Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #1

Ever had a situation where you could NOT get your rv/tt into a camp site?

We never have as weve always used a pop up camper, our first tt camp out is next weekend, and its a pull through LOL

But Was wondering if anyone has had a situation where they just couldn't get their camper backed into a site...on a trip where the campgrounds are all full that could be a disaster...

Old 05-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #2

We've not had that problem - still have the PUP - but we have seen people with big motorhomes having a lot of trouble, scraping into trees, hitting overhead branches, and taking an hour or more at it, and sometimes giving up. After a lot of yelling, like it's always the ground navigator's fault (esp. when the driver won't get out and look for himself).

Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #3

I had one that was really close once, but I was able to get in eventually. Granted, I haven't been playing this game for that long compared to some of the real veterans on the forum.

I try to avoid the situation by looking at as many actual pictures of the CG as I possibly can. I will look through their park maps, their photo galleries, Google street view, and satellite imagery to see that a space I'm scouting has enough room. I imagine it will not always work out, and when that time comes, I will call the park and speak to a person who can tell me if I can put my rig in the space I'm looking to reserve. In fact, many reservations I make over the phone, I'm actually looking at a map of the park while I'm talking to the person at the park, so I can have a dialogue with them and ask questions. All that won't solve the problem 100% of the time, but it sure helps to minimize it IMHO.

I would imagine the real problem comes when you're not assigned a specific site number at reservation. It has never happened to me, but I can imagine it happens. Or another situation is an unexpected or unplanned stop that you didn't get a chance to fully scout ahead of time. Then you get there and you're stuck with a site you can't get into. And if the park is full, you're SOL.

We find ourselves going to the same parks often, so when we're there, we take notes about the layout of the park. We note sites we might like to have in the future and ones that we don't want any part of. Often these are grouped together, so we just pick out areas we know we DON'T want to be in.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #4

So far, no. DW is my ground guide and she was concerned once or twice that we wouldn't fit but we managed to make it. When we planned our trip out west for this summer we looked at campground maps, recreation.gov, satellite images, etc to help in making decisions on sites.
bluie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #5

Not yet. I did notice some of the Missouri state CG's list potential obstacles that could prevent certain trailers from using particular sites. For instance, one had a side limit of 4' because of a tree that was clearly visible in the site's photo ...I guess if I had a slide that would be a problem. BTW, scottraycraft, what is a S67BHSW ? I don't see that model listed anywhere...is that supposed to be 267BHSW?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #6

As we took our last few trips in the PUP, we looked around the Forest Service campgrounds we frequent, checking for pull-through sites that would accommodate the length and width (and the slide) of the new TT. So far, we've been able to find suitable places at most of the 'grounds we like; reservations are not possible, but as we usually go out on Wednesday, we've always had our choice of spots. The first trip planned for the TT (assuming it comes in time) is to a place we'll have to back in, but as quite a lot of the spaces are long, we don't anticipate any problems - other than mastering backing up a TT that's 10' longer and 1' wider than what we're used to.
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottraycraft View Post
snip...
But Was wondering if anyone has had a situation where they just couldn't get their camper backed into a site...on a trip where the campgrounds are all full that could be a disaster...
No problem yet, but have been in just 1 State Park and picked pull-through site. Drove around and looked at the back-in sites. Didn't see very many that I was sure we could not get into. However, most appeared to be a bit of a challenge with our rig because of our l-o-n-g truck with 4wd.

This summer we will be doing just what Camper_bob said with maps etc. to try to pick sites that appear to not be a problem for us. Still, I expect there will be some sites when CG are nearly full that we won't be able to get into. At this point we don't see this as a disaster for the 2 of us, just an opportunity to go to Plan B.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #8

I have given up on a site once. We only spent maybe 5 minutes trying to get into it though, but it was pretty tight. And there were many other sites to choose from so we went to a different site.
If it was the last site available we would have made it work.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #9

Not yet, but I have seen a few where it would be easier to go the wrong way on the loop and back in from the other direction. I have seen many people do this over the years.

I did have the opposite happen to me last spring. Backed in with no issues, nice and smooth and easy, unhooked, fairly large site. When it was time to leave, it was a major pain. I could not pull forwards due to all the large trees along street side of the TT were all in the wrong places. I had to do a lot of jockeying. I think it took me 30+ minutes to move 5 feet. I was just about to contact the State Park Ranger for some help, once we got about 1/2" of clearance between the roof and a LARGE tree branch.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
...snip... Backed in with no issues, nice and smooth and easy, unhooked, fairly large site. When it was time to leave, it was a major pain. I could not pull forwards due to all the large trees along street side of the TT were all in the wrong places. ...snip...
One more thing to think about when picking a site.

oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote