Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #1

Eagle HT Bathroom Fan Question

I have an ‘18 30.5 MBOK. I’m told that the vent fan in the bathroom is a new design. This is my first RV, so I have no point of reference— is this fan good quality?

I see lots of posts about replacing crappy fans with MaxxAir vents. My dealer said that on my rig the vent is too close to the second AC to put a MaxxAir on anyway, but I'm just curious how this fan rates.

Also, lately the fan is intermittent or won't turn on at all. Then later it will. Is there a thermal cutout that may be triggering in the hot sun?

Thanks
Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire View Post
I have an ‘18 30.5 MBOK. I’m told that the vent fan in the bathroom is a new design. This is my first RV, so I have no point of reference— is this fan good quality?
If it is the same vent fan I have in my 2017 HT, the answer is no.

Quote:
Also, lately the fan is intermittent or won't turn on at all. Then later it will. Is there a thermal cutout that may be triggering in the hot sun?
Not to my knowledge.

My fan broke the first year - the push-button on/off switch stopped working. Replaced the switch myself rather than go through the hassle of taking it to the dealer under warranty.

Next time something goes wrong with it I'll upgrade to a better quality fan.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:47 PM   #3

Yep if same fan as mine it was a bad one. Noisy, didn't move much air, plastic got brittle after only a year. The switch on mine broke too. Replaced it with a Maxx. The std Maxx fan fit just fine. The bigger one with automatic everything might not but it would pay for you to check yourself. My AC is in front of the vent so just about any vent replacement will fit.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #4

I think my dealer actually meant that a MaxxAir vent “cover” wouldn’t work. Those things are bigger and he was implying it would block air the the forward AC since they are so close to each other. It looks like a low profile MaxxAir would work fine there.

I didn’t understand him at the time because I was asking for “vent covers” and I meant the mesh screens to keep bugs out of the various ports and he thought I meant the MaxxAir vent cover.

In any case, the fan makes a lot of noise and doesn’t seem like it’s moving much air... and now seems fickle when I turn it on. Sometimes it responds, sometimes it doesn’t.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:41 PM   #5

Yep, same way mine failed. FWIW, it took me about two hours one morning to change mine out myself. A sharp utility knife, eternabond (self leveling), screwdriver (electric is better).
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:06 PM   #6

The fact that the switch is on the fan is a problem to reach. The fan does move a lot of air. The blades were rubbing the frame when I picked up trailer - after some prodding on the frame it got quiet.

I would like to find a wireless switch.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #7

I think they corrected this by 2018 model but in 2016 the manufacturer of these fans had a bad batch - seems they forgot to buy plastic with a UV inhibitor to make the tops out of - not good when the plastic is on the roof. So, I assume everyone with this batch had to have them replaced (under warranty) within a year. They failed right and left. There is a long tread on the forums about it somewhere.

Other than that and all the other stuff mentioned above (switch, low air movement, etc.) the fans are fine :-).

In defense of Jayco and the fan manufacturer - these fans were not designed to move a lot of air - they were designed as a bathroom vent that could be opened in the rain. If you consider that as their primary use (and not ventilating the entire RV) then they do fine except for the high noise level and crappy swtich LOL.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #8

I just looked up on the Jayco website that it is a Fantastic Fan EZ-Breeze. It moves 350 cubic feet per minute versus the Maxxfan Deluxe which moves 900.

So in terms of using it for ventilating the “whole camper”, an upgrade should be worthwhile.

The only thing really wrong with mine is that the switch seems temperamental.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:01 PM   #9

Quote:

The only thing really wrong with mine is that the switch seems temperamental.
I replaced my defective switch with one of these from Amazon. A five minute job.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I replaced my defective switch with one of these from Amazon. A five minute job.

Awesome, thanks!
Old 07-31-2018, 02:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas111 View Post
The fact that the switch is on the fan is a problem to reach. The fan does move a lot of air. The blades were rubbing the frame when I picked up trailer - after some prodding on the frame it got quiet.

I would like to find a wireless switch.
Agree with all of this. Moves a lot of air, and it quit making all the rattling after I fiddled with it for a few minutes.
Razoredge178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:47 PM   #12

Biggest problem with old style fan, when the fins break they leak.Maybe flood the bath room, sorry excuse from the manufacture!Pretty norm for the RV Industry once they have your money who cares? Garbage
Attached Thumbnails
Bath Vent.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:02 PM   #13

Crap fan. I will be replacing my switch before our next outing. It works intermittently and is loud. Whatever fan they had used in our 2015 Eagle TT was a good one and moved lots more air. I should have taken it when our TT was totaled had I known this new was going to be crappy.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:45 PM   #14

I agree the fan is pretty crappy. Mine is really noisy for the amount of air it moves. Jayco did put a wall switch in the bathroom for my fan and a separate light switch. Otherwise I probably would have switch trouble. I liked the Maxx Air fan and cover in my old 2010 Eagle Super Lite much better. Be happy that's all the trouble you've had. I had two water leaks on plumbing fittings one on the kitchen faucet (not tightened) and the other on the water heater.(installed incorrectly from the factory)
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote