Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2022, 08:52 AM   #1

ECHO Wireless Brake Controller-Help Please

Forgive me if this is a topic has been listed before. I am new to RV’ing and your forum.

I have a 184bs SLX7 trailer and am using the Echo wireless brake system, and having issues dialing it in. I have watched the videos multiple times and follow the protocol to a tee but still must be missing something.

The brakes come on fully whenever I touch the brake pedal. I can’t get the gradual application that is supposed to occur. What am I not doing correctly?

Is anyone familiar with this system? Maybe talk me thru the setup?
Thanks so much.
frank d.
FrankieSaysRelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:40 PM   #2

Some trucks, Ford, Chev, Toyota require you have the tow haul mode activated, else it won't work
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 07:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
Some trucks, Ford, Chev, Toyota require you have the tow haul mode activated, else it won't work
I’m towing with a Hyundai Palisade and the requirement is that the receiving unit is connected to your phone via wi-fi. Thank you for responding.
frank
Old 02-11-2022, 09:18 AM   #4

Is this the unit where you plug the transciver device into your trailer plug and your trailer harness plugs into it? My brother tried one of those with mixed results on his jeep and ended up hardwiring a brake controller. With his, he had to turn on the tow mode and leave it on in order for it to work. He had constant problems with brakes grabbing and locking up etc..
Old 02-11-2022, 09:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Is this the unit where you plug the transciver device into your trailer plug and your trailer harness plugs into it?… … He had constant problems with brakes grabbing and locking up etc..
That is exactly the problem I am having. Brakes grabbing and locking up! ECHO says I am not setting up the device correctly. I must be doing something wrong but haven’t figured it out yet. I have to say, in all fairness, when the unit works correctly it is absolutely seamless. When we picked up the trailer from the dealer and drove home it worked perfectly. But every time after that I have had grabbing and locked up braking as the norm. I don’t get it. Thank you for your reply.
frank
Old 02-11-2022, 10:50 AM   #6

if you can, i would return it and go with a hard wired unit. They aren't that difficult to instal. You should only have to run one wire from the brake unit to the back hitch. When we did my brothers, we actually found factory holes in the frame and fished the wire through the frame. Was very easy. Hard wired controller is much more reliable. and dependable. I dont think bluetooth is very reelable. i run into issues now and then trying to control my trailers control panel via bluetooth.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
if you can, i would return it and go with a hard wired unit. They aren't that difficult to instal. You should only have to run one wire from the brake unit to the back hitch. When we did my brothers, we actually found factory holes in the frame and fished the wire through the frame. Was very easy. Hard wired controller is much more reliable. and dependable. I dont think bluetooth is very reelable. i run into issues now and then trying to control my trailers control panel via bluetooth.
Thank you, kirkelli. I may well have to look into a braking unit hard wired into my vehicle. My wife and I were very disheartened by the end of last season.