Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #1

Extended warranty experience

Camping world is offering me a 7 year extended warranty on my tt. I think it comes out to around $35 additional on my monthly payment. What can anyone tell me about this and if it is worth it.
It goes something like this.

84 months (7 yrs) Service contract that covers parts AND labor for everything mechanical in the coach:

Plumbing systems (tanks, valves, toilet, sink, water pump, water fittings, etc)
Electronics including all wiring, TV, stereo, etc
All appliances including AC, furnace, refridgerator
Slide out room(s) – this is a big one as repairs to these are very expensive labor wise
Small things like latches, door handles, power awning motors, etc are also covered.
$50 deductible at any Camping World or $100 deductible anywhere else

60 month warranty Interior/Exterior sealants
Protects the outside of the coach against UV damage, oxidation, fading, sticker peeling or cracking, etc – NO need to wax for 5 years!
Protects the inside of the coach (carpet, furniture, upholstery, leather, fabric, vinyl) against ANY type of stains with a 5 yr replacement warranty.
Nhector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:22 PM   #2

Pass

The two year warranty will flush out 99% of the problems. 35 mth for 7 years is ~3200, you can basically purchase all new mechanicals in a RV/TT for $3200. The big issue in RVs today's, and always, are leaks. No warranty covers against those, so if you develop a leak you are on your own for an expense that will easily exceed $3200

My advice, put $3200 is a seperate account, even if that is by just putting the $35 month, and declare that your RV repair account.

Then be very diligent with you every 6 mth inspection of all your caulking and other seals/seams. Touch up the caulking as necessary.

Doing these two things I think you will be way ahead of the game.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:41 PM   #3

X2
Old 12-13-2015, 10:43 PM   #4

My TT is 5 years old now and I have replaced nothing!!!
Old 12-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #5

Save your money... Start putting $35.00 a month into an account for RV repairs.. you will save yourself a lot doing that. Most of these companies routinely REJECT claims to save themselves $$$. Remember your Jayco comes with a 2 year warranty bumper to bumper.. Some parts come with longer manufacture's warranty..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #6

Extended Warrantees are a rip off that are virtually all profit for the dealer who sells them. LIke others have said, just put the $$'s aside in a savings account to pay for repairs as needed. EW's are essencially prepaying for a significant repair that MIGHT develop down the road. Same issues in autos, and ask yourself how many engine or tranny problems have you had with a car in the first 7 years. They sell these things to people who are risk adverse and want to "protect" themselves from potential surprises. They must sell some because they offer them on all kinds of products, often without regard to how stupid you would have to be to buy the coverage. Just bought an Amazon Fire tablet for a grandson that cost $50 and they offered an EW for $20. Really??? If I was that concerned, I'd just buy 2 of the tablets and keep one as backup.

Lay down your pen and walk away. The dealer is trying to screw you and maybe make a bigger profit on the EW than they might have on the TT./
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:00 AM   #7

You also should be clear that a 7 yr extended warranty only provides coverage for 5 years since the factory warranty covers the first 2 years.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #8
Site Team

The majority opinion on this forum has always been they are a waste of money. I personally know a motor home owner who had one of these warranties and when he needed it and filed a claim he discovered the issuer was defunct. And as mentioned they do not cover leaks or leak damage which is the # 1 cause of major repair bills in RV`s.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #9

For the most part extended warranties are a sham. Especially on a travel trailer if you are handy there is very little you cannot fix yourself.

When all is said and done, unless you can get that warranty for $500 or less, I'd pass. Best to put $1200 in the bank and use it as your personally extended warranty. And more than likely you'll never touch it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Nobody knows the answer, it is all about probabilities, and ability to help yourself or not.

I'm a great advocate of RV owners up-skilling themselves and taking on most of the house repairs themselves...in other words, doing the warranty work myself, even much of the new warranty work - just send me the parts.

My basic goal is to get back on the road quickly.

However...and having said that...
Many years ago I bought a used Chrysler with a turbo. I chose to believe the salesman who said the turbo had a high likelihood of failing, so I should have a warranty. A couple of months after I bought the car the turbo failed at a cost 4x the cost of the warranty. The warranty company paid for the whole thing.

As to those who might argue, as I have read in other forums, about warranty companies making a profit...seems they forget that a company can't exist if it doesn't make a profit and really, many people are happy not to have to use their insurance, be it medical, house, car, whatever.

I happy to have car or rv breakdown on the road insurance, and happy never to use it.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
Nobody knows the answer, it is all about probabilities, and ability to help yourself or not.
X-2

It also depends on the actual underwriter. The one I bought is backed by Great American Financial, a very large Insurance Co. The dealer also has a credit card to use for payment if I run into a problem finding someone who will work directly with the warranty company. Our policy, which I read very thorougly is more "Inclusive" than *exclusive" it also covers mobile service calls.

When we had the SENECA they paid for a new radiator instantly and we still got a partial refund when we traded.

Read it thoroughly then make the decision, as was mentioned it's an insurance policy and so far they've worked for us.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote