Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #1

Thumbs down Don't drive drunk

Earlier today while traveling on I-10 toward San Antonio we were nearly hit by a drunk driver. She came inches from driving into the side of my TT. Just caught her swerve from the center lane and cross into my lane. A blast of the horn apparently woke her up. As she sped away she swerved into the grass on the median and after passing a truck went into the grass on the other side. I called 911 to report the driver but just 3 miles down the hwy what was left of her silver sedan was down a hill and head on into a concrete drainage wall. An 18 wheeler driver was sprinting toward her car. Don't know the outcome but knowing the authorities were on there way I again reported the actual accident and location. It did not look good for the driver of the car and the passenger.

Sad to witness something like this and had hoped my 911 call would allow authorities to stop her before something like this happened. At least, no other cars were involved.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #2

So true. I was reared eND 18 months ago by an uninsured drunk driver.

Luckily my truck did not sustain much damage. I still had to pay the deductible for the repairs.

Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #3

So sad that folks drive under the influence. Pray for the family
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:23 PM   #4

No sympathy from me for drunk drivers. They endanger people I love. I'm amazed by people that get dui after dui, and courts just keep letting them walk...until they finally kill someone. I'm glad I live in a county that sees that. You get stopped here and have multiple dui convictions, you will spend literally decades in prison.

Tuckerdog1

Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.

You live and learn, or you don't live long.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:52 AM   #5

On my way home from awesome 15 day trip to disney we were hit by a drunk driver,first she nailed my back door then bed of my truck then the front of the trailer smashed the back end of her car when she stopped.She tried to take off but i kinda gave chase as best i could and she pulled over.luckily we were fine but couldnt believe it happened.

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #6

I'm so glad that you did not get in an accident because of this.

How do you know she was drunk and not distracted? I say this because I commute 46 miles round trip every day. Texting and phone use mimics DWI very closely. I can't tell you how many near misses I've encountered or seen.

A friend was stopped and making a left turn last summer, he was rear ended by a young woman who was texting. She was doing 55 mph. He will never walk again.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #7

That was going to be my question as well, it could just as easily been a heart attack or fell asleep.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I'm so glad that you did not get in an accident because of this.

How do you know she was drunk and not distracted? I say this because I commute 46 miles round trip every day. Texting and phone use mimics DWI very closely. I can't tell you how many near misses I've encountered or seen.

A friend was stopped and making a left turn last summer, he was rear ended by a young woman who was texting. She was doing 55 mph. He will never walk again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankp877 View Post
That was going to be my question as well, it could just as easily been a heart attack or fell asleep.
Or a diabetic episode. I live near San Antonio, and while we DO have a lot of impaired drivers, we also are one of the "fattest" cities (not judging, I contribute unfortunately), so we have a lot of health problems. That coupled with the low median income means many of those people don't have proper health care, which leads to problems of all kinds.

OP, I too am glad you and your family are okay. What an unfortunate situation. This is not how I want my area represented to visitors.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #9

The three "Big D's" I have to watch for every day. Drunk, drowsy and distracted(usually digital). They're all very dangerous and look very similar to other drivers.
PNWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
we also are one of the "fattest" cities (not judging, I contribute unfortunately), so we have a lot of health problems.
I'll have to do a bit of research. I'm wondering if Milwaukee beats San Antonio in that regard. At one time WI was one of the fattest states.