Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #1

Smile Federal Campgrounds

Are all the federal campgrounds shut down at this time? I tried to reserve a camp site on Reserve America and the COE sites will not come up at all.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:09 PM   #2

I looked a recreation.gov and it has a banner stating some parks are closed while others are open. Go to the website to read. May offer some help.
Fyrehuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:13 PM   #3

You can't reserve COE campgrounds on Reserve America. Changed around August or so. Have to reserve federal campgrounds on Recreation.gov.
MikeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #4

Big Bend Camping

Yeah I am camping behind the headquarters at Big Bend Natl Park (in-laws work here) and yes, they have kicked everyone out of the campground up in the basin. I am pretty sure it is the same down at the other campgrounds. Official reason being “trash pile up”. No government workers around to clean up. There are still a few rangers driving around in unmarked vehicles aiding in traffic (very, very busy here for Christmas) and available for emergencies. I think this 30F weather was enough for most folks who were waiting around in the outer areas of the park to head home. They are still letting folks in who booked at the lodge but until the shutdown is over no reason to show up with your rig. I imagine all other federal parks are also shutdown.

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:09 PM   #5

If you want to come to Utah... Our state is keeping OUR parks OPEN!
Quote from the article:
"Utah’s five national parks will remain open, though with limited services.

"Parks should not take measures to keep visitors out of an area unless access presents a serious and imminent threat to human life, safety, or health, or a serious and imminent threat to the condition of a sensitive natural or cultural resource," according to Interior Department guidelines in the event of a shutdown.

But services, such as restrooms, trash collection, facilities and road maintenance, including snowplowing, campground reservations and backcountry and other permits will cease."

Read the Article: https://www.ksl.com/article/46453394...-would-be-fine
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #6

Grand Canyon open

The state of Arizona has provided funding for trash collection, custodial services for restrooms and snow removal on trails and sidewalks at the Grand Canyon. Any lodging, restaurants, grocery stores, and other services provided by non-government entities remain open. Park roads, lookouts and trails are open. NPS-operated campgrounds are open but there will be no check-in/check-out and reservation services.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:03 PM   #7

Sorry if i gave the impression that the entire park was closed. It’s open (and no admittance fee) but the campground (at least the one up in The Basin) has been vacated. Not sure how long before they would close it all down. I remember when I worked here in 92/93 and they closed the entire park. Now that was a strange event.

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:30 AM   #8

Jennings Ferry COE Campground is open and not impacted by the shutdown. Unfortunately we are temporarily impacted by Mother Nature and heavy rains a few days ago. All of our sites except 2-3 are under water due to flooding on the Black Warrior River. The river crest is expected today and then water will start receding. We should be back to normal in a few days.

We are 9 miles east of I20/I59 exit #40 in west central Alabama.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:07 AM   #9

Hi Ed, hope you are safe and enjoying this New Years Day! Have you ever been to Pickensville? I have never used COE campgrounds, but I am looking into them. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:24 AM   #10

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrehuntr View Post
Hi Ed, hope you are safe and enjoying this New Years Day! Have you ever been to Pickensville? I have never used COE campgrounds, but I am looking into them. Thanks.
I have never been to Pickensville, but I should drive up that way one day. It isn't that far. I'm so busy being retired you know.......

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 01-04-2019, 06:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Jennings Ferry COE Campground is open and not impacted by the shutdown. Unfortunately we are temporarily impacted by Mother Nature and heavy rains a few days ago. All of our sites except 2-3 are under water due to flooding on the Black Warrior River. The river crest is expected today and then water will start receding. We should be back to normal in a few days.

We are 9 miles east of I20/I59 exit #40 in west central Alabama.
The water level is down 4-5' so we are open, but we do still have a lot of trash around that flowed in, but never flows out. It has been raining for the past 2 days "again", so the river level is rising again, but not expected to get as high as 5 days ago. They are forecasting a bit over 1' less than last time as the crest. We should only lose one site to water this time.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:11 PM   #12

Thanks Ed! Stay safe!