Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #1

EMS takes a dump???

So I'm sitting in the camper having a late lunch and suddenly the power shuts down to the camper. It's hot outside and the AC is getting a pretty good workout. I have a PI portable 30 amp EMS. First thought is the pedestal breaker has tripped, nope. I looked at the EMS display and it shows a PE4 code that means a previous low voltage shutdown. I'm thinking good, the EMS is doing it's job. The directions state if the unit has a PE code, unplug it and it will reset, which it did. I plugged the EMS back in and it showed the following;
PE4 code was gone
121 volts--normal
OA-not sure what this means
60H-not sure what this means
E0-indicating all is good
After waiting about 5 minutes, I plugged the camper back into the EMS and no power whatsoever. I tried this multiple times after waiting about 3 minutes each time. If I plug into the campground 30 amp receptacle all is good. I have noticed that the EMS is very hot just below where the cord plugs in. Any thoughts? I'm gonna call PI in the morning.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
OA-not sure what this means AMPS no Load so 0

60H-not sure what this means HERTZ or 60 CYCLES per Second

E0-indicating all is good

After waiting about 5 minutes, I plugged the camper back into the EMS and no power whatsoever. I tried this multiple times after waiting about 3 minutes each time. If I plug into the campground 30 amp receptacle all is good. I have noticed that the EMS is very hot just below where the cord plugs in. Any thoughts? I'm gonna call PI in the morning.
Isn't there supposed to be a 2 min delay once you plug the camper into the EMS even though it's showing all's good.?
Old 09-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #3

I think the delay has 2 settings selectable by a jumper inside the unit. But yeah, that’s possible.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:47 PM   #4

Yes to Grumpy’s comment 0A is zero amps. If your inside breakers are not tripped then the “out” plug on your EMS may have burned. Double check your inside breakers (especially the main), force it off (completely) then back on.
A breaker will sometimes trip but still look like it’s on and must be pushed to the off position then back on to get it to reset.
If your EMS says zero amps then no power is going to the TT. The next task is to determine where the fault lies.
When I set up my main house breakers and the pedestal breakers are off. After plugging everything in I turn the pedestal on and watch the EMS display. Since the house breakers are off I will see 0A, if the EMS reports 0E (no errors) I switch on the house breakers. My first indication that power is reaching the TT is a beep from the micro.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 09-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #5

The hot spot on the cord of the EMS just below where it plugs in suggests that a wire may have broken and only marginally makes contact with each of the break while still trying to supply the demand of electricity. This will cause it to run hot at that point, possibly even to a point of softening or discoloring the insulation covering it.

It won't necessarily trip a breaker but it could play havoc on an instrument designed to be a catch all for electrical anomalies.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:05 PM   #6

Nother thought. You say the EMS has a hot spot. Is it on the “in” or “out” side of the EMS. “Hot” suggests a corroded wire or plug. The place that’s hot is where I’d look for a problem.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 09-10-2019, 07:06 PM   #7

(Double post)

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 09-10-2019, 07:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Isn't there supposed to be a 2 min delay once you plug the camper into the EMS even though it's showing all's good.?
Yes there is a 2 minute delay before plugging into the unit. I waited at least 3 minutes each time I tried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateboy View Post
The hot spot on the cord of the EMS just below where it plugs in suggests that a wire may have broken and only marginally makes contact with each of the break while still trying to supply the demand of electricity. This will cause it to run hot at that point, possibly even to a point of softening or discoloring the insulation covering it.

It won't necessarily trip a breaker but it could play havoc on an instrument designed to be a catch all for electrical anomalies.
The unit cord while plugged into the pedestal was not hot. My camper cord which plugs into the center of the unit was not hot. The unit itself was hot just below where my camper cord plugs in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Nother thought. You say the EMS has a hot spot. Is it on the “in” or “out” side of the EMS. “Hot” suggests a corroded wire or plug. The place that’s hot is where I’d look for a problem.
Neither cord was hot at all. It was the box of the unit just below center that was hot. When I plugged back into the unit after the reset I heard an audible "click" and no power after that.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #9

Did you try the EMS again after a cool down period of say one or two hours? Heat can be a factor. However, even if it worked again, I'd still contact PI and get their take on it. I've read nothing but great things about them and their customer service on the forum.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #10

Neither cord was hot at all. It was the box of the unit just below center that was hot. When I plugged back into the unit after the reset I heard an audible "click" and no power after that.[/QUOTE]

Ok, sounds for sure like something inside has fried. The click could be an internal breaker or relay. The call to PI sounds like the path. I’d be hesitant to open the box to look around due to warranty issues. I’ve read posts where PI really stepped up and provided great service so I’d be inclined to take that route.

Let us know what you hear.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 09-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateboy View Post
Did you try the EMS again after a cool down period of say one or two hours? Heat can be a factor. However, even if it worked again, I'd still contact PI and get their take on it. I've read nothing but great things about them and their customer service on the forum.
I unplugged it about 4 hours ago and haven't tried it again. I'm thinking since the unit is getting hot there may be a problem with it. I have friends with the same unit and they've been plugged in for weeks at a time and their's doesn't get hot like mine. The unit is about 5 years old and I noticed this "hot" problem started late last year but the unit functioned normally until now. Hopefully PI will replace the unit after I speak to them or at least I'll ship the unit to them for repair. No matter what happens, I still think they're great products and will purchase another if needed.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Let us know what you hear.
I will keep everyone posted on what PI does with the situation.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #13

Quote:
I unplugged it about 4 hours ago and haven't tried it again. I'm thinking since the unit is getting hot there may be a problem with it. I have friends with the same unit and they've been plugged in for weeks at a time and their's doesn't get hot like mine. The unit is about 5 years old and I noticed this "hot" problem started late last year but the unit functioned normally until now. Hopefully PI will replace the unit after I speak to them or at least I'll ship the unit to them for repair. No matter what happens, I still think they're great products and will purchase another if needed.
Interesting - my PI 30amp portable is also about 5 years old and I just noticed last week that it's getting hot in the exact same spot that yours is, though mine is still working. I went ahead and bought a new one though as we are out for the next 8-10 days and I didn't want to chance having it die while we were gone. I'll be interested to hear what happens here as it sounds like mine might be headed in the same direction. For reference, I do keep mine plugged in all the time at the house, so it's been in almost continuous use for the 5 years. Definitely save us a few times though.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #14

Update. Talked to Progressive this morning and relayed the problem with the unit. He had me plug the unit back in and wait the 2 min., 16 second interval for start up. The click I heard yesterday is normal. It's what the unit does after the wait period expires and then the unit is ready to supply power. He also stated that the unit getting hot is normal as well because there's a relay in there that heats up to around 120*. At this point the display was showing all normal codes with voltage at 122. He asked me if I had a volt meter which I did and take output voltage from the unit which was showing only 109 volts while the meter showed 122. He said yep we have a problem and said the unit itself had thrown the low voltage code even though there was no low voltage present. From that point he told me to go to the website and file a warranty claim and they will send me a new unit. Great customer service so far and I'm not sure at this point if I have to send my old unit back but I'm expecting I'll probably have to do that.

Note to all campers: Get a volt meter and learn how to use it. It's an incredibly valuable tool to have on hand.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #15

That’s good news. PI has a reputation for great customer service.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 09-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Update. Talked to Progressive this morning and relayed the problem with the unit. He had me plug the unit back in and wait the 2 min., 16 second interval for start up. The click I heard yesterday is normal. It's what the unit does after the wait period expires and then the unit is ready to supply power. He also stated that the unit getting hot is normal as well because there's a relay in there that heats up to around 120*. At this point the display was showing all normal codes with voltage at 122. He asked me if I had a volt meter which I did and take output voltage from the unit which was showing only 109 volts while the meter showed 122. He said yep we have a problem and said the unit itself had thrown the low voltage code even though there was no low voltage present. From that point he told me to go to the website and file a warranty claim and they will send me a new unit. Great customer service so far and I'm not sure at this point if I have to send my old unit back but I'm expecting I'll probably have to do that.

Note to all campers: Get a volt meter and learn how to use it. It's an incredibly valuable tool to have on hand.
Thanks for your update. Our TT was plugged in yesterday to cool down the fridge for an upcoming trip. I went outside and felt the area on the box, that you described, and ours is pretty warm there, too. It's not showing any codes, but I'll check the voltage out, and keep an eye on it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #17

Just a thought: If you get to keep the old unit remove the plug before tossing it out. The plugs seem to get burned after awhile from bad pedestal connections. The plugs are easy to change.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #18

Progressive Industries has a lifetime warranty on that unit. Call them. They will ask for photos of the unit and will not require you to return it.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
Just a thought: If you get to keep the old unit remove the plug before tossing it out. The plugs seem to get burned after awhile from bad pedestal connections. The plugs are easy to change.
The plug on the unit is showing no signs of pitting, arching etc. Still very clean but it may be worth a try to have a second backup unit, thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
Progressive Industries has a lifetime warranty on that unit. Call them. They will ask for photos of the unit and will not require you to return it.
Yes and thank you. I filled out the warranty claim and sent the necessary information with pics and am awaiting word from Progressive. Don't have to return the unit to Progressive. I did find out however that the PI EMS is no longer made in America since PI was bought out by another company.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #20

Quote:
I did find out however that the PI EMS is no longer made in America since PI was bought out by another company.
The company that bought them out is headquartered in Wisconsin. Same company that owns Marinco and several other RV & Marine Electrical accessories, Park Power Products..