Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #21

I spend all day today getting to know the trailer. Washed the outside and cleaned the inside a bit but it didn't need much. Checked to make sure all systems were operational including me knowing how to do it. The A/C is cold and the hot water is hot. The only issues I have with it are tires, they are 7 years old and have to go and it seems that the battery isn't holding a charge very long. It may need replacing too. If you're interested, I've posted some photos on my web site www.traynorphoto.com Check under the misc photos tab.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

Dennis
wayfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #22

We have most of the same stuff as the others, I only saw it mentioned once but we also carry a 25' 30 amp extension cord and we use it quite a lot. We have lynx blocks for the tires and we also have a set of notched out plywood to form an "X" and place another piece over top to put under our jacks when the jacks have trouble reaching the ground.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #23

We have been RVing for close to 7 years now.

We found some plastic dish holders that screw to the shelves which work very well for keeping the dishes from sliding around and breaking. Nothing broken in over a year since buying them and we have glass dishes. We live in the trailer for a month or two at a time and eating from paper plates all the time would not seem at all like home.

We have a 25' and a 10' hose we bought when the 25 footer would not reach. Have not found a place yet where that combo didn't work. Get a pressure reducer for the inlet. I also carry a 50 foot garden hose with a spray nozzle and a y-fitting for the supply end. This gives me something to wash all the mud off the blocks, sewer hoses etc, without using the water supply hoses. We use a 20 foot sewer hose with a collapsible ramp. We have an extra 25' 30 amp chord which we have needed a couple of times. We have a 20-amp to 30 amp adapter that has been used several times. We bought a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter that we have never used.

We like the Lynx Leveler blocks and have 2 packages. (22 total) They are light and easy to store. We use them under the wheels and under stabilizer jacks when needed. We have at times used them all, but never needed more than we have. I also have a set of 4 of the aluminum stacking jack stands which are great to put near the wheels to keep the trailer from rocking. I use them whenever we are staying put for a week or more or when I need to take a wheel off. We have a 5 ton hydraulic bottle jack and 4 plastic wheel chocks. The only wood blocking I use is under the tongue jack.

We keep a grease gun for the hitch ball and load bars. Plastic bags for the ends of the load bars when stored. A can of waterless hand cleaner and rags to clean up with.

One last thing that we always use is a Polypropylene patio mat. It helps a lot in keeping dirt out of the camper. If it is muddy when we pack up, the mat just goes in the bed of the truck and we hose it off at home.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfun View Post
I spend all day today getting to know the trailer. Washed the outside and cleaned the inside a bit but it didn't need much. Checked to make sure all systems were operational including me knowing how to do it. The A/C is cold and the hot water is hot. The only issues I have with it are tires, they are 7 years old and have to go and it seems that the battery isn't holding a charge very long. It may need replacing too. If you're interested, I've posted some photos on my web site www.traynorphoto.com Check under the misc photos tab.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

Dennis
Beautiful pics! Looks like you got a real winner.... Probably know this already: when deploying your awning, move your adjustable struts all the way to the end of the awning and lock 'em in place, then tighten the knobs..... keeps the awning fairly tight, and makes it easy to put the awning in carport mode. I also just saw (at Wallyworld) clips to keep your awning from flapping. I might have to pick those up. As I asked before.... what kind of suspension do you run in the Tahoe? KB
Old 06-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Grandpa View Post
I had never thought of this, but when picking up our new 32TSBH last month, the technician doing the walkaround suggested carrying wood blocks, but said be sure to glue or nail a rubber matting onto some of them. Use these as the ones actually touching the tongue jack and stabilizers. He said this ensures the electronics in your trailer don't get fried if lightning strikes anywhere close to your rig. This breaks ground contact and insulates your electronics. Cheaper than replacing all your appliances and tv.
Is this really true?...makes sense but never thought about it.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #26

Hi Krakeer,
This is absolutely not true and if this is a quote from service technician, I would refrain from having him work on my RV. Your trailer is ground through the ground connection. This is then connected to ground rods or underground metal piping to ensure the there is no or very little potential difference between the trailer and the ground you stand on. When lighting travels through the air is produces an electrical field that expand and contracts across electrical conductors that are in close proximity to the lightning. This expansion and contraction of the electrical field generates voltage in the conductors and is usually at extremely hi amplitude or voltage....this is what damages sensitive electronics and can even weaken the insulation in motor windings. Your best bet is to install a surge suppressor or which will prevent damage from not only surges like lightning but undervoltage, open neutrals, over currents and more issues. If you simply want to protect against surges you can install 120 volt MOV's across live to neutral, neutral to ground and live to ground. MOV's are cheap and will clip voltage higher than 120 thereby protecting circuits down stream.

Regards,

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
Is this really true?...makes sense but never thought about it.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Raugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #27

Don't forget to bring along an axe, and I have a little folding shovel too.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Old 06-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #28

We're out today on our maiden voyage with the trailer. Man it takes a lot of time to load the thing with everything you think you may need. Forgot my razor. We pulled it about 25 miles to a local private campground. Everything set up and worked as planned. Attached is a photo of our first site.

Dennis
Click image for larger version

Name:	camp1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	8417
wayfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #29

That's looking good, Jayflight seems to be the most popular trailer around here.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Old 06-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbarrentine View Post
Beautiful pics! Looks like you got a real winner.... Probably know this already: when deploying your awning, move your adjustable struts all the way to the end of the awning and lock 'em in place, then tighten the knobs..... keeps the awning fairly tight, and makes it easy to put the awning in carport mode. I also just saw (at Wallyworld) clips to keep your awning from flapping. I might have to pick those up. As I asked before.... what kind of suspension do you run in the Tahoe? KB
Nice looking campsite!