Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2022, 06:55 AM   #1

Extending slide out floor

Hello al.. I have a 2021 Precept 31UL. I want to replace the fold out sofa with power recliners, but the slide out floor needs to be extended about 10 inches. I could just add a piece of plywood on top of the floor and bolt it down, adding extra weight and height. Is there a way to just add an extension onto the floor as it is? Does anyone know how thick the floor in that particular slide out is already? Thanks much.
RevRicW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:59 AM   #2

If I'm understanding you correctly wouldn't it be easier to attach to the recliners instead of the slide floor? You would need something non marring like felt.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:03 AM   #3

Slide out floor

Thanks for the reply. I am. not sure that I can just attach an extension onto the recliners themselves, as they will have to be secured onto the slide out floor. The floor is only 32 inches long and I need 40 inches total for the feet of the recliners to rest on the floor.
RevRicW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:10 AM   #4

Why not buy recliners with the same footprint as the sofa.

Slide components such as motors etc are based on weights and other slide factors. Modifying the slide and adding weight could cause other problems and possibly void any existing warranty that is in effect.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:17 AM   #5

It is hard to comment without seeing your set up, however, When I replaced my couch with swival recliners three years ago, I faced the same issue. 8o percent of the chair mounting ring did fit on my existing slide floor so I bolted it doen, and about 4 inches of the chair stands proud past the end of the slid floor-- Looks and functions fine. Full disclosure, I did away with the seat belts, and we do not use them while in motion.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:18 AM   #6

Sorry, I may be way off here. You need the recliner feet level. I'm trying to reduce your weight. Why put plywood under the entire area of it's just the feet that need to be raised? If you're just trying to level front to back and allow for the slide to come in and out ( I assume there is room when closed) could something like these be added to level?

https://www.rockler.com/heavy-duty-lifting-leveler
Old 02-04-2022, 07:55 AM   #7

I have the 31 UL with recliners. If you extend the slide floor 10”, you will not be able to walk through with the slides closed. I have recliners in mine and mounted mine on slides so I could move them back against the wall while traveling and out so they recline without hitting the back wall. Even tho hey are wall huggers you still need some space between them and the wall.
The floor is 3/4 plywood. I did add a 2x4 to the front of the slide to bring it out some when putting the new floor down removing the carpet.
Attached Thumbnails
31596E22-CF7C-4677-AA45-3AF82AE80E31.jpg   8EFB5E31-7244-4ACD-9F4B-365B4972BD19.jpg  
Old 02-04-2022, 08:24 AM   #8

Here it is closed.
Attached Thumbnails
829E6DAC-ED0B-400A-9FF1-0489210E7962.jpg  
Old 02-04-2022, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
I have the 31 UL with recliners. If you extend the slide floor 10”, you will not be able to walk through with the slides closed. I have recliners in mine and mounted mine on slides so I could move them back against the wall while traveling and out so they recline without hitting the back wall. Even tho hey are wall huggers you still need some space between them and the wall.
The floor is 3/4 plywood. I did add a 2x4 to the front of the slide to bring it out some when putting the new floor down removing the carpet.
I like your thinking.. 'There's always a way' Good job
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:49 PM   #10

RevRic, I ran into a similar problem when I replaced the our sofa with entertainment seating (reclining seating) and the front recliner feet hung over about 4” too far when positioned to allow the seat backs room to recline. I see yours hang over about 10”. What I did was cut some small (maybe 3”x4”) rectangle pads from some scrap (laminate flooring, plywood would be good too) I had that was close to the thickness of the recliner feet (about 3/8”). I positioned them as far forward as I could and still be on solid slider flooring and screwed through the recliner frame, pads and into the slider floor. I also screwed the rear of the recliners down without the rectangle pads. If you have your new seating I’d suggest mocking it up to see if there is a balance issue that would put too much stress on the recliner frame. A couple of 2x4 sections, one for each side of the recliner and some plywood spacers for the front 2x4. Position the front edges of the 2x4 to simulate the edge of your slide floor. Take some careful measurements for placement of the 2x4 and experiment moving it back and forward a bit to find the “sweet spot”. It has worked great for me for the last 2/3 years.

When I first got the recliners I didn’t screw them down and found they moved around too much while we were moving, revisited the issue and came up with the above solution. Our slide is carpeted and all this went on top of the carpet.

If this won’t work for you perhaps screwing some angle iron pieces (24” or so) to the slide floor and the recliner frame sitting in those and screwed through them into the slide floor. The angles would support the overhang. I think this too could be mocked up.

Take some measurements to insure you don’t pick too long a screw, you don’t want them to come through the bottom of the floor.

Our original sofa was an “L” shape and had a fold-out with an air mattress bed. Our son and DIL “slept” on it when they traveled with us and I would find them both in our original recliners in the morning. I found the sofa to be too short for my thighs for comfortable sitting. My neighbor helped me remove it and I put it on the curb for “heavy trash day” and didn’t bother to wave good bye when it was collected.

Good luck! And let us know how it goes.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 01:10 PM   #11

Hello,
What types of slides did you buy to move the furniture back?
SuperCop205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recliners, slide out floor