Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #1

Eagle HT 26.5 RLS

I am seriously thinking about upgrading to this unit. I want a FW and I still want to keep the weight down because I seem to drive long distance and this will help with fuel mileage. Will I be satisfied and want bigger? I hope not! I hope this will be the in-between that will satisfy. Anybody got thoughts on this or have one similar? TV is not a problem for any size I may get.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:38 PM   #2

Depends on how long the trip is for, and how many people. For my wife, myself, and 2 larger dogs, it's almost right. We got the optional rocker recliners, and it's a hassle to stow them in a way that allows you to get around them when the slides are closed. Makes stopping to get something out of the fridge "interesting" until you figure out how to do it, then it is a tight squeeze.....
Chair to dining table spacing is tight, and with the couch not much room to adjust. Usable for 2, hard for 4 unless the other two are younger kids.

For that reason alone, I'd consider going up on size, to about the 27.5. But test drive how things stow before taking my word for it.

If you have more people, then it gets crowded fast. With daughter, son-in-law and a two year old (just visiting), it was pretty claustrophobic when we were inside on a pretty rainy day. Not as bad as a tent, of course, but still....I wouldn't think that using the couch hide-a-bed on an on-going basis would be practical.

We've had several 3-4 week trips in ours, and have been very happy with it overall. But, just a bit more space would be nice....
Old 11-13-2015, 06:38 PM   #3

I saw one today being pulled by a Tundra. I had to ask how he was pulling one with a half ton and the owner said that's what the HT stands for. He said he had 7500lbs dry weight in the 5er. Pretty trailer!!!
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:53 PM   #4

BTW - especially for a 5th, it's not really the weight that hits your milage as it is the frontal area/wind resistance. There's that big front area sticking up above the truck! My worst was 5.5mpg bucking a 25-35 headwind, up to 11.6 mpg on calm days. Averages 10-10.5 for long trips.

And it's not about pulling for the TV - it's about payload capacity. When I was buying, the F-150 (with all the tow/payload options) was the only HT that could handle the bed weight. And mine scales right at max. Still have a huge margin in towing capacity going unused. Pretty doubtful that the Tundra is rated for the added weight of the hitch and the pin weight of the 5th.

All mfg.'s claim "HT Towable". The HT's that can do it are few and specifically equipped to do so.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #5

We have this FW, a 2012 model, and enjoy it greatly. As far as the chairs in the rear of the trailer, you do have to move one when you bring in the slide, but out swivel chairs are plenty light enough to do that without a problem. In fact, wife does it while I'm "running" around the outside getting ready to leave. A person can use the fridge, the stove and the sink in the kitchen area with the slide closed with no problems and the bathroom is full accessible. It's not a FW for more than four people as we got the free-standing table and chairs so only the couch can be used for a bed. Had out granddaughters sleep on the air bed a few times and they didn't complain or want to go out into the tent with their parents and brothers. As far as towing with a 1/2 ton, I can't help you there. We have a GMC 2500HD diesel and tow a boat behind ours so a 1/2 ton wouldn't work for us. The Tundras are very stout but I think you will be a little disappointed in the mileage. With our diesel, we get around 12 mpg pulling the FW, that's what we got when we took a trip to Idaho, Nevada, California(Yosemite and Sequoia) and Utah for about 3,500 miles. Your Tundra will work a bit harder than our GMC so your mileage will probably be less. If you want a FW without having to buy a different tow vehicle, I think this FW will work for you as long as the gross towing weight of the Tundra will take care of it. I don't believe you would have any problem with the hitch weight. I believe the Tundra's capacity might be every bit as high as any other 1/2 ton out there.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
I seem to drive long distance and this will help with fuel mileage. Will I be satisfied and want bigger? .
I went from a 38' FW down to my 30 footer and have been happy with the size. Easier to tow and park, etc. and really don't need more space. However, the fuel mileage is only about 1 mpg better. My rv is the same as what you are thinking about, just kitchen in the back.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:47 AM   #7

Google doesn't give me much official, but it sounds like at best the Tundra payload capacity is not more than 1,600 lbs. 5th will cost you about 1,300 (or more), hitch about 100, leaving you with 200 to split between you, other passengers, and fuel...as long as you have nothing else in the truck (bed liner, running boards, etc., etc.). Check your door sticker for the actual payload capacity. It can tow, but likely can't carry. My Ford is 1,800, and as I noted, we're right on the edge....
Old 11-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
Google doesn't give me much official, but it sounds like at best the Tundra payload capacity is not more than 1,600 lbs. 5th will cost you about 1,300 (or more), hitch about 100, leaving you with 200 to split between you, other passengers, and fuel...as long as you have nothing else in the truck (bed liner, running boards, etc., etc.). Check your door sticker for the actual payload capacity. It can tow, but likely can't carry. My Ford is 1,800, and as I noted, we're right on the edge....
Attached is my Tundra Crew Max door sticker. (Hopefully)
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:40 PM   #9

Thanks to everyone for the very useful information. I'm trying to talk myself out of this FW but it's not working. If I go ahead with this plan I will not use the Tundra because I take lots of extras, I don't travel light. I have an F350 7.3 diesel dually that usually sits hooked to the horse trailer. I will just use it, it gets 11 mpg loaded or empty.