Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #41

Check the FAQs on your issuing state's EP-Pass site. You'll find that all you need do is have one transponder in your tow vehicle. The EZ-Pass equipment will accurately count your total number of axles and charge you accordingly. For example, if you are pulling a car with a total of four axles, you'll be charged a toll for one car and two additional axles. Other systems work the same way. In Florida we have SunPass and it works that way. So, the SunPass toll on the Florida Turnpike I use is $1.07 per car and $1.07 for each additional axle. My account is charged the $3.21 when I pull my car behind my two-axle motor home.
jim.moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #42

EZ Pass, SunPass in FL, and TX has its own

My PA EZPass works in the northeast and Ohio. When we bought the RV, all I had to do was add it as an additional vehicle allowed to use the account. As others have said, the toll booth/overhead sensors read the pass and charge according to axles. Florida, on the other hand, doesn't recognize EZPass and I had to buy the SunPass for traveling on Florida's Turnpike and other toll roads around the state (especially Orlando). When we went out west this summer, I discovered that Texas has its own toll system that isn't compatible with either EZPass or SunPass and it was supposed to read my license plate and send me a bill. That was back in June and I've never received a bill perhaps because it couldn't read the RV plate with the tow dolly and my husband's car in the way.
susan34982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #43

We are from Canda purchased EZ Pass in Delaware. Have been all over from New York to Memphis through Kentucky pulling a Traval trailer with not a problem . Only had to register the tow vehicle and any other vehicle I might use it in. They even send all notices up her to the cold north .
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperStu View Post
silly question but i am finding it hard to select the right EZ pass ..
i traveled to NY ,Vermont and New hampshire this summer noted they are getting rid of the pay tolls just ez pass now - problem is i spoke to someone at one of the stops on the interstate , i explained i had a truck and trailer and i purchased what they suggested .
when i go home i noted it was only for a vehicle not a vehicle and a trailer

i tried to sign up on line it is confusing what do i need to do to get a proper pass for a GMC pickup truck pulling a Jayco feather light two axle ( 4 tires)- this is 8 tires in total when i am traveling ..

do i need two passes one for when i am pulling my trailer and one for just when i travel without the trailer

these things should be sold at the Jayco dealerships would make things a lot easier..
we have a NY E-Z pass and we tow a boat trailer and an ATV trailer three or four times a year and we just blow through the toll gate, we never get any extra charges.

and the NY E-Z-pass is good in Ohio
Jmac000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #45

Agreed we've done Maine Nh and CT and they count the axles and charge accordingly. Hubby works in all NE states and tows trailers all on same EZ pass that we purchased in Maine...
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:33 PM   #46

Here in Virginia I've had no problems using my same EZ-Pass both towing and not towing. I've never had to add any of my trailers' tags, and I've gone through NC, VA, and MD.
gothsqwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewm View Post
Note that isnt true for EZ Pass transponders or Sun Pass transponders. Us northern folks cannot use Ez Pass in Georgia or Florida and the opposite is also true.
Actually it depends on where you buy your pass. North Carolina is the only state whose pass works on all east coast systems, including Georgia and Florida.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac000 View Post
we have a NY E-Z pass and we tow a boat trailer and an ATV trailer three or four times a year and we just blow through the toll gate, we never get any extra charges.

I do the same thing--I figure is they're too stupid to count the axles it's not my problem.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac000 View Post

And now that they know, they will be on the lookout for you!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2018, 04:07 PM   #50

Understand. Just saying that the pass from NC is programmed to work on the Florida, Ga and the EZ-Pass systems along with NC obviously.

If I can confirm this with those folks via phone, I would probably get one or two from NC. I travel in both directions to see family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewm View Post
Note that isnt true for EZ Pass transponders or Sun Pass transponders. Us northern folks cannot use Ez Pass in Georgia or Florida and the opposite is also true.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Move West...i've not seen a "toll road" in the last 20 years
Where in the west do you live? southern California has toll roads.
johnharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #52

Wanted to report that Central Florida Expressway (Toll facility for some of the toll roads in the Orlando area) now has the E-Pass Xtra. The E-Pass Xtra will work on all toll roads in Florida and most toll bridges. It will also work on the Peach Pass, NC toll roads, AND all tolls in the E-Z Pass system from Virginia to Maine to Illinois.

They are $17.50 per transponder. Must keep a minimum balance of $10 for each transponder ordered. There is no monthly or annual fee. If you have 2 transponders, the minimum balance is $30. And $55 is the required amount to replenish funds, when they hit the minimum amount.

Only one transponder is needed, however, as explained to me this morning, if you have one transponder and you have two vehicles on your account, you have to notify CFX which vehicle the transponder is in when using it. Or you order 2, and not have to go through that bother. It's personal choice.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
Then avoid Denver. Last time (several years ago) I was passing thru and following signage (forgot the GPS. Since then have TV with built in GPS), it led me out to the toll road. Didn't know until you were trapped and not able to get off. No toll gates open and an unexpectedly high toll bill arrived via mail.

To be honest, I now intentionally avoided buying anything in the Denver Metro when passing thru since then, and have made sure I have my GPS set to "AVOID TOLL ROADS"! And I normally make a point of staying as far away from Denver as possible. One trip it allowed us to watch Union Pacific's No, 844 Steam Locomotive heading up a grade as it left a passenger station, heading back to Cheyenne, WY. Would really like to get another chance to see her run and maybe ride.

Yep, one road which goes to the airport, which I have no reason to travel it. There is a frontage road that goes to the same place, which costs nothing, did take that once when picking up folks at the airport.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnharrison View Post
Where in the west do you live? southern California has toll roads.

Arizona, I don't travel to foreign countries....like Kalifornia When I did travel there, never saw a toll road...But that was a decade or more ago. No reason for me to ever travel on one. The interstates out west do not have tolls on them, least I've never seen or paid one. I rarely take an interstate tho, much rather travel back roads and see the real country and real people.

Actually going to travel East next year for several graduations and a wedding of my grandkids. Will be going to N Carolina, hopefully will be able to avoid toll roads (and interstates). Planning on taking 4 or 5 weeks, to get there, so no hurry. Will meander on the way home, avoiding tourist areas and "toll roads".

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:11 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail154 View Post
. Works fine no issues to date other than ez pass does not work in Florida ugh!
We get a bill when we tow on FL parkways.. But hee hee.. When the RV is parked and we put bikes on the bike rack.. the camera cannot read our plate..
hint

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #56

Here's a map of the E-ZPass coverage area.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #57

I have 2 transponders for my TV and I used this form for the 5th wheel combo. My non towing pass is in the plastic bag in the glove box.

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf

State by state will vary, but a simple call or stop along a highway EZ pass walk in office will get you setup correctly.

5'er combos get a discount vs TT's for whatever reason which is a good reason to have a tag in my case. Photos would result in higher tolls.

Throgs neck bridge has gone to non booth tolling which use plate photos or tags.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #58

I have an EZ-Pass that works great with our 5er everywhere up here in the Northeast. We are planning a trip this year through the additional states of NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, TX, NM, AZ, OK, AR. What do I do about these other states where EZ-Pass doesn't work? Do I just rely on getting a bill in the mail through the plate cameras? Does anyone know of a website that lists all the electronic tolling systems for each state?

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MBOK
2019 Ford F-250 King Ranch diesel

2015 Jayco X23B (sold)
2008 Jayco 23B (sold)
2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch (sold)
Rayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #59

There's a free app called 'TollGuru' a fellow JOF member told me about. It shows the toll roads and costs and may help your investigation.

For example it says, 'Currently no toll roads exist in Arizona.'

Hope it helps.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayco View Post
I have an EZ-Pass that works great with our 5er everywhere up here in the Northeast. We are planning a trip this year through the additional states of NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, TX, NM, AZ, OK, AR. What do I do about these other states where EZ-Pass doesn't work? Do I just rely on getting a bill in the mail through the plate cameras? Does anyone know of a website that lists all the electronic tolling systems for each state?
There is only one state which issues a pass which will work in the Midwest, NE, NC, GA and FL.

check out North Carolina Quick Pass https://www.ncquickpass.com/Pages/default.aspx

I just ordered an Easy Pass Transponder which works for all Easy Pass tolls in the NE and upper midwest plus GA, NC and FL (with the exception of some private bridges). They also provided stickers for my Porsche and my wife's SUV which work in GA, FL and NC.

Your options can be found at https://www.ncquickpass.com/resource...nsponders.aspx

If you do or plan on travel in the states covered, it might be the best option in the long run.

Tags
ez pass