Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #1

Eastward Bound, Nova Scotia then Grand Manan Island

DW and I are planning the last leg of our upcoming Summer Vacation. We'll have our 16 year old Daughter with us so we really want to set her up with some good memories before she tires of our company :-(

So far we have booked 6 Night stops at each of Murphy's Camping on the Ocean | Nova Scotia and Seabreeze Campground and Cottages near Canso/Cape Breton where we visit family

For our third week we are thinking about taking the ferry over to Grand Manan Island for a few nights and are looking at staying at either The Anchorage Provincial Park | Tourism New Brunswick or Hole in the Wall Park & Campground where they boast waking up to the Whales. Problem is I read that there is a Fog Horn/Light House located on the campground which could cause a few sleepless nights and would possibly be a deciding factor. But we do like the trade off of perhaps seeing and hearing whales from the cliffs looking over the Atlantic.

Just wondering if any other campers have ventured out this way and might have some recommendations I could use to Plot my course.

Thanks in advance
Wayne
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:34 PM   #2

I'll be paying attention to this thread. I've been around Nova Scotia the Cabot trail on my motorcycle and really want to do that trip with the TT. I hope you post a report on your trip. Have fun!
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #3

Often, fog horns are directed out over the water, which may help. We carry with us, one of these electronic sound machines to help with sleeping where there might be traffic noise or what have you.
When in NB, maybe check out the Hopewell Rocks?
And of course, the 40 foot tides of the Bay of Fundy!
Take a shovel and dig some clams at low tide. (do they still allow that?)
Old 04-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger View Post
I'll be paying attention to this thread. I've been around Nova Scotia the Cabot trail on my motorcycle and really want to do that trip with the TT. I hope you post a report on your trip. Have fun!
I'll be sure to report back. We're not heading out until July/Aug. We usually go out every 2 or three years.

David472, LOL Ya I agree but here is the review I had read.

Most beautiful campground anywhere that we can't stay at - Review of Hole-in-the-Wall Park & Campground, Grand Manan - TripAdvisor
In Particular it is what the reviewer states " often at 2 AM while you are sound sleep. That foghorn emits a frequency that is hard to describe. It may be the infamous "Brown note" you've heard so much about. Whatever frequency it is, I'm sure it was devised by the devil himself in a lab somewhere and it cuts through Earth and fire and water and flesh and rock. We have tried to stay there on two separate occasions and both times we have lost several nights of sleep due to that foghorn."
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #5

The CG website link says whales may wake you in the night. So, now I'm wondering, is the noise a fog horn or the whales?