Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2016, 07:34 AM   #1

Electrical Issue

We have a 2015 Eagle Premier 375 BHFS (thus the name!). Recently, we have had an interesting power issue. Mainly, when we use the microwave, the electrical receptacle circuit, everything on plug-ins, goes dead. No circuit breaker is thrown nor are the GFCI's. Basically, if we wait 5-10 minutes, it all comes back on. We are on a 50amp shore power at our residence. We are building and currently live in the 5th Wheel.

This is more annoying than anything else. it definitely seems to be centered on the use of the microwave but we also noticed, with very little usage, in the middle of the night, it pops as well and then comes back on.

We do not have a generator. We have been living in the unit since June with no problems electrically.

Also...we have tried to shut most everything down and then use the micro but this does not effect it...still kills the system. Also......sometimes, randomly, the use of the micro does NOT kill the system.

Any help out there?

Thank you so much.

Patrick
jayco375bhfs-livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #2

Don't have an answer but you need to get it looked at by a professional. This could be dangerous. It sounds like a dead short, but that doesn't explain why the breaker isn't triggered. If this didn't happen until just recently, then something has changed. Never heard of a system going dead [except for on outlet. The microwave is most likely just plugged in to an outlet behind the unit so if it stays hot and everything else goes dark, YOU HAVE A SERIOUS PROBLEM.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #3

When it goes dead, everything on the receptacle circuit goes dead INLCUDING the mirco.....TV's, coffee maker, etc. All die. Then after a while it kicks back on on its own entirely. It is normally TRIGGERED by using the micro but then occasionally in the middle of the night, it just kicks it off.

thanks for the reply.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #4

Welcome to the JOF.

Your microwave(?) issue sounds very odd. Sorry, but there's nothing I can offer to help.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:07 AM   #5

I agree with Bass on this. It sounds like this could be a dangerous problem. Since no breakers are tripping it makes me think that there's a poor connection in a terminal or splice. Is there still A/C service to the coach? Is there any A/C service in the coach when this happens (converter, battery charger, outside plugs and air cond.)?
A few things to check that come to me are:
Check your 50A plug, receptacle and service cable (hot, scorched)
Cut all power to the coach and pull the panel to check the tightness of all A/C wires back there.
Check the wall outlets to see if they are warm to the touch

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
Site Team

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. My first place to check would be all connections in the main breaker panel where the ac wiring terminate. The MW is always on a separate breaker. Verify all wires are tight.
If you don't feel comfortable around power get a competent electrician.
Remove power from the rig before getting in the panel.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #7

electrical

Your model is on the recall list for a funky microwave recall. Not the correct year of manufacture, but neither was mine in a 2014 Seneca. Check the built-on date. Mine was replaced after acting up and was 1 month after the cut-off of manufacture. Just a possibility.
https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-arti...atch-fire.html
2014 JAYCO PINNACLE RECALL FOR EQUIPMENT, RECREATIONAL VEHICLE PROBLEM #14V196000
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #8

When it cuts out, all non-receptacle powered equipment runs fine. Lights are all on, USB charger is on, furnace runs fine. The fridge - which I assume is a plug in and the fireplace, which I assume is also a plug in do shut off.

Nothing looks bad. No warm outlets. Everything looks good. the converter panel light is solid green.

I will check my Electrical Conn at the 50 AMP Socket and at the structure connection.

Anything else???
Old 03-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #9

The lights are probably 12V and getting their juice from the battery, same for the furnace and USB charger. If your fridge is a residential model then yes, it's a plug-in. If it's a trailer type fridge then it has a propane/110V/Auto setting.
This might also be a grounding problem. I believe I recall seeing all of my grounds coming together at a common buss behind the rear wall in the basement (near the back side of the electrical panel).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #10

Are you using any kind of EMS at the power source? The EMS will disconnect the power under certain circumstances and then restore it after a time delay when the circumstance is corrected. A voltage dip is one of the circumstances that will cause this.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Are you using any kind of EMS at the power source? The EMS will disconnect the power under certain circumstances and then restore it after a time delay when the circumstance is corrected. A voltage dip is one of the circumstances that will cause this.
This makes sense... The power that remains on appears to be 12v service.
And power that's lost for a few minutes is 110v service.

An issue at the EMS would explain it

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #12
Site Team

That would be easy enough. My EMS has a indicator panel and should show a trouble code if it shuts power off.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #13

Every camper I have seen the microwave is on its own 20 amp breaker, with no GCF protection. So if all the 120 power dies for 10-15 minutes, I would say it sounds like an issue in the circuit breaker panel. You could pull panel from the cabinet and check all the wire connections, and ensure they are all tight, make sure to do this with the shore power and battery is disconnected. I have heard of loose connections in the panels many times.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #14

My money is on a connection issue, too. If I had to go further in my over-the-internet diagnostic, I'd be looking for a loose neutral somewhere. It could be at a device or in the panel. The heat cycle of the circuit in operation is causing expansion and separation of a contact point, and I'm going to guess it's on the return path rather than the hot side. Just my $0.02. A meter or plug in circuit tester should at least get you started in the right direction by confirming or denying my suspicions.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #15

Electrical Problem Solved!!!!! (Duh!)

Ok....so......after much trembling and gnashing of teeth, and after fearing for my family's life, I have solved the electrical mystery. And I feel pretty stupid.

What was happening was, upon firing up the microwave, the power draw from the service increase substantially. For some reason, the power supply was not able to provided the demanded power and therefore for some reason, the power converter panel would shut of the AC power and convert over to the 12V system. This is why the lights only worked.

After surmising what could be the problem, I went out to the back of the trailer and jiggled my SO Chord connector and......voila.......case solved!

Pretty stupid. We have been having some horrendous winds and what not and I guess maybe the connector loosened just enough to reduce the amount of power able to transfer into the trailer and causing a fault which triggered shore power off and 12V power on.

Anyhow, case is solved and have had NO problems. We have even loaded the trailer with three portable heaters and ran the micro, fireplace, and three of four (who needs four TV's to camp!!!???) TVs with no issues.

Thanks for everyone that chimed in...Now you can look for my new post titled.....My Norcold is Nor-Luke-Warm. Help!!!!

Thanks Again

Patrick