Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #1

Extended warranty

Hello all
Just wondering what everyone's thought is on extended warranty. We have one on our present trailer. We looking at moving up to a fifth wheel and are trying to decide on whether to get the extra warranty or not.
Phil2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #2

You could take what the extended warranty costs and set it aside each month for any repairs. The EW doesn't kick in until the factory warranty expires. Why pay for a year or two on something that doesn't take effect for 24 months.

If you decide that after the factory warranty expires, you could then purchase the EW, if you felt the need.

My opinion and, of course, worth what you paid for it.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:28 PM   #3

Mt North Point is my house. The residential fridge is a dual door. I have heard stories, ugly stories, like the slide has to come out to replace the fridge. With the rising cost of parts, AC's, Axels, Washer/Dryer? On a fixed income? Yea I'll pay... you bet I'll pay.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Our one and only experience with an extended warranty ended with us never needing, or using it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:14 PM   #5

Unlucky

Based on our experiences with modern manufacturing, we purchase extended warranties on almost everything with a high price tag. Our Jayco North Point is in for a slide mechanism replacement in just it's third year. We use it about 8 weeks a year.

We always buy extended warranties for vehicles, appliances and some electronics. We have needed them about 90% of the time. Our house refrigerator ice maker just started malfunctioning this morning. Yes, we are unlucky in needing things repaired, but fortunate we have extended warranties.
ccsest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #6

I just purchased a new Jayco t33l a couple months ago and purchased the extended warranty. I should have waited and purchased at a later date from a warranty service provider. could have save some money. places like wholesale warranty
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:37 PM   #7

When we purchased our 2019 Eagle 355mbqs in April, the dealership offered us the extended warranty for about $4500. I thought that was quite expensive and didn't give it a second thought. Especially since I won't need it for two years and I have that time to decide if I still want to take advantage of it. Not sure how much places like Good Sam or Wholesale Warranty charges for the same warranty.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:21 PM   #8

I did not get one on my first "starter" TT, but on our 5th wheel I did. When the sales guy told me is was $2,999, I told him to screw off. He then came down to $1,600. I bought it then. It is an after market one, but has good reviews.
gburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:43 AM   #9

We purchased the extended warranty on the current & previous 5vers. After having the axles replaced on the previous 5ver, definitely paid for itself. On the current 5ver, we waited & purchased it just before the unit was a year old.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #10

What aftermarket warranty companies are all of you going with? I'm still under the two year warranty and about to hit the one year anniversary mark for our 28BHS and I've already had tons of stuff go bad on it. It's now making me think an EW is worth looking into.
Failures to date:
Tongue Jack
Water Heater Electronics Board
Fridge Electronics Board
Water Pump
Awning Swing Arms
Outdoor Showerhead leaking under bathroom sink
I'm sure I'm missing some things. Lets just say it's probably been in the shop 4 months out of the 12 months I've had it. But the wife and I love the trailer. Just have to get through these bugs.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #11

I wouldnt get one, not that they are no good. The problem is to get thing fixed. Looks like most of the dealers are uncapable to give good service in a timely manner.

To bad that we cant buy customers services warranty though ....

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:35 PM   #12

Good Sames Extended Service Plan Gold (buyer beware)

Sadly, as a newbie not doing my research as I should have, I just found out that if you want to cancel the ESP plan with Good Sam, they will charge you a $50 one time fee, just because you are cancelling it.

It was a waste of time. Better of saving your money and put it aside in case a repair is needed.

Best Regards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2008 View Post
Hello all
Just wondering what everyone's thought is on extended warranty. We have one on our present trailer. We looking at moving up to a fifth wheel and are trying to decide on whether to get the extra warranty or not.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #13

I think they are worth it at the right price and the right coverage.

You have to compare the coverage. Some of the cheaper ones don’t cover electrical wiring.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #14

We bought the extended warranty when we purchased our 2017 Pinnacle and it has paid for itself. Things will go wrong, just a fact when full timing and moving like we do. You can negotiate with the dealer to get the deal you are happy with. I do not normally get the extended warranty but since this is our home I felt we should do it and we did. Did the same when we bought the 2017 F250 diesel tow vehicle and we have used it as well. Hope this helps.
kliney1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #15

Well, it is one thing regarding the cost of the EW, but it is the fine print that can kill you. Policies usually have all sorts of conditions that cost quite a bit of money over the long term. Whereas anyone with a bit of mechanical aptitude can do all the inspection, maintenance, and other stuff that is part of the fine print. And between saving the cost of the extended warranty and the other fees and expenses to meet the conditions of the EW. When you add it all up, you likely could replace the cost of a fridge, water heater, furnace, etc and still end up with less out of pocket in the long term

It is quite rare that anyone actually gets out of an EW what is actually costs them. This is why they are offered. The folks that offer them are making money from them, not losing money. Else they wouldn't offer them just to go broke. There is no beneficent philanthropic mindset by the folks offering them. It is all about money.

But each person has to live within their own comfort zone. I never chastise anyone for getting one of these things, but they need to go into with eyes wide open.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #16

I bought 2016 265RLS and I kick myself for not spending 2,000 to get the extra warranty. I didn’t read read how it works, if you don’t use it for the term you get it back. Unless they’ve changed that in the past couple of years. Good investment I’d say.
slevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #17

Thumbs up Extended warranty

We have a Jayco G2 33RKS. Our extended warranty just expired and we already miss it. It more than paid for itself. I understand that is usually not the case. This TT stays permanently on our son’s land. The EW even paid for the service calls. Just bought a new smaller TT that we travel in during the year. This one is not a Jayco. Considering the declining quality in rv’s, we will once again purchase an EW.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #18

Someone is paying for it in some way. Warranties, insurance, etc is not free. If they are giving back all the money that someone pays for a warranty if they don't use it, there is no money around to pay for repairs that exceed the warranty cost of those who do use it. And the carrier makes no money. Insurance, extended warrantees, etc are a risk pool. So, someone is paying for the extended warranty. It really isn't rocket science.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #19

Just look at how prices have risen and quality has spiraled down. There you go
slevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #20