Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > General Jayco RV Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2015, 07:52 AM   #1

Ever had a situation where you could NOT get your rv/tt into a camp site?

We never have as weve always used a pop up camper, our first tt camp out is next weekend, and its a pull through LOL

But Was wondering if anyone has had a situation where they just couldn't get their camper backed into a site...on a trip where the campgrounds are all full that could be a disaster...
Old 05-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #2

We've not had that problem - still have the PUP - but we have seen people with big motorhomes having a lot of trouble, scraping into trees, hitting overhead branches, and taking an hour or more at it, and sometimes giving up. After a lot of yelling, like it's always the ground navigator's fault (esp. when the driver won't get out and look for himself).
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #3

I had one that was really close once, but I was able to get in eventually. Granted, I haven't been playing this game for that long compared to some of the real veterans on the forum.

I try to avoid the situation by looking at as many actual pictures of the CG as I possibly can. I will look through their park maps, their photo galleries, Google street view, and satellite imagery to see that a space I'm scouting has enough room. I imagine it will not always work out, and when that time comes, I will call the park and speak to a person who can tell me if I can put my rig in the space I'm looking to reserve. In fact, many reservations I make over the phone, I'm actually looking at a map of the park while I'm talking to the person at the park, so I can have a dialogue with them and ask questions. All that won't solve the problem 100% of the time, but it sure helps to minimize it IMHO.

I would imagine the real problem comes when you're not assigned a specific site number at reservation. It has never happened to me, but I can imagine it happens. Or another situation is an unexpected or unplanned stop that you didn't get a chance to fully scout ahead of time. Then you get there and you're stuck with a site you can't get into. And if the park is full, you're SOL.

We find ourselves going to the same parks often, so when we're there, we take notes about the layout of the park. We note sites we might like to have in the future and ones that we don't want any part of. Often these are grouped together, so we just pick out areas we know we DON'T want to be in.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #4

So far, no. DW is my ground guide and she was concerned once or twice that we wouldn't fit but we managed to make it. When we planned our trip out west for this summer we looked at campground maps, recreation.gov, satellite images, etc to help in making decisions on sites.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #5

Not yet. I did notice some of the Missouri state CG's list potential obstacles that could prevent certain trailers from using particular sites. For instance, one had a side limit of 4' because of a tree that was clearly visible in the site's photo ...I guess if I had a slide that would be a problem. BTW, scottraycraft, what is a S67BHSW ? I don't see that model listed anywhere...is that supposed to be 267BHSW?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #6

As we took our last few trips in the PUP, we looked around the Forest Service campgrounds we frequent, checking for pull-through sites that would accommodate the length and width (and the slide) of the new TT. So far, we've been able to find suitable places at most of the 'grounds we like; reservations are not possible, but as we usually go out on Wednesday, we've always had our choice of spots. The first trip planned for the TT (assuming it comes in time) is to a place we'll have to back in, but as quite a lot of the spaces are long, we don't anticipate any problems - other than mastering backing up a TT that's 10' longer and 1' wider than what we're used to.
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottraycraft View Post
snip...
But Was wondering if anyone has had a situation where they just couldn't get their camper backed into a site...on a trip where the campgrounds are all full that could be a disaster...
No problem yet, but have been in just 1 State Park and picked pull-through site. Drove around and looked at the back-in sites. Didn't see very many that I was sure we could not get into. However, most appeared to be a bit of a challenge with our rig because of our l-o-n-g truck with 4wd.

This summer we will be doing just what Camper_bob said with maps etc. to try to pick sites that appear to not be a problem for us. Still, I expect there will be some sites when CG are nearly full that we won't be able to get into. At this point we don't see this as a disaster for the 2 of us, just an opportunity to go to Plan B.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #8

I have given up on a site once. We only spent maybe 5 minutes trying to get into it though, but it was pretty tight. And there were many other sites to choose from so we went to a different site.
If it was the last site available we would have made it work.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #9

Not yet, but I have seen a few where it would be easier to go the wrong way on the loop and back in from the other direction. I have seen many people do this over the years.

I did have the opposite happen to me last spring. Backed in with no issues, nice and smooth and easy, unhooked, fairly large site. When it was time to leave, it was a major pain. I could not pull forwards due to all the large trees along street side of the TT were all in the wrong places. I had to do a lot of jockeying. I think it took me 30+ minutes to move 5 feet. I was just about to contact the State Park Ranger for some help, once we got about 1/2" of clearance between the roof and a LARGE tree branch.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
...snip... Backed in with no issues, nice and smooth and easy, unhooked, fairly large site. When it was time to leave, it was a major pain. I could not pull forwards due to all the large trees along street side of the TT were all in the wrong places. ...snip...
One more thing to think about when picking a site.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Not yet, but I have seen a few where it would be easier to go the wrong way on the loop and back in from the other direction. I have seen many people do this over the years.

I did have the opposite happen to me last spring. Backed in with no issues, nice and smooth and easy, unhooked, fairly large site. When it was time to leave, it was a major pain. I could not pull forwards due to all the large trees along street side of the TT were all in the wrong places. I had to do a lot of jockeying. I think it took me 30+ minutes to move 5 feet. I was just about to contact the State Park Ranger for some help, once we got about 1/2" of clearance between the roof and a LARGE tree branch.
Probably has to due with the angle of the TV relative to the trailer when you unhooked vs hooked back up.
I have noticed this a few times leaving our storage parking spot which has a post that I am usually within 12 inches of. One time I hooked up a little crooked and because I wasn't straight while pulling forward I was very close to the post as I left.
One more thing to think about but you can adjust the angle you hookup with to help get out of a tight site.

Cheers
Old 05-14-2015, 12:36 PM   #12

No. I usually look at the site sizes before I go and then look at google maps/satellite view to see what actually fit. I have personally found that most (if not all that I have been to) state campgrounds and county campgrounds underestimate their site sizes.

For example, Jalama State Beach - said 30ft, google clearly showed 35ft motor-homes in those sites, I got there with my 35ft travel trailer and had about 10-12ft behind me.

Example 2 - Emma Wood State Beach - said 32, google clearly showed 35ft trailers and motor-homes in those sites, I had about 30ft behind me and then another 30ft of rocks back to the ocean.

I had a reservation at Yosemite and had sold my class C before our trip. I was worried I wouldn't be able to fit in the site I had selected. I called and they said if I couldn't fit that they would try and get me in a different spot. They said if I didn't fit, I wouldn't have to pay. Due to the GOV shutdown, we had to go somewhere else and I never got a chance to test that.

I could keep going, but my personal experience is prepare to a point and then just take the chance.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #13

Like a couple others on here I research anywhere I am going first by using Google Earth. I look at the satellite view, street view and take measurements using the ruler feature. I even plan out my gas/grocery stops ahead of time so I don't have to worry. That being said I largely avoid any campsite issues by primarily camping in the national forest. I only do designated campground sites about 10% of the time.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:45 PM   #14

Backs before I wised up, when we would call ahead and make a reservation and they would ask the length of our TT, I would tell them 24', which it was classed as. I soon learned to tell them the total length of it (29') instead of the advertised length. Can make a difference when getting into some sites. That's all part of the learning experience.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #15

Never had a site that I couldnt get into but some were a challenge but I have also had a pull thru that was like a horseshoe and that was worse than any back in site I have ever had.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
Never had a site that I couldnt get into but some were a challenge but I have also had a pull thru that was like a horseshoe and that was worse than any back in site I have ever had.
I had one of these at McKinney Falls State Park outside Austin, TX. I would agree, it was one of the more difficult spaces I've stayed in. Luckily there were no trees really close to the pavement. The hardest part was that the truck was at a sharp angle and on an incline by the time I got the trailer where I wanted it. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get the WDH bars on and off. That wasn't a problem, but the incline was enough that the tongue jack was at the bottom of its travel (so the coupler was about 8" off the ground) by the time the trailer got level front to back! I was afraid I would have to hitch back up and take my block out from under the tongue jack to get it low enough!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #17

Quote:

I did have the opposite happen to me last spring. Backed in with no issues, nice and smooth and easy, unhooked, fairly large site. When it was time to leave, it was a major pain. ...
I hear ya'.

There are some loading docks and delivery areas that a tractor trailer can easily back into, but then can't get right out. Drivers learn to watch for that. 5th wheels can have similar problems.

Sometimes disconnecting makes sense. It's most always an option. I've disconnected and re-connected a couple times in a row rather than take a chance. That saves some maneuvering, but doesn't save face when people are watching. I'd rather be thought of as a poor driver than need to fill out those pesky insurance forms.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #18

There's been a few that were challenging, but I've always been able to do it. Fortunately, the other campers I've held up with my escapades always gave me that knowing "been there, done that" grin.

This coming weekend will be our first trip with the new trailer, which is half again as long as our old one, so I'm a little apprehensive with some of the sites. But this year I've made sure that our reservations were for either pull through sites, or left side back in sites, so I can just lean out the drivers side window and see what I'm actually doing. We also picked up a cheap set of walkie talkies and so DW can spot while I drive. I don't want to park by feel.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #19

We had one last year, it was a pull through site that was really one of those that you pull off to the side and park the trailer parallel to the road. There were trees in the way and there was no way we could pull though and not hit any of the trees. The guy a few spots away walked over and said he tried that site the night before and had the same problem. We gave up and backed into the site. Trailer wasn't positioned great, but it was only a one night stop over.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #20
Site Team

I generally book state campgrounds and the website asks the length of my trailer. I always add 5' to make sure I don't book a site that's too tight.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote