Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2016, 08:17 PM   #1

Dump station line

Just a little reminder to all: if there are 6 RVs in the dump station line, and everyone takes 10 minutes to dump, the last RV in line will have been there an hour.

Maybe Labor Day weekend isn't the best time to do a 5 cycle dump/flush. If there's heavy traffic, etiquette says hook it up, pull the handle, pull the other handle, unhook, rinse, and move up. THEN stow all your hoses. 3 minutes per RV tops.

Ok, off my soapbox now.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #2

So you were #6?

A couple weeks ago I was holding up the line (4 rv's) filling my fresh water tanks. A guy came up to me and wondered what the problem was. I told him that the water from the spigot only can run so fast. 90 gallon tanks take a while to fill.

Patience is the key at the dump station line.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:04 PM   #3

I don't have a dog in the fight but if your expectations is for every person to dump in three minutes I think that's a little unrealistic. For many this is the last trip of the season, the kids are back to school, and it's time to store the rig for the winter and it may be the only opportunity they have to properly take care of everything. Best thing to do is leave earlier or later and avoid the peak travel times altogether.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
I don't have a dog in the fight but if your expectations is for every person to dump in three minutes I think that's a little unrealistic. For many this is the last trip of the season, the kids are back to school, and it's time to store the rig for the winter and it may be the only opportunity they have to properly take care of everything. Best thing to do is leave earlier or later and avoid the peak travel times altogether.
This is when I like to go out, when school is in section. Yes I do have kids.

When we stay at private CGs which we do not do often. I'll pull into a full hookup site and dump, to avoid the long line at the dump station

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
This is when I like to go out, when school is in section. Yes I do have kids.
Me too.... I love fall camping.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2016, 12:52 AM   #6

Wow. There is no way we could dump in 3 minutes. Getting out our hoses and connecting takes longer than that. And then we have a Rhino Blaster Pro that we use to get our tanks really clean. Labour Day weekend is our last trip of the year, if we don't clean it well now at the dump station, we are screwed all season. There aren't random dump stations in our city to clean things out when we are home.

That being said, we typically head to the beach or somewhere else first after we check out, then go back to the dump station well after check out time so we hopefully don't block anyone for a significant amount of time. I fear we may cause slow downs at all the places we go though as since we've had the Rhino Blaster Pro, we have someone ask us about it every time (not someone behind us in line wondering why we are so slow, but someone parallel to us), and they want to get one...

Edit: and full hook up sites aren't common here for our provincial or national campgrounds.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:39 AM   #7

we like this time of year also, kids in school, leaves changing, cool temps, no lines no waiting

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post

When we stay at private CGs which we do not do often. I'll pull into a full hookup site and dump, to avoid the long line at the dump station
This is a really good idea...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
This is a really good idea...
In a tacky, cheapskate kind of way....
Old 09-06-2016, 05:00 AM   #10

Guy in front of me Monday dumped his in record time. Just pull the handle let it go on the ground. No need to worry about hoses they only slow you down. I walked over with a gallon of bleach while he was still dumping his grey water and started pouring it on his black residue. Let him know i did not want to play in his crap.
bigcuzauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcuzauto View Post
Guy in front of me Monday dumped his in record time. Just pull the handle let it go on the ground. No need to worry about hoses they only slow you down. I walked over with a gallon of bleach while he was still dumping his grey water and started pouring it on his black residue. Let him know i did not want to play in his Sh*t.
Nasty.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:47 AM   #12

I bought a macerator so now I can dump at home. I never dump at camp unless I have a full hook up site.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:06 AM   #13

I take an extra vacation day at work. That puts us a day behind the big push to get out of CampingLand.

Pull up to a quiet office/general store, pay the fee. Drive to dump site and dump. Clean up. 1/2 an hour start-to-finish. In 7 years, we've delayed another camper only once. I was still on the black tank when they pulled up.

No dawdling, delaying or dilly-dallying. Do your business and move on....

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #14
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
I bought a macerator so now I can dump at home. I never dump at camp unless I have a full hook up site.
This is similar to what I do - a couple of weeks ago it was A) raining and 2) there was someone behind me in line. I just emptied the tanks and left. When I got home I pulled up to a cleanout in the front of the house and flushed out the black tank to my hearts' desire. We are lucky to have it and also store the camper at the house.

