Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #1

Electric Jack Question

So when looking at new Jaycos it is apparent they are now putting electric jacks on most models of which I am not a big fan. With my current manual jack I crank the truck up a bit with the jack after the ball is locked in to help make the weight distribution bars easier to hook up. With an electric jack can you still do that or will it hurt the jack?
Old 10-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #2

The electric jacks have the capacity to lift the truck as you describe. I did that for several years.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:12 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

The power jacks have 3500lbs capacity. I am sure it will lift a truck.

I am like you I hate power jacks. Just do what I do. Replace it with a manual jack. It is a 20 minute swap out and sell the electric on ebay.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:33 AM   #4

I have used my power jack to lift the truck and camper once connected to get the WD on easier and have not had any problems. Granted, I've only done this a couple of times so far, but the jack easily lifts both.
Mhoward324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:59 AM   #5

Thanks guys! I always wondered about that. If I get another camper that has one I might just change it out eventually.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
Thanks guys! I always wondered about that. If I get another camper that has one I might just change it out eventually.
simple job. They usually come in a package with the power awning as well.

I hate both. Manual is as quick and always works
Old 10-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
simple job. They usually come in a package with the power awning as well.

I hate both. Manual is as quick and always works
I am not a fan of the power awning either and the tech at the Jayco dealer I have been talking to said he doesn't like them as they are way to expensive to work on for what they are. I really don't like the fact they cant be tipped down as much or secured as well as a manual awning.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #8

I disagree with the power-jack-hating. I love mine, even though it's the cheap crappy no-name brand one they stuck on there, it still works well and lifts my truck to make the bars easier to put on.

The worst thing about it is that the motor is susceptible to water intrusion. I use a trash can on top to protect it that also holds my power cord and chains, so I don't worry about it anymore. But when it craps out and dies, I'll replace it with this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0063ZBXZC/...I3O335NMUDX8B7

If the power on the jack ever fails for whatever reason, I can still manually crank it. But as long as it works, I'm going to use the crap out of it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #9

Obviously those that hate the electric tongue jacks have never had to do jack a trailer with a heavy tongue wait up 2 or 3 times in a row. Crank it up to take the WD bars off. Let it back down to let the ball loose. Crank it up to get out from under it, then let it back down only to realize you have too many or too few blocks under the jack so you have to jack it back up and get back under with the vehicle to repeat the process. I'll keep my electric jack thank you on a 90 degree day and my 1400 lb of tongue weight.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

use to work at a dockyard back in the day and had to shunt trucks all around the yard...cranked a lot more weight than 1400lbs... we didn't have one of those fancy trucks with a hydraulic 5th wheel plate.

nothing wrong with a little work out while camping since there is no gym
Old 10-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwstewar View Post
Obviously those that hate the electric tongue jacks have never had to do jack a trailer with a heavy tongue wait up 2 or 3 times in a row. Crank it up to take the WD bars off. Let it back down to let the ball loose. Crank it up to get out from under it, then let it back down only to realize you have too many or too few blocks under the jack so you have to jack it back up and get back under with the vehicle to repeat the process. I'll keep my electric jack thank you on a 90 degree day and my 1400 lb of tongue weight.
That's for sure, very well said. I'll take the electric jack any day over the old crank.

All I can say to those that hate the electric jack, is just keep on cranking, cranking and cranking and cranking!
Old 10-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
So when looking at new Jaycos it is apparent they are now putting electric jacks on most models of which I am not a big fan. With my current manual jack I crank the truck up a bit with the jack after the ball is locked in to help make the weight distribution bars easier to hook up. With an electric jack can you still do that or will it hurt the jack?
I have been lifting the trailer and truck to engage/disengage the WD system now for 6 years, dating back to my previous TT with my Barker 3000 power tongue jack. So yes they can do that, and very well. I would not go back to a manual jack. I get enough of a workout at work everyday!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwstewar View Post
Psh, 90 degrees is cool down here. Try jacking the trailer manually in the sun when it's 110 and 80% humidity, you'll change your tune right quick. And I COULD use the workout!

Recently I parked my trailer, jacked up, got the bars off, let down, unhooked the hitch, jacked up to get out from under, leveled front to back. Then realized I wasn't level side to side, had to jack back up, hook back up, pull the trailer onto some leveling blocks, jack back up to get unhooked, then level front to back again. I 'bout wore my electric jack out that day, if I had to crank all that manually, they would have asked me to leave for the foul language!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #14

I certainly don't have the strength or endurance I used to have when I was younger and it was one of those miserably hot days that convinced me to buy an electric jack. If my TT had a two-speed manual jack that semi and some utility trailers have, that might have made the task a little easier.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #15

Electric Jack Question

To answer the OP question again, yes an electric jack can lift your tv to get the WDH bars on. For me it's not a question if I have the strength to use a manual jack. i have the strength but I'm happy my trailer came with it. If it breaks I have manual backup so no big deal. And if it does break it will be promptly replaced by another electric jack. they cost very little. And anybody who says they can manually setup as quick as someone with electric is crazy... Lol.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #16

I had a manual jack on my last trailer, it was some cranking but didn't bother me too much.. I recently got the electric jack on my new trailer and second time lifting it off the truck it just stopped working, I found the fuse holder off the battery to it and sure enough the 30amp fuse was blown.. I had a multi pack of fuses I took out of my old toy hauler and replaced it but now I'm scared of it.. I will have to do some research on it when I get time, but hunting season isn't the time to be working on stuff...

Dash, Marie & Tazzie ( short for the devil from Tazmania) English bull terrier.
2014 Eagle 316RKDS
2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
When I pass on I want it to be like my grandpa in my sleep... Not like the screaming folks in the car with him..
The Dster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:04 AM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
The power jacks have 3500lbs capacity. I am sure it will lift a truck.

I am like you I hate power jacks. Just do what I do. Replace it with a manual jack. It is a 20 minute swap out and sell the electric on ebay.
My new 2014 Eagle 338 rlts came with a 5000 lb capacity power jack. Why do you hate power jacks and why replace it. If you don't want to use the power feature just pop off the cap and use the crank???
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
My new 2014 Eagle 338 rlts came with a 5000 lb capacity power jack. Why do you hate power jacks and why replace it. If you don't want to use the power feature just pop off the cap and use the crank???
I don't know why the Op doesn't like them but since you quoted me, I prefer manual because of weight,size,price and speed. I can crank my X17A up and down faster than an electric.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #19

Guess I'm just old school and like manual stuff. I have had so much electronic stuff break at bad times. Also If I have to move the camper in the winter and there is no battery in it I have to put the battery back in just to jack it up?

Anyhow it isn't like I hate them I'm just not a fan of them. I will say from what I have heard here it sounds like they last a while so if I buy one with an electric jack I will use it until I have an issue.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #20

Our Jayco Radio/Navigation/back up camera just stopped working. Fuses look good and the only thing that we have done is change out the trailer battery. Not the batter that is with the Ford motor in the front. Any suggestions?
bdill25366 is offline   Reply With Quote