Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2020, 04:14 PM   #21

Well, after realizing my Garmin 760dezl was having a few aging problems, battery failing to charge and new battery having problems, I laid out a few dollars for the 785dezl.

The 785dezl differs from the RV 785 in that it's geared to long haul truckers. The 760, to it's credit, had a semi-truck, RV and car mode. The 785dezl is pretty much for long haulers but you can still enter your rigs, stats (height, width and length) and be pretty comfortable. It also has a car mode you can switch to.

You may be asking why I didn't go for the RV 785. Well, Garmin must have figured RVers have deeper pockets as the RV 785 costs about $100.00 more.

The 785 is WIFI ready (updates without having to hook to a computer), has a built in dash cam and connects to your smart phone for traffic and weather updates. There is also an app that allows you to move video from the 785 dash cam to your phone.

Interesting it has a lot of goodies that are Android based but I tried loading a few things simply things like the Google Play Store but they don't work. I don't believe it has much of a computer processor in and Garmin states if you download "Side" items, there is no guarantee they will work.

One more thing I like about this GPS, the mount is a strong magnet! Very easily removed from vehicle for safe keeping!

The 785dezl does not contain a lot of RV related info that the RV785 does, so that may be a consideration over saving some $$$$.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #22

I'm still happily using a Garmin RV760 LMT that I bought in 2015 after a lot of research. I've been happy with a number of Garmin products so the brand wasn't up for much debate. I can't offer any help with newer models and features, just my experience with the Garmin RV line.
pokergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
Hi all, I must be doing something wrong I tried to do a search here but I get a no results reply... odd! Anyway I'm looking to buy a new GPS for my Jayco Pinnacle....phone app or separate unit. What is your choice? My Fifth Wheel is 40.6' overall not including my Truck....thank you in advance and please BE SAFE!!!! John
Phone + Google Maps downloaded for offline mode.
kyleebrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
Hi all, I must be doing something wrong I tried to do a search here but I get a no results reply... odd! Anyway I'm looking to buy a new GPS for my Jayco Pinnacle....phone app or separate unit. What is your choice? My Fifth Wheel is 40.6' overall not including my Truck....thank you in advance and please BE SAFE!!!! John
I’ve had 4 Magellan’s 2 of them failed and were replaced. The 4th was an RV GPS. They were all CRAP! Now I have a garmen 760 RV GPS and use in conjunction with a Waze app on a smart device. Works perfect ! Don’t waste your time and money like I did!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:18 PM   #25

On the 770 can you program a route using your computer into the Garmin via wi-fi?
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:22 PM   #26

Anyone miss not having real time road hazards?

We've thought about the 770 but don't want to give up the real time road alerts - vehicles on the side of the road, dead animals and bad potholes that we get from WAZE. I suppose we're going so slowly while pulling a trailer that the police alerts aren't as important.

How well do the traffic alerts work? Do people still get caught in traffic jams?
CaptainVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #27

After reading many (negative) reviews regarding Garmin, I will stick to Waze and Google Maps. The internet is full of up to date info on RV parks and trip planning.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #28
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReflection View Post
After reading many (negative) reviews regarding Garmin, I will stick to Waze and Google Maps. The internet is full of up to date info on RV parks and trip planning.

Where did you read all these negative reviews? The majority of people here who have separate Garmins like them.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Where did you read all these negative reviews? The majority of people here who have separate Garmins like them.
Amazon...but, before we discuss the legitimacy of Amazon reviews, I think it's fine that others are pleased with Garmin. I have one that has sat as back up ever since I started using used Waze. The new versions of Garmin might be excellent, I just don't see me spending the $'s unless there is a guarantee.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #30
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReflection View Post
Amazon...but, before we discuss the legitimacy of Amazon reviews, I think it's fine that others are pleased with Garmin. I have one that has sat as back up ever since I started using used Waze. The new versions of Garmin might be excellent, I just don't see me spending the $'s unless there is a guarantee.
Just like everything sold in the past, I'm not sure you should base opinions on past experience with older models. Maybe you're sorting the reviews incorrectly.

Here's the Amazon rating on the RV770 (the model I bought). It gets a 4+ Star review from over 77% of buyers. The RV780 gets the same 4+ Star review from over 83% of buyers.

The RV770 is down to $226.

Seems like the positive reviews dwarf the negative reviews..... by a lot...
Attached Thumbnails
amazon RV.jpg  
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Just like everything sold in the past, I'm not sure you should base opinions on past experience with older models. Maybe you're sorting the reviews incorrectly.

Here's the Amazon rating on the RV770 (the model I bought). It gets a 4+ Star review from over 77% of buyers. The RV780 gets the same 4+ Star review from over 83% of buyers.

The RV770 is down to $226.

Seems like the positive reviews dwarf the negative reviews..... by a lot...
Whatever...one could favor the positive reviews while one could favor the negatives. What matters is that everyone should have an opinion.

I expressed mine, you expressed yours. I will not turn this into an argument.

People will make their own decisions. That is the way is should be.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #32

Garmin

I have the garmin770. I ended up using an app, Copilot. You can enter all your info etc. I used it several times. Also tried the Garmin at same time. Pretty much the same but I prefer Co pilot app
Dannye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:25 PM   #33

I just saw that Garmin has a new 8” RV GPS, “RV navigator with a large, edge-to-edge 8" display, preloaded campgrounds, and custom routing for the size and weight of your RV or towable trailer”

Looks like it runs about $500

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote