Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #1

Extended Warranty

Hello. Looking to purchase an extended warranty for my 2017 Jayco 28BHBE. Any recommendations on companies to consider?
DMobley232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #2

What's the name of your bank? Self insure through that and save the money. Those warranties have waaaay too many little gotchas
Old 09-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
What's the name of your bank? Self insure through that and save the money. Those warranties have waaaay too many little gotchas
I don't owe on the camper, so I don't have anything through a bank.
DMobley232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #4

What I meant was set aside the money in your account to self insure yourself. If you don't need any repairs in a 12 month period you still have your money plus some interest Better than givin it to someone else that expects you to do every little thing to meet their rules for repairs.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
What I meant was set aside the money in your account to self insure yourself. If you don't need any repairs in a 12 month period you still have your money plus some interest Better than givin it to someone else that expects you to do every little thing to meet their rules for repairs.
I agree. The "shwarranty" clowns look for any way out that they can muster to avoid paying out. Save your money. A savings account, the same as you do for home repairs, is dead on. These guys just use us and prey on our fears and insecurities. These "programs" are at best a means for providing a false sense of security and most likely fairly termed as legal scams.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #6
Site Team

X3. The only way you can guarantee spending that repair money is to invest in an aftermarket extended warranty.

Save your money for the next big repair. If a large problem does come along and it is more than you want to spend, trade the RV in and start over.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #7

We regret buying our Extended Service Plan from Good Sam (camping world).

They have not honored the plan as written in the fancy brochure they have on the counter, they take absurdly long periods of time to have the motorhome sitting IN THEIR shop waiting for a part that is already in their own showroom. They still charge you all kinds of fees that are not covered in the service plan too... (shop supplies fee, Freight fee for parts, parts disposal fees).

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:47 PM   #8

To many fish hooks in those warranties. Companies are in business to make money not give it away. You will hear sorry that is not covered over and over. Save your money.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #9

I wonder what would happen with RV quality if we all stopped buying the industry's crud and refused their "warranties" as a selling point. Would it force them to build better vehicles and stop using warranties as "value-added" sales mechanisms? Just build units that are worth buying (so well-built a warranty is nearly neutered as a value) and stop all of this smoke blowing. Just build vehicles that last. Then we won't need or have the perceived need for warranties. They really are incredibly over-rated marketing mechanisms designed to find multiple avenues into our wallets.

I feel like if you built the thing so cruddy that I need to be warrantied out the kazoo, then you must have really built a piece of !#$! So I buy their crud knowing the warranty is of little to no use to me and that I will spend my time, money, and energy fixing their derelictions. It's just part of the deal with the way things are. But at least this way I know that things have been fixed and rebuilt correctly, or as correctly as they can be with their shoddy designs and assembly practices. Don't ask me why I keep doing this. I guess it is for the escape it provides DW and me. Not worth it in dollars, but what else can I do. Stay home I guess or blow our money on hotels and cars.

If I am purchasing something worth my hard-earned dollar then it should hold up well for a reasonable time. I would love to buy a product that was so well-built that the company did not need or have a formal warranty for it. Their motto would be: It's built. Enjoy it. No warranty needed. But here to help if a rare failure occurs.

They are playing us, people!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:39 PM   #10

Ex Warranties

Read the fine print very carefully. It's the " Oh, bye the ways" that get you. Example, Oh, bye the way, that is not covered.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote