Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #1

Thumbs down Don't drive drunk

Earlier today while traveling on I-10 toward San Antonio we were nearly hit by a drunk driver. She came inches from driving into the side of my TT. Just caught her swerve from the center lane and cross into my lane. A blast of the horn apparently woke her up. As she sped away she swerved into the grass on the median and after passing a truck went into the grass on the other side. I called 911 to report the driver but just 3 miles down the hwy what was left of her silver sedan was down a hill and head on into a concrete drainage wall. An 18 wheeler driver was sprinting toward her car. Don't know the outcome but knowing the authorities were on there way I again reported the actual accident and location. It did not look good for the driver of the car and the passenger.

Sad to witness something like this and had hoped my 911 call would allow authorities to stop her before something like this happened. At least, no other cars were involved.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #2

So true. I was reared eND 18 months ago by an uninsured drunk driver.

Luckily my truck did not sustain much damage. I still had to pay the deductible for the repairs.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #3

So sad that folks drive under the influence. Pray for the family
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:23 PM   #4

No sympathy from me for drunk drivers. They endanger people I love. I'm amazed by people that get dui after dui, and courts just keep letting them walk...until they finally kill someone. I'm glad I live in a county that sees that. You get stopped here and have multiple dui convictions, you will spend literally decades in prison.

Tuckerdog1
You live and learn, or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:52 AM   #5

On my way home from awesome 15 day trip to disney we were hit by a drunk driver,first she nailed my back door then bed of my truck then the front of the trailer smashed the back end of her car when she stopped.She tried to take off but i kinda gave chase as best i could and she pulled over.luckily we were fine but couldnt believe it happened.

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #6

I'm so glad that you did not get in an accident because of this.

How do you know she was drunk and not distracted? I say this because I commute 46 miles round trip every day. Texting and phone use mimics DWI very closely. I can't tell you how many near misses I've encountered or seen.

A friend was stopped and making a left turn last summer, he was rear ended by a young woman who was texting. She was doing 55 mph. He will never walk again.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #7

That was going to be my question as well, it could just as easily been a heart attack or fell asleep.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post

How do you know she was drunk and not distracted? I say this because I commute 46 miles round trip every day. Texting and phone use mimics DWI very closely. I can't tell you how many near misses I've encountered or seen.

A friend was stopped and making a left turn last summer, he was rear ended by a young woman who was texting. She was doing 55 mph. He will never walk again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankp877 View Post
That was going to be my question as well, it could just as easily been a heart attack or fell asleep.
Or a diabetic episode. I live near San Antonio, and while we DO have a lot of impaired drivers, we also are one of the "fattest" cities (not judging, I contribute unfortunately), so we have a lot of health problems. That coupled with the low median income means many of those people don't have proper health care, which leads to problems of all kinds.

OP, I too am glad you and your family are okay. What an unfortunate situation. This is not how I want my area represented to visitors.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #9

The three "Big D's" I have to watch for every day. Drunk, drowsy and distracted(usually digital). They're all very dangerous and look very similar to other drivers.
PNWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
we also are one of the "fattest" cities (not judging, I contribute unfortunately), so we have a lot of health problems.
I'll have to do a bit of research. I'm wondering if Milwaukee beats San Antonio in that regard. At one time WI was one of the fattest states.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post

I don't, but got enough of a look into her car as she passed to see that she was not on the phone and was not talking to the passenger just sitting straight up and looking forward. After passing she pulled in front of me for maybe 20 seconds and then sped up again when she stuck 2 wheels into the grass on the median side before pulling back into her lane and swerved in front of a big truck. Then saw a puff of dust as she dropped onto the shoulder on the outside. Last I saw her she was back in the passing lane and passing another truck. Just a couple minutes later, while I was calling 911 we went past the accident scene that had just happened seconds before. Could have been medical but didn't see any distraction and the swerving went on for 3 -5 miles.

I too have no feelings for people who drive drunk and yes they seem to get away with multi dui's and in to many cases end up killing or hurting a lot of people before getting locked up. It was a blessing that no one else was hurt in this incident. Would have loved to come upon some blue lights a few miles up the road with her car safely pulled to the side and the driver in cuffs. No cuffs this time, but she may well have killed herself and her passenger.

My wife looked at me after arriving at our CG that afternoon and we both had the same comment, we dodged a bullet and how sad someone may have met the end like this. Makes you a little gun shy the next time you hook up and head down the road.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #12

When I was a teenager, I watched a Ford Mustang go toe to toe with a Grand Marquis right in front of me at about 50 mph. The girl driving the Mustang was also a teenager (I didn't know her). She began swerving back and forth like a pendulum and eventually crossed over and went head on with the Grand Marquis. It was like her steering got locked after she repeatedly over-corrected or something.

I stopped to help while the police/first responders were on their way (it's the Eagle Scout in me). The girl in the Mustang was pinned in her seat. I'll never forget that picture in my mind or the smell of the airbag. I'll spare you the details, but it's an image burned into my mind. The guy driving the Grand Marquis basically had an engine in his lap, but he was relatively okay. He had two kids in the back seat, and thankfully they walked away with bumps and bruises only. Also thankfully, everyone was belted in properly.

The officer asked if the driver of the Mustang was drunk. I didn't know the answer to that one. Before this happened, she was driving just like every other car on the road. So I'll never know what caused her to do what she did (mechanical problem, medical problem, impaired, tired ...) This was before Cell phones, so I doubt she was distracted, but it could have been the radio I guess.

It took me a while to get comfortable behind the wheel again after that. Because of that, I'm ALWAYS on my toes watching what other people on the road are doing. If I see something funky, I decrease speed and move away from it immediately.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #13

Here where I live, I actually volunteer with Crime Watch that is part of the Crime Prevention Program under the guidance of the Police. One night we followed a drunk driver that my partner and I witnessed getting into a car and driving off. He was clearly drunk and we called it in. We gave the police the play by play as to his direction of travel and his erratic driving he suddenly turned right without slowing down and hit a car with a father and his baby waiting to turn at the light. I pulled up immediately to try and block him in and he started to back up and almost hit my car. My partner jumped out to check the other car and I followed and made pull into a parking lot and blocked him in and demanded that he shut his car off as I was fully prepared to make a citizen's arrest and detained him. While this was going on, I was on radio calling for Fire and ambulance and the police were already on their way. This guy pleaded with me to help him and let him go and I told him that he caused an accident and that he was going nowhere. He actually said what accident? I was shocked. Police arrived and conducted a breathalyzer test, arrested him and took him to jail to confirm his alcohol reading, he was way over limit and fortunately the injuries were minor for the father in the other car and the baby was fine after being checked by EMS.