Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2014, 05:41 AM   #1

FHU vs Electric and Water Only

In another thread, Ladywendolyn said
Quote:
I have been considering an auxiliary grey water tank that we can take to the dump station.
We had the same thought yesterday while looking at RV parks in Florida. There are a lot of them and they are crowded this time of year. None of them are perfect, and none of them are so bad we wouldn't stay there. Most places have limited availability (or none) on FHU sites, but many really nice sites are available without a sewer connection. We liked many of them better than the FHU sites we have reserved. The difference in price would easily pay for a waste tote. After that, it's just a matter of dealing with it.

I don't mind the extra chore, and the sites were so much nicer we're going to book electric and water only in the future. One place had a whole row of big beautiful sites along the Peace River without anyone camped on them. My guess is they are not allowed septic that close to the river.

Edit: Ladywendolyn's post was #499, so she is at the threshold of Senior Member. Congratulations!
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #2

We use the COE parks almost exclusively. None of the ones we stay at has sewer HU. I have a Barker Blue Tote, but so far have not had to use it. The only tank we have come close to filling is the galley grey tank, but careful dishwashing and water management at the sink helps a lot. We use the CG restrooms when possible. It's a little bit of a hassle, but, when the National Park Pass gets us a campsite for $11 a night, I can live with a little inconvenience, and our COE Parks are very nice. This has long since paid for the carrier and if I need to use it, I'll hook it over the hitch and go dump waste water. It lets us camp a lot more because the Texas State Parks are no bargain.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #3

The State Parks and COE CG's we stay at rarely have sewer hookups. Leaving in 2 weeks for a 10 day staty in a COE CG in then on to Fla panhandle for an extended stay. Will probably be ok at the Miss CG and will dump when we leave, but will have to empty the tanks several times while at the Fla site. Bought my first tote [25 gal] for this year's trip south so it will be my first live experience with the external tanks. Have had some near disasters at the dump station so I think I know the things to avoid with transfers to the tote. Not looking forward to using it, but will be a whole lot better than having to pull to the dump station every 5 - 7 days.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote