Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2018, 03:55 PM   #1

E-ZPass On -The- Go

silly question but i am finding it hard to select the right EZ pass ..
i traveled to NY ,Vermont and New hampshire this summer noted they are getting rid of the pay tolls just ez pass now - problem is i spoke to someone at one of the stops on the interstate , i explained i had a truck and trailer and i purchased what they suggested .
when i go home i noted it was only for a vehicle not a vehicle and a trailer

i tried to sign up on line it is confusing what do i need to do to get a proper pass for a GMC pickup truck pulling a Jayco feather light two axle ( 4 tires)- this is 8 tires in total when i am traveling ..

do i need two passes one for when i am pulling my trailer and one for just when i travel without the trailer

these things should be sold at the Jayco dealerships would make things a lot easier..
CamperStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
Site Team

I've pulled up and down the east coast using my PA EZ pass. Each state is slightly different in what they require. PA for example automatically calculates the truck and trailer. WV I've gone through the manned toll booths and asked the attendant if it charged for both and they have always said yes. Other than calling each state's office or visiting their website, I'm not sure how you can get the information you need.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #3

I have an I-Pass for the IL Tollway and it is accepted in most other states with tolls. It's registered to our cars and our truck. I can move to what ever vehicle I'm using including rentals. When I tow through the tollway it automatically charges based on the axles. Some states discourage this type of use but from what I've read they all allow it but have slightly different rules around it. Do Google searches like "ez pass with trailer" to find the relevant FAQs.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I have an I-Pass for the IL Tollway and it is accepted in most other states with tolls. It's registered to our cars and our truck. I can move to what ever vehicle I'm using including rentals. When I tow through the tollway it automatically charges based on the axles. Some states discourage this type of use but from what I've read they all allow it but have slightly different rules around it. Do Google searches like "ez pass with trailer" to find the relevant FAQs.
X-2 Even worked on the NY Turnpike.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:00 PM   #5

In NY i have a EP for my truck and car and one for my truck and trailer.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:03 PM   #6

Got my EZ pass through Illinois. Somebody on this site had done extensive research on all the states and Illinois had the best deal. I purchased from their web site, got it in a few days and returned it several months later when I was done with it. They returned the money left in my account and the fee they had charged me for the pass.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #7

In Maine we only need one as the booths read the number of axles crossing. We have been to NY NJ IL PA DE etc and no one has screeched about the trailer not having its own Pass

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #8

Move West...i've not seen a "toll road" in the last 20 years

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #9

well said!
CamperStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:08 PM   #10

Just be sure to move further west than TX and CO; they have toll roads.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Just be sure to move further west than TX and CO; they have toll roads.

I've have run into a toll road only when heading the airport...I try to avoid the airport when towing

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:28 PM   #12

We were driving our RV with a tow, stopped in Indiana and picked up an EZ-Pass. We purchased the EZ-pass at a Walgreens in Elkhart, IN, for $25.00. We went on line and registered the pass. We charged the pass with $85.00 and drove through IN, OH, PA, NY, MA, back to NY, NJ, PA, VA and even TX with no problems with the EZ-Pass. We had to pay for the RV and our tow. We did go through the $85.00 and we had to put another $25.00 just to cover us until we were out of toll road country. All and all, our tolls amounted to just over $80.00.

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9
LaMigra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #13

When we lived in NJ and towed our Hybrid TT, we had NJ EZ-Pass. The first time I towed the Hybrid I was on the Garden State Parkway. At the first toll plaza I came to, I saw signs saying if towing, use Cash lanes. So I did. the attendant told me I had EZ-Pass and waved me through. Always went through the EZ-Pass lanes after that. I never told EZ-Pass we were towing and never had a problem. I always checked the statement and we were always properly charged. Towed through NJ, PA, DE and MD.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #14

I have to admit, I read on line that we needed two EZ-Passes, one for our Rig and one for the tow. I called EZ-Pass and was told no. Just go through the EZ-Pass lane, the system was set up to count the number of tires and we would be charged accordingly. I checked the charges and found no issues. As much as I hate paying tolls, this was very easy.

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9
LaMigra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:47 AM   #15

I have a PA EZ Pass for my expedition. When I am not towing the trailer, the correct tolls are charged. When I am hooked up to the trailer, again, the correct tolls are charged. Never had any issues. Seems the toll booths are smart enough to figure out whether you are towing the trailer or not..

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #16

I have three vehicles and two trailers. I have one PA Ezee pass that works for any vehicle and any combination of tow vehicle and trailer. You just have to list all the license plates numbers on the Ezee pass website. I've done this for over 15 years with no issues.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:54 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
I have three vehicles and two trailers. I have one PA Ezee pass that works for any vehicle and any combination of tow vehicle and trailer. You just have to list all the license plates numbers on the Ezee pass website. I've done this for over 15 years with no issues.
Do you have to list your trailer plates also? I've never added my trailers and it has worked so far.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #18

We have used EZ pass in New Hampshire, Maine, Massachuetts and soon to be CT for years and have not had any issues with the truck and camper through the EZ pass lanes. the camper truck, suv and utility trailer are all registered with EZ pass through Massachuetts.

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:47 AM   #19

To answer a question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperStu View Post
silly question but i am finding it hard to select the right EZ pass ..
i traveled to NY ,Vermont and New hampshire this summer noted they are getting rid of the pay tolls just ez pass now - problem is i spoke to someone at one of the stops on the interstate , i explained i had a truck and trailer and i purchased what they suggested .
when i go home i noted it was only for a vehicle not a vehicle and a trailer

i tried to sign up on line it is confusing what do i need to do to get a proper pass for a GMC pickup truck pulling a Jayco feather light two axle ( 4 tires)- this is 8 tires in total when i am traveling ..

do i need two passes one for when i am pulling my trailer and one for just when i travel without the trailer

these things should be sold at the Jayco dealerships would make things a lot easier..
I am totally unfamiliar with PA turnpike law, but it must be similar to the ones we have in the Republic of Texas. I pull on tollways with and without a TT, and in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas (Texas Toll Tag, Oklahoma Pike Pass, Kansas Turnpike Pass) it works the same: Tag is electronically registered to your vehicle. The vehicle plate is on file to identify owner/driver. As you pass under the toll collection transmitter, a low res photograph of you and your vehicles front is captured and after counting axles a photo of the rear of the vehicle is captured. The account connected to the tag is billed the appropriate amount, and if you are lucky enough to have registered your tag with reciprocal agencies, a discount is applied.

Now, to answer the question regarding a TT: No, axle count should take care of it. To a point, if you put two toll passes on two vehicles that close you will most likely be billed for 4 axles twice. Cheers!
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Do you have to list your trailer plates also? I've never added my trailers and it has worked so far.
Ezee pass told me to do that.

Tags
ez pass