The rub is, as mentioned, at this point in the year people are getting a little more thorough in anticipation of the last camping event of the season.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
So you were #6?

A couple weeks ago I was holding up the line (4 rv's) filling my fresh water tanks. A guy came up to me and wondered what the problem was. I told him that the water from the spigot only can run so fast. 90 gallon tanks take a while to fill.

Patience is the key at the dump station line.
No... I was #7.

I did eventually bail out, though. I hauled back heavy, and hit the city dumpstation on the way home,.

I guess ya'll are missing my point: it appears common sense and the "neighborly RV community" all goes down the drain (literally) when it comes to the dump station line.

If there is a huge line, pull the sewer hose out of the bumper before its your turn at the dump.

If there is a huge line, dump, rinse, and move ahead.

If its the busiest camping weekend of the year, maybe think of others, and if you intend on doing your year-end tank maintenance, maybe you wait until the line clears.

I think way way way too much "stink" has been made about black tanks lately. its just a holding tank, and the cheap sensors never work correctly. Folks are getting crazed about a "clean" black tank.

Before the interwebs, how do you suppose the RVers of yesteryear operated? Did they all just fall into the fetal position? NO. We figured it out and used common sense.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcuzauto View Post
Guy in front of me Monday dumped his in record time. Just pull the handle let it go on the ground. No need to worry about hoses they only slow you down. I walked over with a gallon of bleach while he was still dumping his grey water and started pouring it on his black residue. Let him know i did not want to play in his Sh*t.
That's just nasty, and illegal in most areas. You probably handled it better than I would have.

Back to the topic, we plan on camping several more times yet this year, but nothing is etched in stone so I view every trip to the dumpstation as maybe my last one for the season. I made the mistake last time of not dumping my tanks at the CG because of the line. I found a dump station online while driving home that was tucked away in one of our smaller mountain towns. What we didn't know is the entire town is torn up for road work, narrow 1 lane roads with the asphalt recently removed, traffic jams, street closures and a google maps route that had me dead ended on a one lane road, miles off course. We just said screw it and took it home without emptying. Had to pull it out of storage a couple weeks later to finally get the tanks clean. In hindsight we should have just waited as long as it took before leaving the camp ground. The effort to deal with it later was 10 times worse, not to mention driving around with all that extra weight. Sometimes traveling with the camper is like going by rail. If you're in a hurry, you are going to end up angry at some point.

If we are doing a multi-stop trip, we try to make our final camping spot one with full hookups, not that this always works out, but usually there's a KOA we overnight at before making the final leg home.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:04 AM   #17

I hate the "drain train" and make it a point to have the last stay of the season at a FHU site, so I can do my thing to store the unit.

I have been #6 or more and agree that 10 minutes is about average per unit. My unit has 2 connections and 5 valves, so if your behind me it's a minimum 15 minutes. Holiday weekend state and county park stays just have this factor to deal with.

Usually I just wait to go on the end of the line 11AM or later, so no one is waiting on me and I can do my thing. More camping time for the family this way. Traffic is still going to be there waiting for me .

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #18

I hate the "drain train" and make it a point to have the last stay of the season at a FHU site, so I can do my thing to store the unit.

I have been #6 or more and agree that 10 minutes is about average per unit. My unit has 2 connections and 5 valves, so if your behind me it's a minimum 15 minutes. Holiday weekend state and county park stays just have this factor to deal with.

Usually I just wait to go on the end of the line 11AM or later, so no one is waiting on me and I can do my thing. More camping time for the family this way. Traffic is still going to be there waiting for me .

Another option is if your passing a place to dump along the route home that hour could be 15 minutes and $5.00.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #19

Or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
In a tacky, cheapskate kind of way....
A local private RV "resort" allows to pull in and dump at an empty spot on the honor system. $5 per visit at the cashbox near the entrance.

D
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #20

What about the guy who decides to fix his TT tail lights after dumping...with us and my daughter and son-in-law behind him. I watched him for a few minutes plugging/un-plugging and then when he came around back with tools I had enough. I walked up and asked him to pull up so we could dump. It was then he realized we were there waiting! He was so intent on fixing it, he never looked 20' back!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote