Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcloss View Post
I have the hard wired Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C. I sleep well knowing it will not grow legs at night.

Progressive Indistries 30 Amp Electrical Management System w Remote Display
Yeah, thats it. I like that the best. I have to pull things apart anyway when the weather get civilized. I want to wire in my gen. to the same place the rv power cord connects and I'm guessing the EMS must get connected there as well.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #22

Many people suggest you have the portable unit rather than the hard wired unit. Under some circumstances units can be physically damaged which could cause harm if it was affixed to your unit. You can get a lock box which makes it more difficult to seal your protector. I did have lightening take out one unit, actually turned the display char black, I was happy it was away from my unit not attached to the wood structure.

Also if you do feel a current when you touch your rig, do not enter it, let the campground management know, it can be dangerous. Problem is people unfamiliar with campground and RV wiring think it is the same as house wiring, where you connect the ground and neutral together, an RV uses the frame as the negative you need to run your ground all the way to the box.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #23
Site Team

Most cg breaker panels have a lock tab. Just slip your own padlock on it until you leave.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #24

I had a power surge that fried the inverter in a camper. It was so high it melted the wires on the plug to the auto....It was a pain to fix everything and not cheap. i decided after that to get a surge protector. cheaper than replacing everything else.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
I had a power surge that fried the inverter in a camper. It was so high it melted the wires on the plug to the auto....It was a pain to fix everything and not cheap. i decided after that to get a surge protector. cheaper than replacing everything else.
I did not understand this "...melted the wires on the plug to the auto..."? Are you referring to a surge from your tow vehicle or shore power? Melting the wires to the tow vehicle is going to require some major amperage and bypassed fuses.

Assuming you are meaning shore power:

I think you meant converter not inverter. Inverter changes 12VDC to 120VAC.

Be aware that a surge only protector would probably not prevent the problem you encountered. A surge protector clamps extremely high voltage, short duration spikes. It does not stop simple over voltage situations. You will need an EMS that will shut down power for over voltage.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #26

I've camped for years at campgrounds and never had a problem or gave it much thought. Last season, I bought a brand new Jayco and on one of my first trips out in it...ZAPPO! I was going to 'driveway camp' at a friends place and he wired me up an outlet to his garage circuit breaker. Smoked my converter and microwave oven...everything else survived.

Do yourself a favor....protect yourself.

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:32 PM   #27

Surge Protectors

Are the Progressives UL rated? If so, just wondering what the UL1449 clamping voltage is for these units. I didn't see any reference in the links. I would be concerned if they aren't UL listed TVSS devices.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #28

I had pedestal issues at two separate campgrounds last year. I use the Progressive Industries EMS....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCAMPER View Post
Are the Progressives UL rated? If so, just wondering what the UL1449 clamping voltage is for these units. I didn't see any reference in the links. I would be concerned if they aren't UL listed TVSS devices.
I found nothing regarding UL listing or the clamp voltage. I don't understand your concern. I absolutely guarantee, UL listed or not, the protection provided by this device is far better than just a 30 amp current limiting circuit breaker.

Here is a link to Progressive Industries:

Progressive Industries

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:18 PM   #30

I just installed the Surge Guard 50A hardwired 34560 with optional LCD monitor. I do HVAC and seen surges and improper power do bad things to control boards in air conditioning and heating units. I agree with gcloss now I don't have to worry about it growing legs and disappearing at night or when away from camper. LCD screen is awesome. Shows L1 and L2 voltage and amperage and any errors and has delay when fault occurs. Nice unit! Very happy. Recommend surge protection on all RVs.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #31

I have had the Progressive EMS-PT50C for 4 1/2 years and in that time it has saved me from low voltage at state parks more than once, open neutral and ground more than once, and it has a 2 1/2 minute delay after a power outage before it will send power back to the RV. That has happened more than I can count and I'm sure my a/c's are still alive because of this if the outages were just a split second or so. I haven't seen a spike yet. I did have it shut me down twice at my home base site, which is in a residential area, for high voltage. It seems the transformer that services my site and 9 homes was failing. I had to argue with the utility trouble person so they would send out a lineman. When he did arrive he measured a little over 132 volts. He then asked how I determined I had a problem. When he saw my EMS-PT50C he said he was going to order one that same day since he had a TT.

I will not hook up to electricity anywhere without it.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #32

I ordered the Progressive Industries PT30c.

When I was browsing Amazon I noticed Camco makes a unit that I never see anyone talking about. They have it for like $150 with free shipping. The TRC unit is like $200 with free shipping.

Huge price difference between the Progressive unit and the other brands. I went with the Progressive due to the excellent reviews and warranty.
2006 Forest River Salem Hybrid *sold*
thebuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #33

Progressive Industries EMSPT30C Surge Protector
Currently available for under $213 shipped.

Amazon.com: Progressive Industries EMSPT30C Surge Protector: Automotive
Old 03-29-2015, 08:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
Progressive Industries EMSPT30C Surge Protector
Currently available for under $213 shipped.

Amazon.com: Progressive Industries EMSPT30C Surge Protector: Automotive
Good find, I only noticed the $270 listing on Amazon for it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AL23TC/...QW0VZSSD&psc=1
Old 03-29-2015, 09:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
I've camped for years at campgrounds and never had a problem or gave it much thought. Last season, I bought a brand new Jayco and on one of my first trips out in it...ZAPPO! I was going to 'driveway camp' at a friends place and he wired me up an outlet to his garage circuit breaker. Smoked my converter and microwave oven...everything else survived.

Do yourself a favor....protect yourself.
Did he wired 30 amp plug as 240V? I've seen it happen before. Most electricians are not familiar with RV's. It is a different plug than a standard dryer 30 amp plug, but can easily be wired incorrectly. Sorry about your problem.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:19 PM   #36

I agree the device is better than nothing. the UL rating will guarantee the design clamping voltage and that the unit design has been tested. 330V is a typical value. I think it would be good to know how high a voltage spike will go before it gets clipped??
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:42 PM   #37

I believe my Progressive Industries EMS did have a UL rating sticker on it. I would have to double check to confirm....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:23 AM   #38

Per Progressive's web site, the pictures of their hard wired EMS do show the UL Label. The wording under the UL label (and CUL for our friends from north of the border) says: Ind.Cont.Eq., E213280 22XS.

Their portable units do not have the UL label, but the specifications are the same as the hard wired units. I suspect the standards for UL listing are different for portable products and thus no UL label on the portable units. In other electrical industries portable products are different in UL's eyes. I'm speaking from experience here.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCAMPER View Post
Yes the progressive is UL rated. It is stamped right on the cover of the device.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #40

One year update on the Progressive PT30C that I ordered.

I had issues at two campgrounds. One in Maryland and one in Ohio.

I kept getting hit with low voltage in Maryland. The park claimed that my EMS was faulty.. Lol. Plugged it into a pedestal in a different section of the park, no problems. Plugged it back into my pedestal.. Low voltage. It was so bad in Maryland that I had to just unplug from the pedestal for the day. No issues the days leading up to that day or the couple days after. It was a weekend day when we had the problem. Their system must have been overly stressed.

In Ohio we lost power altogether. It took the park a while to figure it out, it ended up being a bad breaker on a power pole before my pedestal.

The EMS may have paid for itself last season on either of those trips.