Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2022, 08:03 PM   #1

Post Essential tool list

Anyone have an essential tools list they mind sharing?
Bama1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 08:31 PM   #2

I don't have a "list" but here are a few I carry.
Tire iron and breaker bar with socket.
Extendable bar and socket for Andersen Hitch.

Screwdrivers, starz driver, pliers, wire cutters, small assortment of sockets.
Battery drill for stab jacks and socket plus small assortment of bits.

Jack and handle.
Credit card and a willingness to borrow anything if I can't buy it.
And a offer to help/loan to anyone who needs it.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:27 PM   #3

The list will really depend on your DIY confidence level. Not everyone should have a PEX crimping tool. I can't think of anything you use at home that isn't potentially useful on the road.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:20 AM   #4

If you stop and think, there aren't too many fasteners in an rv coach that require a socket set or a set of large wrenches. Probably 3/4 of the fasteners you'll see are the square Roberts head screws, #2.
So, a small tool kit if you must, but make sure it includes a multi bit screw driver with a #2 Roberts head bit.
A good quality pair of pliers, vice grips, needle nose pliers, wire stripper.
An assortment of spare fuses for your 12 volt power panel/breaker box.
A roll of duct tape, but even better and stronger is a roll of Gorilla Tape...super strong...once used some to tape a mirror head on my previous class c that a semi had hit. Lasted over 5000 miles till we got home.
Roll of "bailing wire". Small assortment of electric wire...18/16/14/12 gauge.
Assortment of wire ties, including some 18-24 inch...if you ever have to last two items togather you'll be happy to have them. 2 smaller ratcheting tie down straps...there small, cheap, and can also be used to lash something down.
Small assortment of wood/sheet metal screws, self tapping. I carry #10 self tapping lath screws. Small assortment of smaller machine screws/nuts/washers.
A few small pieces of 1/8 and 3/16 inch dowels and wood glue...to repair enlarged holes in wood so you can reuse the same attachment point/hole.
I carry an 8 ton bottle jack and an axle saddle (Safe Jack) and a piece of 12 inch x 12 inch ply for a base. A few cheapie 6x8 tarps.
And I carry a Kobalt 1/2 inch drive battery impact wrench...over kill for the stabilizer jacks, but the same socket for the jacks also fits the trailer wheel lugs and the wheel lugs on my Ford pick up.
ViAir 300 compressor, tire plug kit.
Throw in a few pex "gator or shark bite" repair fittings, a few hose washers, a few sizes of hose clamps. Roll of teflon sealing tape.
With the exception of the jack and wrench, everything will fit in a small tool box
2022 Jayco Jay Feather 24RL
Grumpaw374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:37 AM   #5

I think a tool list will vary depending on a number of factors like how you use your RV, your skill level, the age of your RV (to some extent) and how much storage you have to dedicate to tools.

We keep our RV mostly parked at an RV park for extended time (months at a time) so I don't keep a bottle jack and tire iron in the camper. Also even though we have a 38' bumper pull it doesn't have a lot of storage for tools so I'm limited to what I can store. Also I'm in town and only about 10 minutes from a huge Ace Hardware so I don't keep a lot of things like PEX hose and fittings in the RV.

I do keep a tool set that has wrenches, sockets, pliers, screwdrivers and some tips for my drill gun. I also always carry cordless drill, impact driver and sawzall with me anytime I'm going to the RV. I keep a tape measure, 24" level, sewer cap wrench, 5 mil nitrile gloves, spare fuses, duct tape, zip ties for starters.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:58 AM   #6

You should have a multimeter and a non contact voltmeter. If you don't know how to use them get Mike Solkove's book on No shock zone. It's on Amazon
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:09 PM   #7

Thanks all. Have most of the items mentioned and pretty mechanically inclined.
Bama1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 09:48 PM   #8

I carry this one. https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-3...a-524626564973
2020 Ram 2500 Cummins
FMCA F480691
Texaspsdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:04 PM   #9

I always carry a rechargeable drill and small assortment of drill bits.

Just this past weekend the guy next to me pulled his hitched trailer in, then realized he left the key to the hitch padlock at home. I handed him my drill and 2 minutes later he had the core drilled out and could unhitch.
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:51 PM   #10
CAG

The more sxxx you have the more grief you have. That was a quote from an old friend. A very basic socket set, some adjustable wrenches, and a good multitool with screw drivers and VOM is about the extent of it. A portable drill and bits helps but I have found that the rest of it is just weight in the rig and not something I want. If I have a job I need to do on a trip I might take those particular tools but you can gain 50 lbs of crap by carrying something that you "think" might come in handy later.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:35 PM   #11

A roll of 3-inch Gorilla tape. I’ve found that it does a great job of holding on the coraplast underbelly; much better than underbelly tape. Besides all of the stuff already mentioned, make sure you have the necessary wrenches for manually operating your tongue jack, electric stabilizers and slide mechanisms.
nfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:11 AM   #12

I carry a few "essential Tools" I have a Channellock 430, a Harbor freight multi meter, an outlet tester with a 30 amp adapter, a spark lighter, a roll of awning repair tape, a spare water heater plug, scissors, a small multi screw driver set with bits for every type of screw on the trailer, a rechargeable flash light, spare fuses of every size for the trailer and tow vehicle, a small 12 volt air compressor, a small bottle of white glue and a small bottle of 3 in 1 oil.

It all fits in one small drawer except for the breaker bar and trailer jack that travel in the storage area
Old 08-04-2022, 10:50 AM   #13

I am an extemely handy person. I try to do all my repairs at home, but that does not always happen.

My tool box, maybe is 4" x 5" x 10", super small and full. I carry only the basics. I have used almost all of these items once. I have never needed anything that is not listed. Except to repair torn out sewer system.
  • 7 in 1 screwdriver
  • Roberson #2 square drive screwdriver
  • Tiny channel locks
  • Small adjustable wrench
  • Small short handled hammer (I have used it. don't recall for what, but I recall my hatchet would have worked fine)
  • Old school pliers
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Small wire cutter
  • Utility knife
  • GFCI plug tester
  • Notebook
  • Partial roll of electrical tape
  • Multimeter (not in the tool box, summer home is in the TT, winter in the shop)
Outside the tool box I keep in a parts tray/box;
  • 15 and 30 amp fuses (have lots, & I keep them in a large Tic Tac box)
  • Variety of electrical connectors for repairs and splices
  • LED and incandescent light bulbs
  • Hose washers and cone washers (don't think I have ever used any)
  • Garden hose wye (don't think I have ever used it)
  • Variety of #2 square drive screws
  • Variety of Zipties
  • Partial roll of Eternabond (never used while on the road)
  • WDH clips (I did have one stolen once at camp )
  • Heavy duty flasher (makes the marker lights flash when on the side of the road to be more noticeable)
  • Bottle jack (this takes up as much space as everything combined noted above)
  • Roll of cold weather duct tape (never used, probably should replace)
  • Small 12V air compressor
In the TV, I carry a long breaker bar with sockets that fit all my vehicles and trailer's lug nuts.

Not really part of the tool list, but an essential, is box of disposable gloves for working with the sewer.

I figure if something really goes wrong, there is always a hardware store somewhere nearby.

Most of my repairs on the road, are electrical based. When the TT was new, I had a few loose threaded plumbing issues, all were minor leaks that were repaired at home.

Happy Camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:01 PM   #14

In addition to too many tools, I carry and use a large pair of channellock pliers. Very handy for opening the Sewer hookup cap at a campground.

Jump

Jerry Mary and Daisy the Beagle
2022 Alante 29S
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
The list will really depend on your DIY confidence level. Not everyone should have a PEX crimping tool. I can't think of anything you use at home that isn't potentially useful on the road.
LOL! best answer yet!

All RV's are garbage, and they ALL will break something, eventually.

Like this weekend, the damn black tank valve plunger came out of the bladex valve on me. So, now I have a tank that is filling and needed to amazon-up a new Valterra valve. The plunger handle appears to be press-fit onto the actual blade. Fun times.

I'm very happy with my 2014 constructed, 2015-model-year unit, but the amount of tools you carry should be inline with your abilities.

Our good friends can barely change a lightbulb on their new WhiteHawk. They wouldn't have as many tools as I carry.

Have fun out there.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:42 PM   #16

After about 2 years full timing, I found the most worked areas to be the back side of the fridge (propane/120vac), and the water heater electronics. Take off some of the panels and take a look in there for ideas. For instance, I was glad I had a 1/4in nut driver/screw driver. Wire cutters, strippers, some butt connectors etc. And a digital volt meter.

And open/boxed end wrenches with matching sockets for: your tow hitch (Anderson or whoever)(all of its connections), and wheel lug nuts (with extentions to reach in),

I did carry Pex crimpers, Ts, elbows, splices, etc, and a length of Pex pipe. We had two different instances of pex repair.

Just to name a few.

The problem is that you just can't carry everything you need. I can't count the times I bought tools on the road that I already had at home. This is triage. Take what you'll likely need and buy (again) what you don't have with you.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:55 PM   #17

Tool box

I carry an assortment of zip ties including X-rays large. Clip my awning on the side of a building and needed it keep it from falling. Also a volt meter to trouble shoot electrical issues including car and coax batteries. Gorilla duct tape. Used it to secure tank heater among other uses
Assortment of fused. Most important is a good emergency light. Costco had some on sale that are great. Tire pressure guage if your rig doesn’t have a read out
Djoannides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:18 PM   #18

I carry most all the above.I carry (2) 6 ton bottle jack for when not if the levelers fail.In five years we had 4 of the 6 fail.the front jacks failed while parked and I had no way to load on the fifth wheel hitch
Tryintoretire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 02:36 PM   #19

Im all about keeping things easy as possible for myself. Along with the breaker bars and ability to use some form of socket to change a tire I also strongly suggest a battery powered impact wrench and torque wrench.

In the 13k miles we have done on our trailer this year I have really only used the screw driver (many bits) and a couple wrenches (channel lock and socket). I have also had to use the impact to change a tire, it made it really fast and easy. Just torque when back on and a few miles later recheck...
Old 08-10-2022, 04:01 PM   #20

A handful of basic tools will get you by, then you can purchase as you think you need for you and your unit.
I carry a little extra wire and extra hardware.
Pump pliers or channel lock for hose fittings.
Square Roberts head screwdriver is a necessity.
Breaker bar and torque wrench for wheels.
Good roll of eternabond, gorilla tape, and a caulk gun of dicor or some other sealant you can use as needed.

Good luck and keep your mind and eyes and ears open for ideas - they are all over and lots of them on this forum.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote