Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2015, 07:47 PM   #1

Equalizer Sway Brackets

These look bent to me. Any ideas. They seem tight.

BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #2

Have you tried loosening the top bolt a little and tightening the lower bolt?

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #3

Mine are bent also (but a little different than yours) so I contacted the factory about them. I sent them pictures to look at. They responded and said mine were ok to use. I have to give them credit, they were very helpful. Might try contacting Equalizer yourself?
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #4

I have not tried that. To be honest I didn't think about it. I will need to get. A torque wrench for that job and see if I can find the correct values for that. I also believe that the drivers side has move to the rear. To day I need to drain the water lines to be prepared for next week. We are leaving the trailer setup on site at the camping club we belong to. Place is dead. So we kind of have it to yourselves. It is great. Next weekend will be to relax and do that nasty deed called winterizing.
BillMc
BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:38 AM   #5

Here's the owners manual for the 6K - 14K hitches. See page 14 for what may be your condition, and page 22 for torque values.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/EQOwnersManual.pdf

Pawpaw

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:32 AM   #6

I see quite a bit of wear on the leading edge of your L-brackets from friction against the spring bars. That tells me your bars are not horizontal and parallel with the trailer frame. IMO, you need to raise the hitch head a notch or two, then tilt the head back more to regain the tension on the bars. You may also need to lower the L-brackets one notch. Those adjustments will cut down on the bracket wear and on the forces that are bending the brackets - or some combination of the two. Simple physics. (And some knowledge from changing my Equal-i-zer to fit my Jayco from my Outback.) The beauty of the Equal-i-zer is the ease of setup and adjustment. Find a level spot to hook up, take your time, and get it set up correctly. You will like the improvements!

My Jayco dealer had mine set up wrong and I had to adjust it myself. Installation and setup instructions are found in the manual, which you can download and print out from the link that pawpaw provided. Those instructions will show you that the spring bars should be parallel to the trailer tongue frame.

A also use the Sway Bracket Jackets. They quiet a lot of the noise from the hitch and they become the wear item, instead of the metal bracket.

Just my opinion.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMc40 View Post
I have not tried that. To be honest I didn't think about it. I will need to get. A torque wrench for that job and see if I can find the correct values for that. I also believe that the drivers side has move to the rear. To day I need to drain the water lines to be prepared for next week. We are leaving the trailer setup on site at the camping club we belong to. Place is dead. So we kind of have it to yourselves. It is great. Next weekend will be to relax and do that nasty deed called winterizing.
BillMc
You can use the Autozone Loan-a-tool program if you don't want to buy a torque wrench.