Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #1

Extended Warranties

My dealer is offering me an extended warranty which replaces the Jayco warranty and adds 1 to 5 years to the 2 year Jayco warranty.
Has anyone done this?
Do you think it's a good idea?
This one has a $100 deductible, and road side assistance, as well as all the typical items it covers.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #2

Personally I do not go for extended warranties. They are a gamble. The warranty provider is betting you won't have a problem. You are betting you will. As with any gamble the odds are in favor of the house. Plus you must be very careful and read ALL of the contract. You may be surprised at what may be excluded and/or the qualifications to collect on the warranty.

Always remember:
EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.

Not all extended warranty companies are created equal. Do your research. Find people who have actually used the warranty. Ultimately the gamble is yours.

Myself, I'll keep the money the warranty would have cost and set it aside for any repair IF it is ever needed.

Hope this helps you some.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #3

Excellent advice. I actually don't have the fine print from the dealer, so I will call and ask for it. Thanks

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #4

I think if you have a motorized unit and plan on keeping it for a fair number of years, as long or longer than the extended, I would recommend it. Not sure if I would buy if for a towable unless it is a high end unit with all the gadgets, slides, levelers, convection oven, ice-maker etc. Mine just saved me $1,100 on a radiator and I'm only at the half way point, 3 1/2 out of 7 years coverage.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #5

We are looking at a extended warranty thougth Wholesale Warranties. Net
We have talked to RVers that have used them and if you follow the rules they can be great, but you must follow their rules when making a claim.
Here is a good read and info on extended warranties and good people that can quote you a good price.
http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-extended-warranties.html
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #6

We went for the EW with $100.00 Ded for 7 years. My reasoning was I have 4 slides, electric everything and while being fairly handy I just felt that knowing my costs upfront was piece of mind. It is insurance in my mind and based on total price paid for the unit, a marginal ammount of cost. They don't really get that much cheaper as you go down in size so that should be fatored in as well. If your paying under 20K for the unit and the cost is $1500.00 and you have one slide then maybe it would be better to wait and see. If however you are on the opposite side of the spectrum as I am then it might be a good thing. These rigs are becomming more and more advanced with options that if factory would be covered depending on the level of coverage you take. And let's face it the manufacturing of the components is mostly out of China and other lowest cost vendor in most cases. The companythat I have currently, Starr I had on a previuos car and I had no issues with coverage. I even was returned a fair portion of my initial payment upon canceling when I traded in the car. Let's say you have the 7 year plan and in 4 you decide to cancel as a result of sale or don't feel you need it. Ask what the refund would be in that case or any other. I was given back 25% of my initial investment with 2 years and 25K miles left and had a farily large service claim covered while under the policy. You do, as Rob menitoned above need to get all work pre-authorized in order to be reimbursed. It's an easy process but should be followed. The other option is Jayplus, but that is expensive and you can only go to the Jayco dealers I believe. With mine I can use anyone once out of Jayco's 2 year warranty period, even mobile techs. Your going to find a line in sand on this topic and for every on for the is an against. At the end of the day it's a personal choice and a gamble as very we decribed above.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #7

I traded in my 2001 WildWood for my new 2012 32TSBH. I store my unit 275 miles from home and try to use it as much as possible at the campground where it is stored. Everything was fine for the first few years with my old TT. Then things started happening. I would get there, and this or that didn't work. It had only one slide. I paid to have a slide fixed once, the fridge, the hot water heater and a few other things. My new TT has 3 slides, not to mention numerous other electrical devices like the jack, awning etc. It only took my wife and I a few seconds to decide on an extended warranty after the dealer explained it. As far as I am concerned it is a small price for the peace of mind it gives me. I normally do not purchase extended warranties, but this time I did. I should be in good shape for the next 7 years.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote