no flat towing.

thanks
Old 10-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #12

thanks, yes ours is different in that the steering wheel must remain in the unlocked position

Tags
dolly, rav4, towing