Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Here's a map of the E-ZPass coverage area.
The exception is the North Carolina Quick Pass transponder. Works in all the states on the map. https://www.ncquickpass.com/resource...nsponders.aspx
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #62

Where in NC. ? Ive not run into a toll road there
There is one in SC
Personally I'd let them snap a plate picture and bill you if you run into tolls
which are rarer wherevyou are going
EZPass is Not free to buy. You are paying for the transponder etc
requires a bit of usage to break even

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #63

X852 here. Have PA EZ Pass, registered both my wife's car and my tow vehicle (use it in both from time to time, even other cars), plus my TT. I've towed in PA, MD, NY, NJ, MA, NH and ME, always charged correctly. Although there was this one time on the NY Thruway where my EZ Pass didn't register either getting on or getting off - never got charged for that. Weird. Anyway, I agree with everyone else. The EZ Pass system correctly registers the number of axles, and charges you appropriately. No problem.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #64

We bought the NC QuickPass and it has worked perfectly all over the south and into CT.
I returned my SunPass to FL and my EZPass to NH.
Strongly recommend the NC QuickPass for all eastern travel.
NHstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Where in NC. ? Ive not run into a toll road there
There is one in SC
Personally I'd let them snap a plate picture and bill you if you run into tolls
which are rarer wherevyou are going
EZPass is Not free to buy. You are paying for the transponder etc
requires a bit of usage to break even

Here are the North Carolina toll roads. https://www.ncquickpass.com/rates-fa...s/default.aspx

As for South Carolina, toll roads are I-185 at Greenville and the Cross island Parkway near Charleston. SC is does not use EZPass or work with any other system. So if you just stay on I-85 or use the Parkway, you won't run into a toll.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #66

Florida seems to gain in toll roads, I guess to help offset the no tax status.
NC has several around Charlotte and they have plans for more. If you stay on I=85 and the non-commuter part of I-77 then you will be fine. With our grandchildren living in Old Winter Park, FL the payback is very short! Particularly when they ask us to bring the camper!
Old 02-09-2019, 04:54 PM   #67

We went around Charlotte two weeks ago Outer 485 is free

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 02-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #68

Thank goodness! We have avoided the I-77/85 interchange since the first section of I-485was completed.
With taxes as high as they are in NC I wonder why toll roads?
Old 02-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #69

I cant aprak for inner 485 in Charlotte. never traveled it

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 02-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #70

for me, the e-z-pass isn't about the money. It's about getting from one place to another without standing in line for 20 minutes. Which to me, is a humungous waste of gas, and therefore money.

When we travel down the NYS thruway, especially during the holidays, the EZ-pass can get you through a toll booth in as little as 15 seconds or as much as 6 minutes. But invaritably, it's way faster than waiting for some Kenworth Pilot to sit at the toll booth while he spends 10 minutes looking for change to pay or waiting for Mr & Mrs. Lost to get direction from the nice Toll-taker. If you have ever gone to Exit 50, in Buffalo at Thanksgiving or Christmas, and the line is literally backed up for 5 miles ( thats three lanes, bumper to bumper) you'll appreciate the EZ-PASS.

In the past, we have gone to Boston during Thanksgiving or Christmas. The Mass Pike folks are smart enough to know when a 20-30 minute wait is a bad thing and they will post Troopers at the toll booth and simply wave everyone through. Many people stop because, that's what you're suppose to do and the troopers end-up yelling at them to move along, QUICKLY, just to clear traffic. New Yorkistan doesn't care how long you sit there with your engine running and wasting gas, they want your money, period.

Im also the type of person that, if I have to fuel up on the thruway I will go to the full service gas pump and pump my own. Yes it costs more per gallon, but think about how long you will be waiting in line. If there are 5 cars ahead of you, each one takes 5 minutes to fuel up ( or longer if they check the oil and clean the windshield) that 25- 30 minutes added to your trip. My time is worth much more than the 25 minutes I'd have to wait. I can pull up to the full service island and be gone in 5 minutes. Why would you wait 25 minutes to save $3? I'd rather be moving, not sitting.

But thats just me, YMMV

However, I suspect in the next couple years, all of this is going to go away. As vehicles become more efficient, states will begin to lose "gas tax revenue" and will switch to a Highway Use tax. Toll booth will be paperless. They will simply take a picture of your plates and send you a bill or take it out of an existing account.

One other thing, AFA I can tell, 'they' do not track EZ-pass tags. Back in the eary 2000's I have been know to go from exit 39 in Syracuse to Exit 47 in Rochester in less than 40 minutes ~~~ On my Goldwing. I never received any kind of 'notification' about time and distance. Unfortunately I sold the Big Red Sled back in 2009. Im just getting to old for that crap LOL
Jmac000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #71

The Mass Pike has no toll booths
Has not for a couple of years
It is all open road tolling
For everyone
Old 02-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #72

Got my NJ EZPass in 2001. I don't know if I paid an initial fee - seems to me I didn't. Traveling in the northeast without one is foolish. Toll roads, bridges, tunnels - there are tolls all over. They keep my credit card on file, charge me when my balance gets to $10, and there's no monthly fee.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
The Mass Pike has no toll booths
Has not for a couple of years
It is all open road tolling
For everyone
you are correct, the last time we went through Massachusetts with the EZ-pass was in 2012. My parents lived in N. bellarica from 1998 to 2013.

Anyone remember a long time ago the Mass Troopers would use their infamous "rolloing road block" a couple patrol cars, side by side going exactly 55mph. LOL HATED THEM things

man Im getting old
Jmac000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac000 View Post
you are correct, the last time we went through Massachusetts with the EZ-pass was in 2012. My parents lived in N. bellarica from 1998 to 2013.

Anyone remember a long time ago the Mass Troopers would use their infamous "rolloing road block" a couple patrol cars, side by side going exactly 55mph. LOL HATED THEM things

man Im getting old
LOL

I know that I am sometimes slow to notice but we travel often via Mass Tpk to visit grandkids
I am so glad for open road tolling
The plaza at Auburn was a pretzel. EZ pass was always in the wrong lane far right then tou had to cross six lanes of traffic to get to westbound Turnpike
Much not fun with RV
Thats my big gripe with EZ Pass Non standard placement of EZ Pass lanes. They ought all be leftmost
The other ( Yes there is one more) is gates
Old 02-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #75

There is one other outfit that issues a pass that works in NE, Upper midwest, plus GA, NC, and all of FL. That would be the Central Florida Expressway folks. Unfortunately, in Florida, there are two toll road systems, E-Pass (Central Florida Expressway) and Sun Pass (controlled by FDOT), and sometimes they intermingle. This happens in Orlando area.

The Sun Pass is only recognized in all of Florida including CFX, GA, and NC.

Central Florida Expressway's E-Pass Xtra is recognized in 18 states, FL, GA, NC, VA, WV, MD, DE, NJ, NY, PA, MA, RI, NH, ME, OH, IN, IL, and KY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
There is only one state which issues a pass which will work in the Midwest, NE, NC, GA and FL.

check out North Carolina Quick Pass https://www.ncquickpass.com/Pages/default.aspx

I just ordered an Easy Pass Transponder which works for all Easy Pass tolls in the NE and upper midwest plus GA, NC and FL (with the exception of some private bridges). They also provided stickers for my Porsche and my wife's SUV which work in GA, FL and NC.

Your options can be found at https://www.ncquickpass.com/resource...nsponders.aspx

If you do or plan on travel in the states covered, it might be the best option in the long run.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:29 AM   #76

WAGS999 - Guess you haven't been into Colorado lately.

Hog3loves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:35 AM   #77

We have the NJ version of EZ Pass. When you setup an account online, you'll need to identify what vehicles and license plates that that EZ Pass will be used on. It will also take trailers in the list of vehicles. I have the Yukon XL, GMC 3500 Dually, Harley Electra Glide, and four, yes, four, trailers listed (one that the Harley tows, one to tow the Harley in when needed, my flatbed car carrier, and our Jayco 5er). Each toll station WILL take a picture and if the license plate is listed on you tag account, you will be charged as authorized vehicle.

Hog3loves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
There is one other outfit that issues a pass that works in NE, Upper midwest, plus GA, NC, and all of FL. That would be the Central Florida Expressway folks. Unfortunately, in Florida, there are two toll road systems, E-Pass (Central Florida Expressway) and Sun Pass (controlled by FDOT), and sometimes they intermingle. This happens in Orlando area.

The Sun Pass is only recognized in all of Florida including CFX, GA, and NC.

Central Florida Expressway's E-Pass Xtra is recognized in 18 states, FL, GA, NC, VA, WV, MD, DE, NJ, NY, PA, MA, RI, NH, ME, OH, IN, IL, and KY.
E-PASS Xtra looks like a winner. It works in all of Florida? Are there any hidden fees or things I should know other than making a one time payment to get the tag?

Thanks, Bob
Old 03-10-2019, 04:10 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
E-PASS Xtra looks like a winner. It works in all of Florida? Are there any hidden fees or things I should know other than making a one time payment to get the tag?

Thanks, Bob
No hidden fees that I can find. They don't charge a yearly fee either. I do have a credit card tied to mine so it can be replenished automatically if tolls paid cause it to fall below the required level. Obviously, you can pre pay by check or other means a larger amount than required and not have a credit card tied to the account. This just means you have to send them another check when the total falls below the minimum amount required.

Yes, the E-Pass Xtra is good on all Florida toll roads, and every other toll system up the east coast to Maine, and west to Illinois.

I've only used mine once. Shortly after I got it back in December, we went up to Michigan to visit our daughter for Christmas. Used the WV tolls twice going and twice coming home. Worked like a charm.

To make things easier, I got two transponders, at twice the price of course. One for the truck and one for the car. That way I don't have to physically call and change the vehicle assigned to the transponder.

The trailer was also registered as a virtual vehicle along with the plate number, in case I was pulling it with the truck. That doesn't cost any more money.

I did it all over the phone. I figured it was easier to actually talk to a person, who could answer any questions as we went along with the registration.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #80

I have EZ Pass here in Pennsylvania.
I have one transponder
Went online and listed the license plate of 2 vehicles (Car and Expedition)
ALSO listed the license plate number for the trailer.
Usually the transponder stays in my car. BUT when I travel it moves to the Expedition.
In the past 3 years, traveled toll roads a lot when pulling the trailer. never had any issues and was always billed properly.

Also, I never had to call anyone to tell them which vehicle the transponder was being used on. I do have mine set to automatically up the account from a credit card when it gets down to $10.00.

EASY AS PIE!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ez pass