Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #1

Experience with a Continu.us TV?

E've been traveling for about 3 weeks in our new (to us) 2014 Redhawk 26xs. It came with a 32" flatscreen Continu.us Model #CT-3210

In this time we've stayed at several different parks and have used their cable TV hookup with VERY mixed results.

Is this normal? We have used both the cable furnished by the park as well as a new cable that we purchased. Each time the picture is very "snowy" and not worth watching. Very occasionally we have found one or two channels (that we don't want to watch-LOL!) where the picture quality is acceptable.

Is it the parks service that is not working well--or is it our TV? We certainly don't mind buying a new TV if this will solve the problem, but don't want to waste money if this won't solve the problem.

Any ideas or experience with this TV?

Thanks in advance for any help!
TVQ1
TVQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #2

Sounds like a loose connection some place. Also do you have the antenna amplifier off?
Old 09-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #3

Are you turning your OTA booster off so that no green led is showing?
Old 09-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #4

Ditto on the ant booster needs to be off or the cable or Sat won't work.

Also the cable at many RV parks is suspect and very often if it comes in, it will be only SD as the owners don't want to pay the higher cost of HD or buy the HD boxes that is needed at each site.

We stayed at a fairly nice "resort" on the south side of Antonio TX and the cable was snowy and of poor quality and all in SD. I set up the Dish receiver the following morning and all was good.

The C-US tv that came with our 2014 TT worked fine for the first year but soon after the sound began to fail. Jayco replaced it under warrantee or more correctly they gave me a settlement and allowed me to buy what ever I wanted.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Are you turning your OTA booster off so that no green led is showing?
Good guess. That was the problem with mine till someone said did you ...
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies--

We'll check out the settings. I know we changed the input setting from OTA to cable, or it would not have any picture at all. I don't think we have an antenna booster?

I'm guessing it's just poor cable service at most parks. Certainly not a deal breaker for us, we just had a few football games we wanted to watch while we were on the road. Other thank that, we are happy to read a good book or play a game of cards!

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the advice and help I have received here on the forum,

TVQ1
TVQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #7

You definitely have a booster. It's either behind the TV or in the cabinet adjacent to it.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVQ1 View Post
Thanks for the replies--

We'll check out the settings. I know we changed the input setting from OTA to cable, or it would not have any picture at all. I don't think we have an antenna booster?

I'm guessing it's just poor cable service at most parks. Certainly not a deal breaker for us, we just had a few football games we wanted to watch while we were on the road. Other thank that, we are happy to read a good book or play a game of cards!

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the advice and help I have received here on the forum,

TVQ1
Your booster is going to be on the wall where the Coax cable from the back of the Television connects to. It just looks like a little cover. It will have a green LED on it. If the lED is lit it is boosting the signal for your roof antenna and will not work with cable. There is a little button to push. It will turn the light off and then cable will work. You also have to change the settings in your television menu and scan for channels once you have the booster off.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:21 PM   #9

I have been using the C-US television in my 2013 full time for the past 3 years with no issues. I did have a problem in the beginning with the cable connections. It appears that my lines are mixed up at the amplifier and I needed to use the connector for the bedroom tv after removing the short jumper line. I do need to troubleshoot and correct this but have been lazy after figuring out what works.

Also, as others have said, don't forget to scan each time you change locations.

Terry
On the edge between Far West TX & Eastern NM
Traver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:39 PM   #10

Has anyone found a 12v connector or cord that works with the continuous tv?
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:33 AM   #11

On my Continuous TV the cable connector twisted off the circuit board merely unscrewing the cable with my fingers. I threw it in the garbage where it belongs..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace817 View Post
Has anyone found a 12v connector or cord that works with the continuous tv?
I had Continu-us TVs in my unit, all were designed to work on 110-volts only, the AC cord fed directly into the unit. They did not have any provision for DC input.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #13

I think the inconsistency indicates a problem with the incoming signal. I know with our Continu.us TV, the picture quality can be quite good if the source is HD. My OTA digital channels look GREAT. Most RV resort-type places we have stayed that have cable have it in SD only (just hook up coax from their port on the post to the port on the outside of my trailer, turn the antenna booster off and do a channel search on the TV using the "cable" setting), so it looks like crap for most of the channels (a few of them are HD, but like OP said, those aren't usually the ones DW wants to watch). Of course, it's cheaper and easier for the park to do it this way, and they can put "Cable TV" on their amenities list.

I've only stayed at one park that actually sent me to my spot with an actual cable box that I hooked up in my trailer. I used the HDMI ports, and the picture looked great. Well, as great as that little TV can do. But even then, the signal coming into my trailer was through a COAX line on their post.

All that being said, it's probably a good idea to give your connections a good once-over. Make sure they're all clean and tight. But even the best connections can't fix a crappy incoming signal.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #14

Replaced continu-us TV

My Continu-us TV was working well until about a week ago when the picture disappeared. I suspect one of the video circuit boards needs replacing. Seeing as we are on the road, I did not want to fiddle with this problem. Found a great replacement TV at Best Buy: an Insignia 32 inch dumb TV for $130. It has good reviews on Consumer Reports including a good repair history.

Removed the old Continu-us TV held by 4 M4 cap screws. The Continu-us uses a non-standard mounting bolt pattern. I had to drill holes for the Insignia mounting. It uses the now standard 100 mm square mounting bolt pattern. The Insignia outside dimensions are smaller than the Continu-us. The screen size, however, is the same. I put the top holes of the 100 mm pattern 1-1/4 inches below the top holes of the Continu-us pattern, centered on the old bolt hole center. There was still enough room on the mounting plate for the two new bottom holes. I used a 7/32" drill to allow for some slight misalignment. Bought new M4 cap screws about 1/2" long and washers. The Insignia mounting holes are not too deep. But, it only weighs 9 pounds. The Insignia bolted up to the mounting plate fine.

Reconnected the various wires, and fired it up. Works fine. I bought the 5 year warranty for $30. So I now have 5 years of guaranteed pleasurable view for $160 plus tax. This is not the same TV as my home 55" 1080p unit. But we are, after all, camping. :-)

2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2002 Honda Accord towed, ACME tow dolly
Northwest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:19 AM   #15

Six months and 3600 miles later, my $130.00, 32" Insignia television is still working well.

2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2002 Honda Accord towed, ACME tow dolly
Northwest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote