Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #1

Dryer sheets

So maybe someone has had the same problem before. Dryer sheets worked great for keeping the mice out. But, I may have over-done it. I put so many in, that I cant get the smell of the sheets out. windows have been open for a month, fan on when I can. My wife has allergies and cant be in it right now because of the smell. Any advice?
mcderyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:08 PM   #2

Go to a Tool Rental and get an Ozone Generator or Odor Removal Machine.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #3

I tried dryer sheets once without success. I think they're called "sheets" because that's what the mice use them for. They make little beds to sleep in when they're not chewing on the upholstery or pooping in the silverware drawers.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
I tried dryer sheets once without success. I think they're called "sheets" because that's what the mice use them for. They make little beds to sleep in when they're not chewing on the upholstery or pooping in the silverware drawers.
This is my experience too. The mice enjoyed their fresh scented nests they built with them. Sealing up all the holes to the outside and Cab Fresh have been my answer since then.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Go to a Tool Rental and get an Ozone Generator or Odor Removal Machine.
X2, I have tried every urban legend to keep mice away. None work.

X2 on the ozone generator.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:17 PM   #6

X3 on the Ozone generator. But I would go in with soap and water and hit every surface that doesn't move. The dryer sheets are coated with wax and scent. Anywhere they laid they may have left a deposit of very fragrant was. It may even have impregnated anything that would absorb it. On fabrics you might use Febreze but be careful and use in moderation cause that stuff has a strong odor itself. Try to see if you can find an unscented type to use if it is out there.
Last but most important. Get under that RV and plug every hole with stainless steel wool or aluminum screen wire and foam or silicone it in place. Go inside and go in every cabinet, cubby, etc. and do it from the top. Nothing better than a solid metal wall between you and mice. Put screens over outside openings and if you keep it plugged in make sure the wire port is protected too.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:25 PM   #7

Having mice in your trailer is just silly. You need to mouse-proof it.

They don't go in unless there is a hole. If there is a hole and you leave it open, then you invited them in. You have to examine every freeking square inch of the trailer for holes. That means top, bottom and all sides. If you find a hole seal it up.

Now that means crawling on your belly under the trailer and examining every inch. That's an uncomfortable job. Not doing that means you get mice.

So make a decision - be uncomfortable mouse-proofing, or be inconvenienced cleaning up mouse poop.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #8

Thanks

Thanks to those of you that answered the actual question instead of saying “you should have done this or that”

mcderyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:36 PM   #9

I thought the original question had been fully answered. It's an ozone generator.

Nevertheless, I apologize for elaborating on why all of the urban myths don't work. I always feel bad when I hear about mice. Our RV has been 100% mouse free for 34 years now. Our neighbor right next door is on his 3rd trailer now, with the first 2 destroyed by mice.....every single year.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
I thought the original question had been fully answered. It's an ozone generator.

Nevertheless, I apologize for elaborating on why all of the urban myths don't work. I always feel bad when I hear about mice. Our RV has been 100% mouse free for 34 years now. Our neighbor right next door is on his 3rd trailer now, with the first 2 destroyed by mice.....every single year.
Same happened to my friend. He parked his trailer on our property directly behind mine next to the horse pasture. I learned my lesson when I got mice in mine, thankfully minimal mess. I crawled all around and sealed up every nook and cranny with pest foam and caulking. I threw Cab Fresh everywhere just in case and put a few snap traps in the corners. I warned him to do the same, he procrastinated and just put traps in. A couple weeks later he came to do what I’d suggested and his camper was wrecked. They destroyed his vent ducts and pooped everywhere. I felt bad but I warned him and we are all adults.

I didn’t take the comment as bad. There’s no substitute for due diligence to keep those nasty things out. They’ll just keep coming in given the chance. No amount of chemicals and traps works better than just making it impossible for them to enter in the first place
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:37 PM   #11

The YouTube channel Mouse Trap Monday tried all the DIY repellents from mint to ultrasound and none seemed to make a difference. Yet they seem to work for some people. My usual thought is at least you are left with a fresh minty smell. Now I know even that can be a problem.

Sorry for the hijack
Old 05-18-2020, 04:12 PM   #12

Quote:
I just spit beer all over myself! Same experience here with dryer sheets. I tried Irish Spring Soap and the damn mice ate the soap...
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I just spit beer all over myself! Same experience here with dryer sheets. I tried Irish Spring Soap and the damn mice ate the soap...
Keeping mice out of an RV is easy peasy, but the shed in my back yard isn't so easy. I sprayed all of the possible openings with the rodent specific expanding foam great stuff. They ate it all! I can't imagine how this stuff can actually be sold. The mice left about 5x more poop than the stuff they ate. I guess it must be healthy for them.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:37 PM   #14

Another precaution that we take is to make certain all food scraps, crumbs anything that can be chewed through to eat. We wipe it clean all the places that we stored food stuff.
Bob
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post
i tried dryer sheets once without success. I think they're called "sheets" because that's what the mice use them for. They make little beds to sleep in when they're not chewing on the upholstery or pooping in the silverware drawers.
lol
Old 05-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #16

Walmart brand lavender scent is the standard everyone uses and for our cabin in northern Michigan and the one that really works.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:16 AM   #17

Well, yeah, poop. But how many of you inspect your silverware....that's where their pee shows up nice and bright. ix-nay on the dryer sheets....same result of little villages popping up everywhere they are. I double down on the beasts....fireproof foam caulk from 3M in the little holes and such + every year I put out about a half dozen of the green sticky traps. They have a 'bait' smell plus during the storage time, bugs get stuck. Looks like a buffet set up for the mice...well, you can guess the rest. Only catch bugs these days.
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #18

My neighbor did that in his Jayco.. the mice used the sheets as TP. After reading up on mice I decided to go with solar lights under the RV. Mice hate light.. so far it has worked well.. One light under the nose of the trailer the other under the tail end so no shadows no place to hide.. just pick them up when ready to pull out..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:06 PM   #19

Best way to get rid of that pesky dryer sheet smell is to put two mice in your trailer, one male, one female. Wait two months and you won’t smell the dryer sheets anymore. :-).

For me, the critters came up through the hole where the water hose comes from the fresh water tank to the pump. I can just picture the wonderful platform that the top of the water tank makes for them to take their time chewing away at the factory silicone. I reinforced the whole undercarriage with wire mesh and silicone, seems to be working.

Don’t know if I’d use an ozone generator as a first attack. I’d try mild soap and water on every surface first, even the Furniture fabrics. Then maybe I’d Use a fabric water steamer On the fabrics assuming they can handle it.

Hope that helps . Good luck.

If
apdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:42 AM   #20

We set traps and use pungent pine-smelling wood chips - so far so good - have not seen evidence of mice. We park on a cement slab near the house with activity and a tenacious hound around.

Dryer sheets work really well to gently wash bugs off the front of the camper. We save the used ones - push 'em into an empty kleenex box - and use a few at a time as needed.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote