Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #1

Exterior paint and vinyl protectant

I went through the exterior finish protectant/sealer and interior fabric treatment package sales pitch in my recent purchase of a Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW in February, and, per advice on forums such as this one, declined the expensive offer. I presumed I could do some level of effective exterior treatment myself, but what appears to be the best stuff so far is 303 Aerospace Protectant Ultimate UV Protection. Anybody have experience with it or know of anything better? It appears to be something you have to reapply 2-4 times a year, which is a lot more trouble than what the dealer claimed for the expensive treatment package they sell, which was "one and done" forever, if I understood correctly which seemed a bit too good to be true.

Also, I'm a bit curious as to why I can't seem to find any products or treatment services similar to the stuff the dealers offer in online searches. Doesn't seem to be any competition out there. Anyone know anything more about this?

Thanks for any insights.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:32 PM   #2

Did you search under snake oil?

You can spray fabric protectant on yourself.

As for the exterior, the 303 is good for some parts, and for the siding, decals, etc., use a good quality wax.

The stuff that is "one and done"....I have some of it...I keep it at my unicorn ranch on the moon.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:23 PM   #3

Just found this:

http://www.toughguard.com/wp-content...d_Brochure.pdf

Says one application good for 5 years. Uses "Nanoscience". Haven't seen how to get it or get it done, however. Wonder if it's equivalent to what the unicorn salespersons are peddling.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:48 AM   #4

I recently bought a Ryobi cordless orbital polisher, I used that to apply the Meguiars RV cleaner/ wax, changed the pad to take it off and make it shine? Rig looks brand new! I will do this once a year. I haven't found a miracle wax that stays on longer then a year.
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
I went through the exterior finish protectant/sealer and interior fabric treatment package sales pitch in my recent purchase of a Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW in February, and, per advice on forums such as this one, declined the expensive offer. I presumed I could do some level of effective exterior treatment myself, but what appears to be the best stuff so far is 303 Aerospace Protectant Ultimate UV Protection. Anybody have experience with it or know of anything better? It appears to be something you have to reapply 2-4 times a year, which is a lot more trouble than what the dealer claimed for the expensive treatment package they sell, which was "one and done" forever, if I understood correctly which seemed a bit too good to be true.

Also, I'm a bit curious as to why I can't seem to find any products or treatment services similar to the stuff the dealers offer in online searches. Doesn't seem to be any competition out there. Anyone know anything more about this?

Thanks for any insights.
I use 3M Marine wax. It does a good job although NOT much fun to do................
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote