Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2020, 10:47 AM   #1

Fifth Wheels are going to get bigger

From RV Business:

Fifth-Wheel Market Adding Technology, Square-Footage

https://rvbusiness.com/fifth-wheel-m...quare-footage/
Old 06-10-2020, 11:35 AM   #2

I see a few potential problems with this already.
My Northpoint 375 has 5 slides in it now. Add a 6th slide in the front master and that's about all the more square footage you're gonna get. I don't know how they can make a slide any deeper when the 4 other slides nearly touch each other fully closed. Unless they make a slide inside of a slide. Then you're talking bigger supporting, frames are going to have to be made WAY bigger. No more wimpy 7k axles on a 16.5k trailer. Pin weight is going to go up along with the total weight of the trailer. Are they gonna keep the same lame drum brakes that don't work worth a crap or get smart and put disc brakes on for EVERYONE'S safety out there. This is gonna force more people into 1 ton dually trucks AND force the manufacturers into stepping up their game to haul these things. If they dont, they lose out and you buy a bigger truck like a 4 door Sport Chassis.
But, most likely what will happen is they will get bigger but make them even more cheap to keep the weights in check. RVIA needs to step up and force ALL the manufacturers to build a more quality product before they let them go any bigger. That's just bigger junk with more issues.
It'll be interesting to say the least.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:05 PM   #3
RPR

Making the slides deeper to give you more sq. Ft. I can see another question a campground will have to ask. How deep are your slides so they will know if they have a site to “fit” you in.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote