Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2016, 12:30 PM   #1

Driving to Providence RI

In June I'll be driving from northern Illinois to Providence Rhode Island. My wife is taking a class out there and I'll be camping solo for a few days with our two dogs. I've got a couple of questions for those of you from the east side of the country.

First map quest shows me a couple of routes is preferred route goes through Pennsylvania and takes 287 Aston's New York City and then cuts up through Connecticut to Rhode Island. The other route goes north to Buffalo and Albany New York before going south through Massachusetts to Providence.

Is there any preference on routes? There's only a 15 minute difference between the two. I would think that the northern route would see less traffic than going close to NYC.

Second does anyone have recommendations for campgrounds within an hour or so of Providence? There doesn't seem to be anything very close to the city.
CKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinsella View Post
In June I'll be driving from northern Illinois to Providence Rhode Island. My wife is taking a class out there and I'll be camping solo for a few days with our two dogs. I've got a couple of questions for those of you from the east side of the country.

First map quest shows me a couple of routes is preferred route goes through Pennsylvania and takes 287 Aston's New York City and then cuts up through Connecticut to Rhode Island. The other route goes north to Buffalo and Albany New York before going south through Massachusetts to Providence.

Is there any preference on routes? There's only a 15 minute difference between the two. I would think that the northern route would see less traffic than going close to NYC.

Second does anyone have recommendations for campgrounds within an hour or so of Providence? There doesn't seem to be anything very close to the city.
I am originally from Boston. I have driven the Buffalo/Albany route. Take that one. Once you are on the Mass Turnpike, you can take either 290 or 495 south to Providence. You'll only run into moderate traffic going through the cities on this route. Plus it's nice country. Safe travels!!

As for campgrounds, I'm not too sure. I usually camped on Cape Cod or up north in New Hampshire.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #3

This says there are quite a few in the area:

Providence, RI Campground Reviews - Best of Providence Camping - RV Park Reviews

Hope it helps you!
Old 02-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #4

Take the northern route. We've made the trip from eastern MA to MN three times in the past year and that's the route we've always taken. I agree with Camping Couple, the best route to Providence from I-90 is either 495 or 290 - my personal preference is 495. The stretch of 95 from NYC to Providence is always very heavy traffic, and last time I was on it there was also a lot of construction.

Not very familiar with campgrounds in the Providence area as we're typically camping on the Cape, but I have heard that Normandy Farms is very nice.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:07 PM   #5

x2 for I90 (tolled) and so on. The farthest south I would go is I80 to I84 through CT. 287 is too far east and south from the west and not needed.

Can't hep on CG's in the area.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
Not very familiar with campgrounds in the Providence area as we're typically camping on the Cape, but I have heard that Normandy Farms is very nice.
Normandy is very nice except you have to leave your wallet at the main office lol

We stayed at Circle CG campground last Memorial Day. Relatively small, but it's quiet and and only 30 mins north of Providence.

Circle CG Farm | Putting the Family back in Family Camping!

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #7

Avoid I-95

Agree with the comments above. Do not take I-95. The Mass Pike (although tolls) is the better ride. I-95 is traffic traffic traffic!

Alicia and Glenn
Hartford (area), CT
2012 Nissan Pathfinder (V6)
2014 X18D
gvn71 is offline   Reply With Quote