Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #1

Experience with Good Sam Auto Insurance?

Has anyone had experience with GS Insurance other than RoadSide Assistance?
I have an Elite Plan that I received with the purchase of my Jayco 195 RB.

After reading many positive reviews in this forum, I thought I would look into GS to insure my Towing Vehicle as well. Your thoughts and comments would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #2

AAA jacked up our rates so I spent considerable time looking at different carriers. In the end it came down to toughing out the increase with AAA or moving to GoodSam. All the other carriers we have didn't make the cut.

In the end we ended up sticking with AAA. The reasons were:
1. AAA seemed to have more established relationships with different towing companies. Basically the way it works is that when you call in for service, the insurance company will look at nearby towing options. If they have an agreement in place (meaning the service provider agrees to do it at a certain price), the arrival will be pretty quick. However if they don't, then you wait while they call around and try to get a company to agree to their price. Saw stories where people waited 4-6 hours for an arrival with Good Sam as they didn't have as many pre-established relationships when you get into the sticks.

2) AAA will tow you to a location within 100 miles. Good Sam has no restrictions on distance. Seems like Good Sam is the choice, right? At first glance, but not when you get into it. Your trade off with Good Sam is that if your RV needs a tow, they take it to the nearest center. No other options. With AAA if your preferred service center is 99 miles away, they will tow it there even if there are other service centers closer. And even if it falls outside of the 100 mile range, you can pay the cost difference to get it where you want. Not so with Good Sam. They will take it to the nearest center, and that's your only option. If your desired service center is even a mile further away, it's your tough luck, Chuck.

These were my interpretations after reading a lot of different reviews on a lot of different sites. But very curious to see what others think.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campers & Fishers View Post
Has anyone had experience with GS Insurance other than RoadSide Assistance?
I have an Elite Plan that I received with the purchase of my Jayco 195 RB.

After reading many positive reviews in this forum, I thought I would look into GS to insure my Towing Vehicle as well. Your thoughts and comments would be much appreciated. Thanks
Shopped car and trailer insurance again about 3 weeks ago. GEICO hammered everyone on price even SAFCO.Only bad thing GEICO only quote 6 month premiums.And every 6 month they add about 8 bucks to each vehicles monthly premium.Happy Trails!
Attached Thumbnails
Dad camper cottonwood.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
Site Team

We have GS insurance, but only on the TT. Their rates beat our regular carrier, and you can activate and deactivate everything (except we keep the comprehensive) by phone without turning in the plate. Whatever is left from the years premium you get back. I'm making it sound kind of simple, but they work for our needs. We get too much of a discount from our regular company to switch out vehicles over. Just my .02 worth.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #5

Insurance

I had a claim 2 weeks after purchasing our Seneca. We have an acre and never had a problem with people or theft. I left the motorhome door unlocked one night and 2 vandals opened the fire extinguisher and sprayed EVERYTHING. GS Insurance, actually National General, allowed a hazmat-type cleaning and upholstery repair where they ripped cushions. I was amazed at the service and promptness. $100 increase in premium for year two. Year three was another $100 with direct billing from National General. I input my information again through Good Sam and saved $350 from year one with stellar coverage. They beat any company I felt would be there if I needed them.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:33 AM   #6

we are full timers- we have been on the road since 1999- we have always had GS coverage- we have had our share of misfortune but have always been satisfied with our choice of insurers- GS has an advantage in that they specialize in the rv aspect of the insurance and road service business-
Old 02-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
AAA jacked up our rates so I spent considerable time looking at different carriers. In the end it came down to toughing out the increase with AAA or moving to GoodSam. All the other carriers we have didn't make the cut.

In the end we ended up sticking with AAA. The reasons were:
1. AAA seemed to have more established relationships with different towing companies. Basically the way it works is that when you call in for service, the insurance company will look at nearby towing options. If they have an agreement in place (meaning the service provider agrees to do it at a certain price), the arrival will be pretty quick. However if they don't, then you wait while they call around and try to get a company to agree to their price. Saw stories where people waited 4-6 hours for an arrival with Good Sam as they didn't have as many pre-established relationships when you get into the sticks.

2) AAA will tow you to a location within 100 miles. Good Sam has no restrictions on distance. Seems like Good Sam is the choice, right? At first glance, but not when you get into it. Your trade off with Good Sam is that if your RV needs a tow, they take it to the nearest center. No other options. With AAA if your preferred service center is 99 miles away, they will tow it there even if there are other service centers closer. And even if it falls outside of the 100 mile range, you can pay the cost difference to get it where you want. Not so with Good Sam. They will take it to the nearest center, and that's your only option. If your desired service center is even a mile further away, it's your tough luck, Chuck.

These were my interpretations after reading a lot of different reviews on a lot of different sites. But very curious to see what others think.
Sierrealone, do you have RV and auto insurance with AAA?

2015 Jayco Pinnacle FLSA & 2008 Chevy Duramax

Anxiously awaiting retirement where I have been told everyday is a Saturday
Old 02-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #8

After reading a positive Geico Post here, I went to Geico for quotes. Now I'm a brand new Geico Insured. Insured my TV and Trailer. Saved some money. We'll see.
Thanks for all of the replies to my post. Rgds, Jeff
Old 02-22-2017, 11:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawe View Post
Sierrealone, do you have RV and auto insurance with AAA?
Just roadside. Our regular auto policy is through Allstate.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote